About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
More established guides frequently "recycle" old blog posts, updating the content and republishing. This makes sense, because it keeps the site from being "cluttered" with similar blog posts. Blogging about older content also makes sense, because most people will never have seen years-old blog posts.

As for articles, it might make sense to repackage some content into a new template or a new focus as time goes on, while leaving the original active (unless it's performing really badly).

Mandy, having the topic removed from the list is a bad sign. In my case, my topic was removed and then added again (I don't know whether someone was approved and then dropped out at the last minute, or if there was another reason). However, most of the time the topic is removed from the list when a new Guide has been chosen but the site hasn't gone live yet.

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well, the bad news is ... I still haven't heard if I passed prep.

And the good news is ... I still haven't heard if I passed prep. :)

So I figure I have the weekend to add more content and demonstrate that I can produce abundant and very clean copy when I'm not sidelined by strange health issues.

Yay!

Kari

hackwriter13

Registered
Reaction score
Up Live and happy to be part of the About.com nation.

I'm at sportscareers.about.com

Thanks to all of you for your words over the past few months I was looking for information and guidance. Much appreciated!

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
O.K. Whether or not I get the About.com gig, what a wonderful time I've had trying!

Today the sun actually shone up here near the 49th parallel, so my husband and I took the kids to one of our oceanfront / marina parks to throw the frisbee in the sunshine ("sunbreaks" are a BIG deal here in February). While there I walked down to the fishermen's side of the marina and bought some fresh flounder off the boat for 90 cents a pound. It was exciting as always with my youngest, at 7, determined to try to walk as close to the end of the pier as possible and tightrope-walk the edge of the dock adjacent to the 20-ton fishing boat. Yet what fun to trade recipes with a professional fisherman, then go home and make fish stock for a really incredible fish au gratin (fiskgratäng, in Swedish) recipe! Now my husband and children are more worried than I am that I won't get this food site, 'cause they're concerned that we'll all go back to Kraft tuna mac on a far too regular basis (Och aye. That's because they don't know about my backup plan to source sheep stomachs and present haggis to the American public).

I do wish that I'd find out about whether I graduated, one way of the other. But the longer the wait, the more I cook and publish. This is clearly the best writing query project I've ever tried. :)

Kari

Last edited:

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Today is the first time I have gotten to check in here for the past few days. I can't believe how many posts I have missed. This certainly is an active thread.

Kari,
I saw your name first and thought...oh, Kari must have news! I see that you are still waiting. I hope you get a congrats email soon. It is obvious that you have a wonderful passion for your topic. I see your family members are keeping their fingers crossed, too. :)

Julie and KM, good wishes to you both.
Chris, your Sports Career site looks great! Congrats on going live.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
I wanted to show my face and say thank you to everyone for sharing your tips and experiences! I haven't applied for a position yet, but I feel so much better prepared after reading this thread. It's been fun to see people go from application to a live site.

Although, I did have one disappointing moment when I realized how recently a bread baking topic was available. I'm a professional baker and pastry chef, with a culinary degree, and that would have been a real "wow" topic.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back, or just going live! Hopefully my perfect topic will come along soon and I will be there with you.

-Kim

lrybrn

Registered
Reaction score
A hop, skip, and jump away from Rowan Oak
Hi again --

I'm currently going through Prep for the College Life topic and am wondering about the importance of credentials.

When I applied for the topic, I did not really expect to be selected for Prep, mainly due to a lack of credentials. I don't fit any of their descriptions of an ideal candidate. In fact, when I applied, I just told them that I am a recent college grad who wrote a column for the newspaper at my school for a year and a half and won a couple of awards for it along the way. Now, I feel like I'm churning out quality content during Prep, but I wonder if my candidacy will be doomed by my lack of credentials.

When push comes to shove, is content more important than credentials? Did anyone else find themselves in a similar situation when going through Prep?

Thanks, Laura

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Laura--

Congrats on getting into Prep! I had the same question when I was in Prep for Petite Fashion--I wrote about fashion quite a bit but had very little retail experience and I was concerned about that, but a few people here mentioned that once you're in Prep, you're starting off on equal footing with anyone else who's in Prep. So your credentials shouldn't matter; they were good enough to get you in. Now it's up to you to produce the best content. Good luck! (btw, I didn't graduate for my topic, but I still don't believe credentials are the reason why)

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
Quick--someone strike up the band and play "Pomp and Circumstance." I've graduated from prep and will be the new guide for Scandinavian Food.

Woooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kari

P.S. Um ... when do I start panicking? :D

Last edited:

semother

Registered
Reaction score
Kari, that is fantastic! Many congrats to you and your hungry-but-well-fed family. I look forward to seeing you on the newbie list.

Kim

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Laura, credentials may get you into prep, but they won't carry you through it (and the reverse is true). I suppose if EVERYTHING was equal at the end of prep, the person with the best credentials might have a bit of an advantage, but I'm pretty sure that quality content, with the right "voice" for About is what matters most.

Huge congrats to Kari!!! As for panicking, you'll know when it's time to panic. Of course, if you're asking, feel free to start any time. =} Getting ready to go live was a bit stressful (but in a good way, like starting any great new job), but the first time I realized that people were actually reading my site, I freaked out a bit!

Welcome, also to Chris, in case I forgot to say so in the forum (I saw your post, but we've all got a stomach bug and I'm not sure I finished my reply). I supposed I'll see all of you on the newbie listserv.

I'm nearing on a lovely 5-months on the newbie listserv and was starting to get a complex. My editor assured me that I will graduate, but that she's just a bit behind. Phew! Then again, I love the newbie listserv. My channel list is entirely too quiet (We may have one original message a week.... if we're lucky).

Christy

saf1367

Registered
Reaction score
Website
legalcareers.about.com
Welcome aboard Kari and Hackwriter13, welcome to the career channel!

I have a question for the experienced guides. Do you have any tips for generating activity in your forum? I have tried, in blog posts and articles, to invite readers to participate in my forum but have had no luck!

Thanks!
Sally

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They aren't going to choose you for prep if they don't think you would make a good guide. And, once in prep, credentials really don't mean anything. It's going to be all about content, content, content. Write good quality content and write as much as you can -- but do not sacrifice quality for quantity.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
A gigantic, hearty congrats to you Kari!! What wonderful news. I am really looking forward to seeing your site and trying out a few recipes. :)

Kim,
Glad you introduced yourself. Keep us updated when you do apply for a topic. This thread really helped me get through my prep time.

Laura,
If you are already in prep, I wouldn't worry about your credentials. Put all your energy into creating great content.

Sally,
My forum is active only in spurts…and then honestly it isn’t terribly active. I really do think it takes some time to build membership. Start posting questions in your forum perhaps that will stimulate people to respond. You can also invite friends to post just to get things going. Continue to periodically mention your forum in your articles, blogs, and newsletter and include the link to your forum. In the old design, finding the forum is a little difficult, I think. I’d also ask this question on the new guide listserv or in the new guide forum. I have gotten so much help from both those places.

Keath

Kari D.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the congratulations, guys--and for all of your great advice, support, listening, and hand-holding.

They've already taken the "Scandinavian Food" topic off the available list, so I guess they really do like what I came up with it. What FUN!

Kari

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Kari, that's fantastic news! I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to see your site go live!

Sally, I'd encourage you to ask that question in the Lounge or on the Listserv - I bet you'll get some great responses! :)

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
Hi all....delurking to say a big Thank You to everyone here. Although I haven't posted, I have carefully read each and every post. The great tips and encouragement here got me all the way from applying, through Prep...and I just found out that I graduated!! I will be the new guide to Phobias *does the happy dance*!! Thanks again to everyone!!!

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, congratulations, Blackrose! I'm glad we were able to be stealth-helpful! :D

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Blackrose!
Welcome to this thread and congrats on your new guide position! Can't wait to see your site. :)
Keath

Status
Not open for further replies.