• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I really do like this thread. I'd like for it to stay.

Do you think maybe we could just move it? Maybe to the roundtable or Office Party? Something like that?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm thinking is that "What's on your mind?" isn't a basic writing question, and tossing every subject together like this means other writers won't be able to find whatever information is being exchanged.

Maybe we should consider wrapping this up sometime soon?
Isn't it "What's On Your Mind About Writing"? I really enjoy this thread. It's a place to share what writing issues you've been pondering or struggling with, and it's a chance to learn what problems and thoughts others are having - all without having to ask a question.

I see we're starting to stray from the topic of writing. I am guilty of helping that along. Sorry. Maybe we can get it back on track and you will move the thread instead of shutting it down????

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread will move or get shut down, but I love this thread too. Reading and hearing about other writers doesn't make me feel so alone.

As far as what's on my mind about my writing, I'm not writing at the moment. But want to. I'm in between novels, have some on submission that seems to be dragging along, too long. I do have a WIP that's 35K that I would like to start up again for the new year. I promise myself I will start up by Jan. 1st. At least start reading it again and hopefully think of some new ideas.

I had another idea for a novel, and wrote a chapter of it a couple of weeks ago, so I have something else to fall on if WIP goes flat again.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I'm hoping to finish up with the first draft by the end of the year. I'm getting so close. I finished up a chapter last night, I'm working on the last chapter today, I should finish it by tonight sometime, then I got to go back to another couple of chapters and finish them up, then write a few bits and pieces to scenes I skipped because they required research that I was not in the mood to do at the time. Can I do it? It remains to be seen.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I've hit a slow patch after reaching the highest word count I've ever managed on a single project. I want to finish this by the end of January but the well seems to have dried up. I'm going to keep at it because there are so many things I know need tweaking and rewriting, and I have other plot bunnies trying to bust out onto the paper....

Elle

Merely drifting
Registered
Reaction score
Not being able to concentrate until the last minute doesn't really work when you write for fun and have no deadline. Therefore, nothing gets done. :(

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
I'm hoping to finish up with the first draft by the end of the year. I'm getting so close. I finished up a chapter last night, I'm working on the last chapter today, I should finish it by tonight sometime, then I got to go back to another couple of chapters and finish them up, then write a few bits and pieces to scenes I skipped because they required research that I was not in the mood to do at the time. Can I do it? It remains to be seen.

You can do it!

I just completed the final chapter of my WIP. The first draft is complete! I was hoping to take a break once I finished this one, but ideas for another novel have already begun circling overhead.

I suppose my current thought about writing is that I'm glad it never ends for long.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
You can do it!

I just completed the final chapter of my WIP. The first draft is complete! I was hoping to take a break once I finished this one, but ideas for another novel have already begun circling overhead.

I suppose my current thought about writing is that I'm glad it never ends for long.

Thank you for the encouragement!

When I'm finished with the draft, I think I'm going to set it aside for a couple of weeks before I begin editing. I have the sequel to work on in the meanwhile.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
There's a few things about my writing going through my mind. Firstly, that I really need to practice being more descriptive. I'm way too bare bones when it comes to things and move them along too quickly. The worst being with emotions. I'm going to be reading through some Edgar Allen Poe though to hopefully pick up tips on that.

Secondly, trying to get out of the habit of double spacing after a sentence. I had that drilled into me all through school, only to now find out it's some archaic thing that was from the typewritter era or something.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I was about to type THE END on my main WIP & move on to another shitty first draft while it sat for a little while -- but last night I was informed that this is merely the halfway point!

What I thought would be a novella wants to put on the big-boy pants! :)

Oh & my $0.02 about the thread: please move if you must, and don't shut it down. I like popping in here to see what everyone's thinking about. I haven't been in a questioning mood lately, but don't want to just lurk all the time. :D

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Anxiety. Anxiety. Anxiety. I'm almost to the end, and it's looking good. That scares the shit out of me. It looks good. But instead of being excited, I feel a little nauseous. Don't know what to do about this.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Finished up the final chapter tonight. Probably full of errors since I'm tired, so I'll go over what I wrote tomorrow and fix it up a bit before starting on finishing up chapters and other bits left unfinished. As long as nothing kills my mojo this weekend (and the boyfriend is off work, so most likely that will) I should finish up the first draft by the new year.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for thread to remain aswell.

I tried to write something today and it just sucked. And usaully I can't tell when its bad, so not a good sign... :Shrug:

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, that I really need to practice being more descriptive. I'm way too bare bones when it comes to things and move them along too quickly. The worst being with emotions.

My writing in a nutshell, like all the time. I'm glad I'm not alone.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for thread to remain aswell.

I tried to write something today and it just sucked. And usually I can't tell when its bad, so not a good sign... :Shrug:

As you get better you notice more little things, and you might eventually think the little things make it bad.

For me, the best things I've written (which were mediocre AT BEST) were the ones that I thought were the worst.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I was just reading through this thread. It's a good thread and I really hope it remains intact. I said as much to the mod, to wit (in part):
At its core, this thread is about writing, as are the other threads in the General Writing Interest forum. I believe this thread is in the proper place. It serves the AW community.

The thread is titled, "What's on your mind about your writing?" Not "What's on your mind?" Still, it's an open question and the responses are off the cuff, from the heart, non-linear. It's a sounding board about writing, not a thread to disseminate information about writing, although I don't think either of those is mutually exclusive of the other.

A lot of people write in isolation. I think it's important to have a place where writers can talk about how they feel about their work, and share that with other writers.

Fingers crossed. :)

Last edited:

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Another vote for keeping this thread! It's a great comfort to know that others are having the same self-sabotaging thoughts.

That said, I am currently considering giving away writing all together as I have obviously squeezed out the small amount of talent I did have and now just write words with punctuation betwixt.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Not at mid-way point of WIP and I've racked up 60K words. This is an ongoing problem. It is on my mind all day, every day.

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
I vote for keeping the thread as well. You never know what someone could learn from it!

I've finished a scene outline, now that I've switched one of my characters from minor to major status, and today I plan on doing a chapter outline and going through my first draft to see what's staying and what's getting scrapped. There are two major issues I need to work out before I start the rewrite, so I'll try to sort them out today amidst some work I have to get done.

As an aside, I haven't heard from my writing buddy in about three weeks now, so I'm getting a tad anxious. I've been trying to get him to join AW, but he barely has enough time to write his story and respond to my e-mails, let alone join a forum. Oh well.

Good luck, everyone.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
I also hope the thread stays.

Today I can't stop thinking about writing... which is how it always seems to be when I'm supposed to be giving myself a break as a job well done. I think I will try to hold out until after the first to start the next manuscript. Maybe I'll try to catch up on some reading instead.