Status
Not open for further replies.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
See, I could argue for sentience in vegetables (self-awareness on the other hand, not so much).

I do have a good friend who is vegetarian, and who explains her reasoning as, "You can't exactly torture a vegetable to cut costs." If there were ever a sentiment that could convince me to go vegetarian, this would be it.

Perhaps sentience is the wrong word? As a person whose religious beliefs are complex but finds it easier to describe herself as an 'atheist' I hesitiate to use words like 'soul' but sometimes it's the best way to describe what I mean.

That sense that the creature is more. Elephants, some higher primates and some dolphins/whales seem to have it. They mourn their dead, create art (if given the tools) and have rituals.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
On the tail end of our creepiness conversation, anyone who has not given this a listen at least once should. You might laugh at it or might find it genuinely creepy, but either way it's interesting.

Definitely not realistic at all, but what internet creep story is?

Um, squick warnings for blood and trigger warnings for wartime medical-y stuff.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
That sense that the creature is more. Elephants, some higher primates and some dolphins/whales seem to have it. They mourn their dead, create art (if given the tools) and have rituals.

There are some dogs I would consider it murder to kill for their meat, and some humans I wouldn't. So I definitely know what you mean.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
There are some dogs I would consider it murder to kill for their meat, and some humans I wouldn't. So I definitely know what you mean.

Yeah. Most domestic animals seem to only have it on an individual basis, (my parents last cat, Olive, had it but their current cat, Zeus, is just a sweet animal) but there are some species where it's so widespread throughout the species it's not worth the risk.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
Witness the Power of the Pixie's Quoteiness!!

I think I've always had a soft spot for brawling-based action heroes anyway. I always find myself wishing there were more of them, or wanting to cram existing figures into the category.

You'll love Hulk. :3

ETA: In the Avengers, I meant. I'm not familiar with the Hulk outside of the Marvel movie-verse. In fact, I'm not familiar with any of the Marvel heroes outside of the movie-verse. 0.o

Well, according to my friend, Steve (well, Chris Evans) doesn't look silly doing anything. I had to hear about "how pretty" he was during all of Captain America and the Avengers. :e2smack:
I won't deny the 'pretty', but that boy could be ugly as a rotten tomato and I'd still be a fan, so long as he keeps his acting chops. Some may disagree with me, but I think he's one of the better American actors of the day. Along with Robert Downey Jr. Iron man = <3

I...

I'm with my people.

Oh, God, I've been so alone.

I had the exact same reaction.

Welcome! :D

I have a very large rack!

I have no rack.

:e2cry:

Eight? Jesus... I once discovered 3 in my bedroom at once and was this close to just signing over the lease to them and quietly removing myself.

When I was around ten I climbed on an old woodpile that was in my backyard. Apparently I was making too much noise for the pile's tenants, as they quickly proceeded to swarm me and send me crying back to mommy. I think she counted somewhere around thirteen hornet stings on me.

ETA: I harbor no ill-will towards hornets, though. The incident taught me a good deal of respect for them. The same goes for the dog that bit me in the face when I was two. I still love dogs, but I will never allow myself to fully trust them, nor will I ever own one that has the ability to greatly injure me like that again. I'll stick with cats. <3

If there is a wasp within seeing distance of me, I can not do anything except follow it around with my eyes. I may even occasionally forget to keep breathing. XD

I named a visiting hornet George. It quickly flew away.

Not sure what that means...

ROFLMAO! City folks! You so funny!

I had a wasp land on my bare flesh yesterday. I grumbled at it until it flew away. I had one land in my hair once; I got stung because I didn't position my fingers right when I picked it up to be rid of it. I have some friends, brothers, who have the funniest way of dealing with wasps: one of them catches them by the wings with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and then throws them on the ground, where is brother smashes them with a ball-peen hammer. Yeah, there's generally alcohol involved.

Wasps ain't scary. Spiders, on the other hand....

