• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pippin Properties Inc.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From The Lunch:

At Pippin Properties, Elena Mechlin has been named literary agent and will continue managing the agency's foreign and audio rights.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From The Lunch:

Julie Just, who became an agent at Janklow & Nesbit in late 2010 after working at the NYT Book Review as children's book editor, is moving to Pippin Properties on May 1. Pippin founder Holly McGhee says: "We were looking to expand our agency and had just signed a new office lease when we began talking to Julie. Since we are interested in representing our authors’ and artists’ work across all genres, including more YA and adult trade books as well, Julie Just is exactly the right fit."

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
QueryTracker.net lists Julie Just as accepting adult fantasy, but no other information I've googled agrees with that. Pippin Properties represents primarily children's stories, but their website says, "We also represent adult projects on occasion." Thoughts on querying her?

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Julie a few days ago about my adult contemporary romance ms. I got a request for a partial yesterday!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not seeing Joan Slattery or Julie Just on their website. Does anyone have any info on them? Literary Rambles suggests Joan has left the agency.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Joy. I wish Julie were still agenting, but I hope she's happy in her current situation.

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Just wanted to let everyone know that a new agent has joined Pippin. Her name is Heather Alexander. She just left a position at Dial, so she is probably looking to build her list. Happy querying to all!

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
For those who have submitted to this agency, may I ask how you formatted your query? The website says:

"Don't forget to number your pages. There's nothing worse than dropping an unnumbered manuscript on the floor."
Which implies either a physical manuscript or a .doc attachment (which they explicitly don't want).

But at the same time, it says:

"...please email a query and first chapter to [email protected], and include a short synopsis of the work(s)..."
Which implies cut-and-pasting the first chapter into the body of the email (no page numbers).

I'm confused. Would someone who has submitted to Pippin please tell me how you did it?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
For those who have submitted to this agency, may I ask how you formatted your query? The website says:

Which implies either a physical manuscript or a .doc attachment (which they explicitly don't want).

But at the same time, it says:

Which implies cut-and-pasting the first chapter into the body of the email (no page numbers).

I'm confused. Would someone who has submitted to Pippin please tell me how you did it?

I think the tips in the sidebar are for people who get requests. For the initial query, I'd definitely copy and paste (and I queried Pippin several times back in the day).

Good luck!

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Krista, I will take your advice.

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Sara Crowe yesterday (MG adventure/mystery), and got a full request from her barely 24 hours later. Had to pinch myself. Will check in back here with more info when she gets back to me.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Sara Crowe yesterday (MG adventure/mystery), and got a full request from her barely 24 hours later. Had to pinch myself. Will check in back here with more info when she gets back to me.

Any word yet? I got a full request from Elena Giovinazzo in October (also within a day of querying), but nothing since.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Sara Crowe on 11/7/22 with an MG historical fantasy. I didn't hear back after three weeks, so I put her in the rejection column, since the website mentions something about three weeks being the review period. Then, this morning, she wrote me back, apologizing for the delay and requesting a full.

I'm sure there's a life lesson in here. Something something something patience something.