Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Amarie, that is funny.

dys, more power to you! You rock.

X-Cin, Mr. Lily really likes his job. :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: They like him, too. :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: *knocks wood for the next hour nonstop*

I was on a major editing roll last night and finally went to bed at 11:15. I hate having to stop like that, but I have to be coherent for the Day Job. Sigh.

I've offered to guest at kiddo's HS English classes, but nothing. :e2shrug:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all. Back from NYC, trying to adjust to real life again and catch up on work. Alas, did not get to meet up with Snappy because she was sick. :(

Repped a bit to catch up, but had to add a happy belated book birthday to LWalker! :hooray:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs!

Got an unintentionally funny email from a kid, very to the point:
"how old are you? You are my porject."

That's it, no closing, nothing else. I hope his class gets to letter writing etiquette at some point.

Oh dear, Amarie. That is kind of funny and a reason why I believe in genre study - as in mixing up different genres and teaching them as the need arises. I've had some hilarious moments trying to teach my German kids the difference between formal and informal address in German - though it's honestly really hard for kids here to get a hang of this when "you" is just so much more universal than "du" vs. "Sie". Maybe this kid can pick up some things on letter writing etiquette from you when you reply? Anyway, you're awesome. :)

And Jo, what Amarie said. Honestly, coming from a not exactly small school myself, it was quite a shock to me to see police officers outside of every school here and to have to register at the office etc. and that's really just standard procedure here. It's interesting and kind of frightening how fast things change and how different schools can be, but it's those kids who need to feel like people actually care more than most. Good luck anyway.

So glad Mr. Lily likes his job, Lily! And yay for editing rolls - and sleep!

I ended up only getting a nap in last night. Off to my very first supervisor evaluation today. Hopefully everyone makes it through the oncoming snow okay.

Have some hot chocolate on me, everyone. :)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

The plan is to go to lunch with a friend. Don't know where we're going yet.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's 60 degrees out. 60. On January 30. :chair

There's a semi-bad horror movie called The Last Winter where people drilling for oil in Alaska anger the Inuit spirit totems and Bad Stuff Happens. Like a 30-foot tall spirit moose. You don't want to tick off a 30-foot tall spirit moose. :tongue The lone survivor wakes up in a hospital in Juno, chaos reigns, and she opens the door onto a lake, with sirens and screaming in the background.

Thus, this kind of freak weather makes me think that humanity finally went too far and we're all about to die messy revenge-deaths.

What?

The weather forecast is for 28 degrees and snow for the next 3 days, though, so I'll stop being weirded out. I hope.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie - I've been someone's porject. It was awesome. ;)

The more I hear about the state of the school system, the more I wish I could home school kiddo. That said, her school is currently processing the paperwork to get her referred to their gifted program. Kiddo herself asked to do it, so we're going to see if she can pass the test.

Hubby's on a home improvement kick, which apparently includes finally wanting to replace the ancient washer & dryer we have. However, I'm not sure what part of "we have no money" he's not understanding, nor where he expects me to produce said money from. *sigh*

Still hoping to hear about the job.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, one thing to look into, even at awful schools which are run like prisons because no one has taught the kids appropriate behavior, is the gifted program. The one here would welcome "real" writers--hell, they welcomed me, with one commercial publication--and the gentle feedback and heavy encouragement those people can give the student who may not get it at home or in the classroom. Around here, the program starts in third grade and extends through high school, so you could even pick an age group on which to focus.

Tas, our dryer is squealing, which suggests its death is near, too. We replaced the washer a few years ago, although I don't like the new one as well as what it replaced. Sigh.

Maryn, glad her problems are this simple

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgies! Sent my revisions in last night so I feel like I'm finally rejoining the land of the living. What's happening around here? Did I miss anything good?:D

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning all
Lily, we've got the warm weather too, which is nice, except for the fact that our parking lot at work is now covered in a layer of melting glare ice. A triple-lutz later, here I am at my desk. (Although the Romanian judge totally sandbagged me.)
:rolleyes:

Amarie, lol - enjoy being a porject :)

eta: And well said, on the state of affairs in many schools these days. One of the many reasons it drives me nuts when I hear people complain about teachers...

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Maine, we are familiar with the notion of a Revenge Moose. When that rusty, yodeling bellow echoes through the pines of a dark early spring night, we hide in our houses and wish they hadn't put quite so much salt on the roads over the winter. :D

/weird. sorry.

Morning, purgs! Warm here, in the vein of freezing fog and slush: good times. Had a wonderful neuromuscular massage last night: my shoulders are such a mess I was told I'd better come back every few weeks, and talk to my doc about real pain medication. No freaking idea what I did to mess them up this badly (lately, anyway), but I guess it explains why the Migraine Fairy loves my house. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Amarie, yay for being a porject. :D

Jenn, yay for sending your revisions off!

