• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kathryn Green Literary Agency

Lannie

Banned
Reaction score
Well, whattya know? Ms. Green has asked for a 3-chapter partial, despite my manuscript's bloated outsized brobdignagian unpublishable 151K length.

The lady evidently has cojones. How cool is that! ;)

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Question...maybe someone can help?

Ms. Green asked for a portion of my manuscript (I feel like throwing a party! :)) but I'm not exactly sure how much to send. 3 chapters? 30 pages? Lannie said that she was asked for a 3-chapter partial, so should I just go with that? What's everyone else's experience with this?

And this partial request from Ms. Green has seriously made my month. She's one of my top 3 "dream agents", pretty much...

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Mark, I think you should email her back, while it's fresh and still on her mind, and ask her if she'll have another look if you make the changes. I asked Lucy Childs if she would do that and she did. Ultimately she turned it down, but those were high-flying times for a few months.

MKL1025

Registered
Reaction score
Another story about her--I equeried her about a month ago and received an immediate request for a partial. She ultimately rejected it but got back to me within a week's time and provided some valuable feedback about my story that, in my opinion, helped me land my agent.

She was very professional, prompt and engaging during my contact with her.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Green rejected my partial, but her letter was personal and really nice, basically. She'd definitely be an amazing agent to have.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, you rotten bunch. I just saw that she doesn't represent fantasy...woe is me.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, you rotten bunch. I just saw that she doesn't represent fantasy...woe is me.

What's funny about this is that Ms. Green represents one of my favorite authors, Laurie Faria Stolarz, whose first four books would most likely be considered fantasy...though maybe not...(they're slightly religious, but exaggerated, so maybe that's the seperation?). But I'm not completely sure if Ms. Green repped her when she had those books published because Ms. Faria doesn't thank her in acknowledgements until the latest (which is YA coming of age) but agentquery lists her as having repped them.

I don't know if that paragraph makes any sense at all, but what I'm attempting to say is that maybe she won't initially look at fantasy, but if she decides to work with you on another manuscript, she might continue with fantasy, too. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
WordGypsy said:
The partial turned into a full in less than a week! She has really fast response times! I'll let you know how it goes!

Congrats on the request for a full! :hooray:Please, do keep us posted.

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
Hello! I'm a new poster (but I've been lurking for a while). And I just wanted to thank you all, because I queried Kathryn Green after finding this thread with the big thumbs up. :)

I queried her before I went to bed and had a request for a partial when I woke up! That was Monday - but I'm hoping it turns into a good thing! At any rate, it's really encouraging to have another request, especially from someone who seems to be so well liked.

So thank you for the thread!

Robin

chill200

Hello all,
I'm a new member, and I'm glad I found this site. I recently sent a Book Proposal to Kathy Green, and she responded immediately and conducted a phone interview with me. After an hour conversation, she offered me a contract for representatioon! I was so happy and shocked. I'm a first time writer (non-fiction), and she was so impressed by my proposal that she offered representation right off the bat.

I'm happy to read all these wonderful comments about her, because believe it or not, I got TWO offers at once. So now I need to decide who to go with, and from the sounds of these comments, Kathy is it!!!!

If there's anything further anyone can add, please do!

thanks all!
Cathy

chill200

Hello again,
I'm back to say I'm so glad to have found this forum. I was recently offered representation by Ms. Green, and I'm thrilled. Is there anyone else here that is a client of hers? If so, let me know how it is to work with her. I currently have TWO offers of representation, but I'm leaning toward signing with Ms. Green.

I'm a first time non-fiction writer. Please take a peek at my website if you'd like to see an excerpt of my upcoming book:

www.chollowayhill.com

GOOD LUCK to everyone!

chill200

I've read all the threads and I'm seeing that everyone is sending query requests, but I'm not sure what the actual process is. I always thought that a "book proposal" was what most agents wanted before considering whether or not to offer representation. Everytime I've sent queries, I've been turned down. But when I took the time to create a full blown book proposal, I sent out 10 proposals to 10 different agents, and I received two offers and two maybes. Four out of 10 is pretty good odds. It wasn't that difficult to create the book proposal, so just my suggestion that maybe you guys may get better results with a proposal....just my two cents worth.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Polite rejection

Class act in my opinion. Very polite and quick e-mail rejection...

chill200

Thanks Rebobinar! I wasn't sure the process. At some point, I do want to write a fiction book, so I guess I'd better study up on what the process is. Good luck to you!

curiousjorge

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on Kathy Green and her agency. While she ultimately rejected my manuscript, her feedback and the experience over all was very positive.

I submitted an e-query 3/27/08 and she replied with a request for a partial (first 50 pages) on 3/31/08. She was enthusiastic about my partial and asked for the full manuscript on 4/15/08. On 4/21/08 I got the rejection but it was clear she read at least the majority of the full manuscript and offered some encouragement.

For anyone wondering if she's legit, I'd say, yes, she appears to really delve into the manuscripts and pick what she thinks will work.

curiousjorge

Registered
Reaction score
More positive follow up on Kathy Green

Just a final addendum to my positive experience with Kathy Green. She did reject my full manuscript because of disturbing elements that she didn't feel comfortable representing. In all fairness to her, my manuscript does deal with very disturbing elements taken from real life crimes. After the rejection, I asked her if she thought, based on what she'd read, if I'd mischaracterized the genre of my novel. I didn't really expect a response since I figured she was on to the next batch of potential manuscripts she needed to consider. Imagine my surprise when a few days later she replied to my question with some helpful observations about where my manuscript fit in the genre classification.

So I'm giving her a big thumbs up. She strikes me as a very thoughtful, considerate reader and one of the good guys in the shark tank.

JFK

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-query, heard back after 6 days with a one line response that my project was not right for this agency, even in a genre they represent. No helpful advice given so interesting to read previous posts.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Wow! I've never seen an agent praised like this before. She sounds terrific.

My query is on its way to her. Fingers and toes crossed.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Mark -- Don't hang around, do those edits and ask if she'll accept a resubmit.

An agent asked me to make some changes and she'd look at my work again. In the meantime, I had an accident and couldn't sit at the computer for close to eight weeks. By the time I got back to her with the edited version, she had changed the genres she was willing to represent and I lost out.

Learn from my unfortunate delay.