• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Fiscally-induced block

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
I can only write when I have a steady source of income. It's always been this way.

Right now, I'm between jobs, and it would be the perfect time to bang out the rest of the two manuscripts I'm working on, but it's hard to get the words to come.

Is there some trick to getting my subconscious to stop worrying about where the money is going to come from, if only for a few hours at a time?

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
What do you normally do to relax? When I'm worried about things, I like to go write outside (with my tablet) instead of at my desk. Somehow it makes the stress of the world seem less immediate.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, but I'm the opposite, probably because I make my living as a writer. As Mickey Spillane said, "Nothing cures writer's block like realizing your bank account is getting low."

Even when I first started writing, money was the reason I sat down and wrote my first short story. Maybe if you make yourself believe that writing is a way to make steady money, you can get back at it.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I can only write when I have a steady source of income. It's always been this way.

Right now, I'm between jobs, and it would be the perfect time to bang out the rest of the two manuscripts I'm working on, but it's hard to get the words to come.

Is there some trick to getting my subconscious to stop worrying about where the money is going to come from, if only for a few hours at a time?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

So, basically. Do something different. A writer needs to have goals and aspirations, but sometimes the process of inspiration needs to be freeform and even chaotic.

You're in a moment of your life that's full of freeform and chaos. You need time to find your next job, but you also need time to embrace that chaos, and let the juices flow.

Do you have a journal? Maybe writing about your frustration will get the juices flowing, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.