Lwalker, so happy for you, lady. You should be proud. :Hug2:

Hugs to Smiley and IDK for the Rs. *passes the chocolate vodka*

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, Fire,Para, any others good with the tiny details of grammar and punctuation.

For a sentence like this., "The O'Brians all took their tailgating very seriously, especially Mr. O'Brian, senior....."
First of all, do you need a comma after O'Brian? And second, would senior be capitalized?

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, emailed royalty statements just aren't the same. I kinda miss my big red "Unearned" stamp across the top. (yes, I finally got my royalty statement from last August)

/sigh

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Amarie, no comma before "senior." I don't think it's capped, but I don't have any reference books here. I defer to fire and Para. :)

ETA: Eep, Tas, and I thought mine came slowly. *hugs*

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Lily - Mine was just a victim of an enormous comedy of errors. Wasn't a huge thing, since its not like there was money attached.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Sunna feel better!

Amarie - I defer to others who know more, but I agree with Lily on this one off the top of my head.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My feeling is no comma, no capital letter - Mr O'Brian senior.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Why am I feeling so stressed and upset today? Oh, right. I worked the last 35 days straight and it looks like February is heading in the same direction.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been wandering threads and I see there are Revenge Moose here. This seems like a good place to be.

ETA: Wow, Para. 35 days? You are either a workaholic or a cyborg.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Flopping in to wish LynDee a...

HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY!

Sorry I'm late. The stomach bug is still attacking...although, I'm at work today. Bleh.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I meant that the syllabus is not so much a syllabus as a... um... well, a list of rules and regulations. And the things that they have to make rules about? Kinda scary. For example,

If you make racist/homophobic/sexual remarks or "get it on" with anyone in my class, you get a zero for the day. Do it twice and I will call home.
Destroy property and you will get a detention. Do it twice and we will have a conference.

Etc. etc. Not... really the sort of thing that had to be said up front in any class I ever took. :)

This is only from my limited (< 5 years) experience teaching at the college level, but I've found myself surprised the sorts of things I have to put in my syllabus. I think it's an effect of our litigious culture. Your syllabus becomes like your contract, so whenever you enforce a policy, you can point to the syllabus. And I'd imagine in high schools, when you have to deal with students and their parents and the administrators, that's especially true. But I don't know.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

para, TAKE A BREAK! don't make me make
fire train to bristol to MAKE YOU! =)

amarie, that is hilarious!
and i think a huge advantage in writing
MG. i want to be a porject too!

tas, trust me. i've always gotten my statements
emailed and the UNEARNED is kindly put there--
in case i forgot i needed to sell 20k more hardcovers
to break even. ha!

i also checked in with cuddles and his firm
is closing and he's working on being acquired
by another--so super busy. we miss you cuddles!

art volunteering this morn!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
1. lily pie, how is mr. lily adjusting to
full time work?

This just makes me smile every time I see it.

2. blondie, how is your bff and his new
boys?

Slowly. I think he's finally regaining some HIM time now that the boys are both in school full time. But yesterday he was texting me because the younger boy was sick and he had to take him to the doctor and then get a prescription and it literally took him all afternoon. He said, "Is this morning?" Yes. Yes, it is.

I'll see them all this weekend. My mom is coming down specifically to meet the boys. She considering Roi (my BFF) her "other son" (did I mention Roi and I have the same birthday? Yeah, freaky) so she wants to meet the new family. SuperBowl Sunday, OMG GO NINERS!!!!, and she's already bought the boys their own 49ers jerseys. Should be a fun weekend.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Why am I feeling so stressed and upset today? Oh, right. I worked the last 35 days straight and it looks like February is heading in the same direction.

para, TAKE A BREAK! don't make me make
fire train to bristol to MAKE YOU! =)

Dude, your head will asplodey if you don't take a breather.

I will take a train to Bristol and you can pay for the ticket. :D
Actually, no, I can drive, it's only an hour away.

*rolls up sleeves* *prepares the Handbag of Doom*

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
you have a handbag of doom, fire?
*peers*

blondie, aww. it's amazing how one
task takes half the day. and when i say
amazing, i mean hair pulling out madness!
and how lovely your mom is visiting to meet
the boys!! yay!

i love superbowl because we can go to our
fave places to eat and it is uncrowded for
dinner! i have no idea what teams are playing. ha!

hub, being english, doesn't care.
but then, he cares little for english footie either.

Status
Not open for further replies.