A Hearty 'Hello!'

Peace Walker

Love, the future is thine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
winterheaven.wordpress.com
Hello all! I've been lurking around these parts on and off for years, so it feels good/weird to finally be participating. This site's awesome; just reading through the forums these past years has helped me immensely in improving my style, enough so that I don't feel like an utter idiot actually de-lurking and dipping my toes in the water. (I'm stupidly shy, so it takes a looong time for me to build my confidence up.) Now that I'm here, though, I can't wait to start participating... it's always great to talk to other writers!

So... about me... (gulp)

I've been writing semi-seriously since high school, but it's only been in the past two years that I've gained enough discipline to finish and edit an entire novel... well, that is, a novel that I actually like and could envision being published. That book's titled Heaven Beside You. It's literary fiction-- genre-wise, it best fits under the umbrella of gothic romance I think, but I'm not sure if that's how I should characterize it once it's ready to be subbed. Still have got a while to make up my mind on that, because it's still going to have to go through at least one more round of revisions before I start seriously thinking about finding an agent. I've been working on it so closely for so long I can't tell anymore what's good from what's crap.

I've decided to take a break on the first manuscript and try something different in the meantime, so I'm currently enjoying the early phases of writing my first draft of The Sixth Station, which is shaping up to be breezy, informal, and conversational in tone-- the complete opposite of Heaven, which is full of Big Themes and Huge Emotions. Let me tell you, that stuff gets pretty darn exhausting after two years. It's a relief to write something where the words can just fly from my fingertips! Plus it's just fun flexing my muscles as a stylist and trying something I haven't done before.

I guess the most interesting thing about the whole venture is discovering more about what makes me me as an author. Like, what the two projects have in common despite bearing very few surface similarities. Quite a lot, as it turns out! So, yeah, it's been kind of exciting to learn that about myself...

Meh, anyway, that's enough about me.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all around the boards! Cheers~

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Hello and :welcome:

Congrats on finishing your novel! And good luck finding an agent. You should get a start on that by joining us in Query Letter Hell and critiquing other people's query letters. It's a great way to learn, and to get to know the usual suspects over there. We're a friendly bunch, if a bit bloodthirsty at times. :D

I'm a sucker for Gothic romance myself, although I don't read much published after the early 20th Century. I could do without all the fainting, but I love the breathtaking draaaaaama. *swoon*

krypticjotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
krypticjotter.net
:hi:

Great on finishing your novel and I think it's smart to step back from it for a bit. If you do happen to publish I would be interested in reading it.

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! That was some intro post! Would love to get a look at the novel, let us know when you submit!

Peace Walker

Love, the future is thine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
winterheaven.wordpress.com
Thanks for the kind words of welcome everyone! :e2grouphu

Atalanta, surprisingly enough, there's no fainting--there's this one character who loses consciousness and experiences minor memory loss after a battle, but that's due to blood loss and head trauma :evil ...probably doesn't count. On the other hand the MC experiences vivid fever dreams, True Love[SUP]TM[/SUP], and being kinda/sorta buried alive... so, yay!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome: