Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Happy Book Birthday, LWalker!

The stomach woes continue, but of a different sort. Hopefully, I'll be feeling normal soon.

Also, my one squee thing today is that I am going out and getting myself a copy of H0tel Tr@nsylvania. I loved it in the theatre, so excuse me while I "Blah, Blah, Blah" for several days.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mimosas all around for LWalker's book birthday? Yes, I thought so, too. And I have croissants and sweet butter.

I'm still feeling... weird. Not ill enough to live on the sofa and watch DVDs, not well enough to accomplish a damned thing. I'm at exactly the point at which I'm a bitch on wheels, only without the wheels. Funny how Mr. Maryn does not have a clue what to do or say, after all this time, but The Kid's known since she was eleven or twelve. I wish she didn't have her own life and all so she could come over and croon, "Poor Mim" for several hours.

I installed my new mouse. (I waited out the short battery life on the one it replaces, and it was like toothpaste that's nearly gone, always enough for one more use, for a ridiculously long time.) Now I not only have to adapt to something new which I don't know by touch, but figure out what the hell I do with four buttons. Anybody?

Maryn, who knows how to serve a nice cyber-brunch

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Lily- I'm not usually a "cute" person, but this one hooked me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oh! I forgot to tell our good news, because it happened during the Great Laptop Crash of 2013: Kiddo got his financial aid package from R!T.

We can afford to send him. :hooray:

He is more relieved than we are, but not by much. :) What with grants and loans and all the other stuff, he'll end up with about $40K in student loans. I know, that's a horrendous amount, but in essence he'll "only" have to pay for one year of a 5-year program.

He was thinking that despite the early acceptance, R!T just accepted everyone who applied. He found out yesterday that a classmate who also applied for early admission is "on the waiting list." Reality check: He's smart, they want him, but he's gotta work his butt off.

*whew*

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgs. Thanks for all the hugs and reps. :heart: Think I've got my feet back under me today, though I still can't believe I'm never going to see her again. Her memory is all over this campus, and I'm tripping over it every time I turn a corner. Her poor family. I can't imagine.

Anyway: I promise to be less of a downer today, yes? Yes.

Lwalker, so so happy for you! May you have the loveliest of book birthdays! :hooray:

Sammy, hope you feel better.

Kell, fingers and toes crossed for you!

Lisa, poor you. I hope you find the kitteh soon.

Lily, that's wonderful news!

Sleeping -- heh. Mr. Sunna can hold an entire, perfectly lucid conversation without waking up, which has made life fairly interesting on occasion. On certain nights he can also get up, get dressed, take the dog out, make a sandwich and come back to bed with it, and have no memory of this in the morning when I'm snarling about crumbs :rolleyes:

Luckily, this last bit is pretty rare. I used to have nightmares about him wandering out of his hotel room while on a trip.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, lwalker!!! Congratulations!!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, that's terrific!
Tomorrow we go to a meeting to tell us how to start this whole college application process...bleh.

Kiddo leaves tomorrow for model UN in Boston and he looks so grownup in his new suit and one of his dad's ties that I nearly cried. He's thrilled and will have a great time. I am thrilled I don't have to chaperone. 3000 teenagers will be there, and while these are the serious kind of teenagers, they are still teenagers.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Amarie. A bittersweet moment for sure!

Hugs to Maryn and all the other sick folk.

And yay for Lily Jr.'s financial aid! RIT is an excellent school.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thank you, guys!

*snorples purgatory*

*pops more champagne*

*swipes one of Maryn's croissants*

It's been a great day so far! :) I am on three different blogs today, so if you are bored and want to check them out and felt inclined to comment, I would greatly appreciate the traffic bump for my hosts. :D Links are on my FB page.

Lily, WOOOT for college news! 40K isn't really that much. I have friends who graduated 10+ years ago who owed more than that. And yay for smart kiddo!

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, lwalker!!!

Yay, lily!!!... I cried when I got my financial aid package to super-expensive-what-am-i-doing-here school!

I'm just crawling out of my sad-cave. Yesterday I had 5 Rs (after a long quiet spell), one of which was on a partial. Do I get some sort of medal?

I got the partial email at work (& it's my first submission rejection) and I guess I kinda turned super-strict to my student, b/c my co-worker was like "Why are you being so harsh?!" Oops. :(

But then we went and got pie after work so it was okay.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! A quick check in before getting back to the wip. I took off the last few days while my love was away to write, sleep and just hibernate. Was wonderful -- even if I didn't quite hit the writing goals I set for the days. So, it's my last day off today and I want to hit another 2,500 words at least in between laundry and straightening up from my messy solitude.

But I had to stop in and say:

Happy Book Birthday, LynDee!!!! :snoopy:

Also, congrats Lily for kid's financial aid! Relief I'm sure. :)

((Sunna)), ((Idontknow)) and anyone else in need of hugs.

Fell better Maryn!

Clovia - I chuckled and smiled at your story - good for Mr. Clovia. :)

I'm sure I missed other stuff, so hugs and highfives as needed!

~suki

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY, LW!

IDK -- So sorry to hear about the rejections. It's never fun when they pile on like that! Pie does make everything better, at least!

The on-sub waiting does not get easier over time, does it? Haven't heard a peep since the first week of December and I'm starting to get antsy. Blarrrrgh.

Hope everyone is having a good afternoon!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
"The little room." Clovia is so demure!

Isn't she? I can just imagine the way she'd clutch a towel to herself while shuffling from the shower...

And Mr. Clovia is a standup guy, so is it wrong that in my mind I think of him as K-Clo? (like K-Fed?)

Okay, as somebody who went through a two year streak of awful things that produced a lot of worry, you know what my secret is? When I find myself fretting, I force myself to imagine that I'm ballroom dancing. I do not know how to ballroom dance, but I have seen movies. So I create these elaborate fantasies about me dancing, because well, it's totally disconnected from my life. Seriously, dark hour fretters, find yourself a ridiculous fantasy to fill up your chattering monkey brain.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, as somebody who went through a two year streak of awful things that produced a lot of worry, you know what my secret is? When I find myself fretting, I force myself to imagine that I'm ballroom dancing. I do not know how to ballroom dance, but I have seen movies. So I create these elaborate fantasies about me dancing, because well, it's totally disconnected from my life. Seriously, dark hour fretters, find yourself a ridiculous fantasy to fill up your chattering monkey brain.

Ha! When I worked at my crappy corporate job I used to do something like this when the $hit got too deep. When it was really bad, everyone on my floor would be caught up in the elaborate musical numbers that played in my head -- something like the intro to Family Guy.

I'd forgotten all about that, thanks for the reminder! I've been stuck in a bad patch for a while & am going out of my skin in week 6 of a 6-8 week wait time so I'm sure it would help. :)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

critique session this morn so
a quickie.

amarie, aww! i used to be in MUN.
congrats to you and your son!

suki, go go go! any progress is a great
thing! i'm glad you took time off for your
writing. lovely.

clovia, i think that is super cool of your
hub. too funny!

happy release day, LW!!
/bootay shake!
/bootay shake!
/bootay shake!

lily pie, what fantastic news!
man, i can't imagine when it's time
for me... i will be 50 when munchkin
leaves for college.

YES, I AM COUNTING. ;*)

but it is already going by so fast.

and thank goodness for financial aid,
i think it paid for the majority of my
tuition at UCSD. 40k is fantastic coming
out of a 4 year stint these days. no joke.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Lily, I missed that great news. That's wonderful! 40k isn't too, too terrible. I know people who have taken much worse. It's all about smart debt. And it sounds like he's getting his value for his money.

Red, I love that. I'll probably just imagine a koala ballroom-dancing and start laughing.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting nothing done today. Bleh.

Did sit in on an interesting meeting about new positions they may be creating here, though, and if this one potential position doesn't pan out, I already have a good idea what I'm going to apply for next. Feels good to just have a plan.

Think I've talked Late into applying for one of the new positions too. Girl needs to work on her self-esteem, and she needs to get out of this department as badly as I do.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Lily, that's terrific news.
I have my head in the sand about young FD going to Uni. Unless a miracle happens, we have no way of paying anything towards his tuition. I hate the thought of him being saddled by loan repayments for God knows how long.

Being poor bites and I'm fecking sick and tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.