:flamethrower

I can handle the little spiders, like the jumping spiders, but when they get any bigger than that, I'm like, "DantheresaspiderinmyroomGOKILLIT!"

I once saw an owl carry off a small house cat. That was a strange day.

Me and Mr String were once waiting in the drive through at the bank (for a really long time) and we saw a crow fly down in front of us and start muching on a young rabbit.

It was insanely fascinating.

I disagree with your thesis Liosse. There are no cute spiders. Ever. By their very definition anything with that many legs, than many eyes, and that can cling to any surface can never be cute. It can only ever be horrifying.

I used to think hermit crabs were adorable, until I watched one crawl out of its shell. I've never looked at them the same way since.

I tend to have a rule that if it's clever enough I could argue for sentience I won't eat it.

So...there are some humans you'd eat, then?

So, I was sat here, reading internet things, headphones on, singing along. Happy in my own little world. I turn around, and there is a husband sat on the sofa where there was no husband before.

Somehow he opened the door, came up the stairs and settled himself onto the sofa without me noticing. It was a bit of a shock.

And then I licked his forehead.

:roll:

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
On the tail end of our creepiness conversation, anyone who has not given this a listen at least once should. You might laugh at it or might find it genuinely creepy, but either way it's interesting.

Definitely not realistic at all, but what internet creep story is?

Um, squick warnings for blood and trigger warnings for wartime medical-y stuff.

Ever played Bioshock?

The splicers were based physically on early attempts on reconstructive plastic surgery for WWI veterans.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I should step away from this eating certain animals convo ;)

But I will say that in an ideal world I would not have to raise really personable and awesome chickens, in a respectable way, then slaughter them quickly after a brief moment of stress from being caught, just so I could avoid supporting the broiler industry any more than I 'have' to. Because trust me, respect is so far from the bottom line it's horrid.

Which is why some guy in a restuarant ordering horse steak does not please me, but some guy who has respectfully worked with horses for years and decides an old horse is no longer worth the upkeep can do what he wants, as long as the respect is there to the end.

AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON PIGS YOU SICK EATERS OF MASS PRODUCED BACON!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'M JUDGING YOU!

You look in an animal's eyes before you eat him/her or his/her kin!

Still judging!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Ever played Bioshock?

The splicers were based physically on early attempts on reconstructive plastic surgery for WWI veterans.

Will you believe me when I tell you I have never, in my life, played any videogame in the known universe? There are three I have watched someone else play: COD, that one with characters from Mario and Zelda and shizz duelling eachother, and Portal.

But one of the things I find interesting about that vid is that if you take out the girlish giggling and the wooooo they all diiiiiiied within a mooooonth and have him use only skin as opposed to all flesh, I can actually see someone working under those conditions entering into a dissociative state that would allow them to do that. It would be quite unlikely, but far from unheard of.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ace, don't interupt when I'm judging people.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And on that crazy note, goodnight all.

Goodnight moon.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I'M JUDGING YOU!

Still judging!

Bacon eyes? You mean, like, two over easy eggs above the bacon (which forms a mouth)?

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Yes.

I say, "Hello, and thank you, Wilbur."

Should I mention here that when I lived in the Philippines, many of our large celebrations would have a roast pig as part of the dinner? Whole pig. Roasted on a spit and everything.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Will you believe me when I tell you I have never, in my life, played any videogame in the known universe? There are three I have watched someone else play: COD, that one with characters from Mario and Zelda and shizz duelling eachother, and Portal.

I believe you, I never saw a Star Wars movie until I was 17 and I have never seen a James Bond movie.

But one of the things I find interesting about that vid is that if you take out the girlish giggling and the wooooo they all diiiiiiied within a mooooonth and have him use only skin as opposed to all flesh, I can actually see someone working under those conditions entering into a dissociative state that would allow them to do that. It would be quite unlikely, but far from unheard of.

Indeed, finding refuge on a repetitive task over and over...

Speaking of it...

The Swedish Symphony!

Status
Not open for further replies.