Bragging Rights: Let us congratulate you! (Please excuse the brag.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel! I just got an email from my favorite editor. She apparently just got an email from a guy that I interviewed for a cover story a couple of months ago. He was so thrilled with the story that he wanted to ask for a copy of the story to print out and frame. Aieee!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna pop... can't stand it any more... I just got a phone call from another editor. I now have 6 articles requested (I just turned one in yesterday, so it would have been 7 otherwise). I don't have time for queries at all right now... this is so exciting!

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Yay I just got paid $55 (10 cents a word) for my first ever [real] acceptance. Article took about 45 minutes to write.

Woo hoo! Look out world, here I come...

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I had to brag to someone, thank god this thread is here.

Ahem...

Last month I made the most I've ever, ever made in my freelancing career at $5,600. Two of my clients were offering a bonus (I made over $1800 on sheer bonus) and I wrote like a scalded dog all month.
It felt good, really good to do it.
And now I can relax and breathe and realize it probably won't EVER happen again, haha.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
Ahem...

Last month I made the most I've ever, ever made in my freelancing career at $5,600. Two of my clients were offering a bonus (I made over $1800 on sheer bonus) and I wrote like a scalded dog all month.
It felt good, really good to do it.
And now I can relax and breathe and realize it probably won't EVER happen again, haha.

That is AWESOME!!!

anonymice

Registered
Reaction score
First Feature for this Real estate website!

They just published my first feature for Inman news. I'm so proud. (excuse the brag) ;)

Thanks for your help guys, all the info here is awesome.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
When I decided to put novels aside and go the freelance route, I first looked to write about my passionate hobby: genealogy. My first query resulted in an assignment with a national genealogy magazine, and they wanted it fast "for the next issue". I submitted the article about a week ahead of schedule. It was accepted and I reviewed the proofs this week.

Now all I need is the paycheck.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hurrah, NDG (and those posted above)!

I'd posted this in the Mod Room this week, but wasn't sure where to post in the forums until bumping into this thread today. Anyway, two copies of Highlights for Children (July 2009) arrived this week with my "A Letter From Camp" poem on a two-page, wonderfully illustrated centerfold spread! If you happen to go to a doc's or dentist's office this summer, you can find it on pages 22-23. (Click here for the poem/spread photo, if interested. :) I am so thrilled with that illustrator, I'm beside myself.)

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh, Pat...it is gorgeous. CONGRATULATIONS!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt, they are one terrific magazine to write for, though you should be aware they require that you sell all rights (but of course pay you handsomely). They also are very careful about what they publish for children; for instance, I had to edit out a meatball fight in the first submission--as they want to always suggest the highest standards for kids. But they are wonderful, personable people to work with, and they are top-quality publishers to boot.

Kevin, poet-buddy, thank you! (and for becoming my 100th FB "friend"!) :D

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
Matt, they are one terrific magazine to write for, though you should be aware they require that you sell all rights (but of course pay you handsomely). They also are very careful about what they publish for children; for instance, I had to edit out a meatball fight in the first submission--as they want to always suggest the highest standards for kids. But they are wonderful, personable people to work with, and they are top-quality publishers to boot.

Hmmm. Think they'll take kid-oriented jokes? I'd write to be as funny as I could without being too over their heads...and being, well, not typical horrible kid's humor.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Think they'll take kid-oriented jokes? I'd write to be as funny as I could without being too over their heads...and being, well, not typical horrible kid's humor.

Your best bet is to pick up a copy next time you're at the doc's or dentist's and look it over to get a feel for the type of thing they're looking for. (If it's an old issue, they'll likely even let you take it home, if you ask.) Good luck!

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Hurrah, NDG (and those posted above)!

I'd posted this in the Mod Room this week, but wasn't sure where to post in the forums until bumping into this thread today. Anyway, two copies of Highlights for Children (July 2009) arrived this week with my "A Letter From Camp" poem on a two-page, wonderfully illustrated centerfold spread! If you happen to go to a doc's or dentist's office this summer, you can find it on pages 22-23. (Click here for the poem/spread photo, if interested. :) I am so thrilled with that illustrator, I'm beside myself.)
Thanks, Pat. And congrats on this success. Well deserved.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
A hearty congrats to all here!!

I have had a good month...I have been contracted to write a calendar about senior health issues and I got an acceptance for a piece in "Living Without" magazine...

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Been a little bit since I've been posting here, but I'm quite proud that I got my first national glossy published -- an article on Computing in The Old Schoolhouse magazine. Yay!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the writers above for your submissions and successes!

The Lutheran Journal arrived in my mailbox this week with the first time pub of my poem, "The Chalice". (Amazing, as that submission was back in 2005!) Their pay rates have gone up, too, I'm happy to report, for any of you writing devotional poetry (they pay on publication). However, it seems they now only publish once a year (August). Something to keep in mind...

Also, got an email from Highlights this AM about a submission I sent in 2 weeks ago; the preschool-level poem was rejected; the other one ("Under My Bed") they said they were interested in with a little "tweaking"... I tweaked away, and sent it back this afternoon, so fingers crossed.... I'll post back in here for an update when I get final word. :)

Last edited:

gambit78

Registered
Reaction score
Pat I'm freaking out here, did you query online for Highlights, or did you submit by snail-mal and got an emaily reply back? I was grumbling over sending snail-mail submissions for them, and not knowing what to expect.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Okay, my newest editor told me I could announce it even though I don't start until October 1...

I'm the new Grammar Guide blogger at www.freelancewritinggigs.com!! I've known Deb for a few years now and she is an amazing person so I'm thrilled beyond words to be working for her.

I'll be offering tips, tricks, advice and occasional rants about proper grammar and usage. :) Which is the PERFECT column for me since I'm such a grammar and editing dork. :)

Since we're all writers here, feel free to PM me if there are certain topics you'd like to see covered -- I'm there to answer all your grammar conundrums and questions. :)

Last edited: