The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Again, awesome Alex. I'm going to try out, but my funny skills are rusty.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with Analog? It's like they took a hiatus on the 15th of May, with no new responses until today.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone I know just got a 30+ day form R from Analog today, so they're alive and kicking.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like they fixed their rejection conveyor belt and it's back to churning R's. I got my 30 day today too.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Alex, just double checking (and posting here in case others had the same question), is it OK to send something else for the anthology if you've already been rejected? That doesn't count as a multiple submission?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, just double checking (and posting here in case others had the same question), is it OK to send something else for the anthology if you've already been rejected? That doesn't count as a multiple submission?

Taylor,

It's perfectly OK. Multiple submissions means sending more than one story at the same time. As long as you don't have anything currently on submission with me, you are welcome to send another piece, and there's no limit on how many you may submit total.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
And as a FYI to anyone else like me that didn't notice, Redstone is open again for subs. On a side note, I noticed they had a 200+ day acceptance there. Ouch on that wait. I subbed anyway.

And when they close again, it'll be time for their next contest. The essay for what they want this time is here:

http://redstonesciencefiction.com/2012/06/a-better-way-seinstein/

It's a broader theme than last time - optimistic futures. Unfortunately, I don't think they posted the judge's thoughts on the last contest as it's still forthcoming a year later. But the one before that, her thoughts are here: http://redstonesciencefiction.com/2010/09/possible-future/

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
aargh!! - I just posted in another thread (Rejectomancy) asking if anyone knew of good markets for a humorous 1100-word spec fic story. It was short-listed at ASIM for 3 months, but they passed as did DSF. I just sent it out last night to Ideomancer, but I would way rather have sent it to your anthology, Alex. And neither of you accept sim. subs. Did I say arrgh!!?

Oh well, at least Ideomancer has a fairly quick turn-around. If they don't take it (and per Duotrope my odds are 97.97% they won't) at least I should be able to get it in to you during the regular sub period even if I miss the AW special.

Best of luck with your project!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eliza! I wish you luck and hope they take it, but if they don't send it my way.

I've been able to answer all submissions within 24 hours so far. I don't know what will happen after July 1 and whether the volume will spike, but if you're a W1S1'er and are able to submit early, you should take advantage of the quick turnaround while I can offer it.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alex - if Ideomancer doesn't bite you'll definitely be hearing from me. Thought about sending one other story I have ready, but don't want to risk the multiple subs to you, so guess I'll wait to hear from Ideomancer. Best of luck with your project!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alex, I saw UFO listed on Duotrope this morning! I'll bet you start getting oodles of subs once you officially open.:)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alex, I saw UFO listed on Duotrope this morning! I'll bet you start getting oodles of subs once you officially open.:)

I hope so!

They've been trickling in slowly so far. Not too few -- but enough where I've stayed current and can handle more.

So what I'm saying is, send me stuff people. Don't wait until the July 1 slushalanche hits.

:)

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
You're on duotrope now? That's so cool! It's all official and everything. :D I'll bet you get a ton of subs come July 1. Wish I had something to submit--I think it is so neat that you're doing this.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just checked Weird Tales Facebook page for an update, since I subbed a story there in their brief window in early June (they must have been open only a week or a little longer). Looks like they got more than two thousand fiction submissions in that time! Not surprising they closed so fast. For a moment I wondered, should I just withdraw my sub now? But no, I'll let them be the ones to reject it. Maybe that sounds pessimistic, but not really - it's just that out of two thousand stories, I think my chances must be microscopic. But in a way, I might treasure a Weird Tales rejection. And I've really enjoyed all the stories and interviews on their website.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just checked Weird Tales Facebook page for an update, since I subbed a story there in their brief window in early June (they must have been open only a week or a little longer). Looks like they got more than two thousand fiction submissions in that time! Not surprising they closed so fast. For a moment I wondered, should I just withdraw my sub now? But no, I'll let them be the ones to reject it. Maybe that sounds pessimistic, but not really - it's just that out of two thousand stories, I think my chances must be microscopic. But in a way, I might treasure a Weird Tales rejection. And I've really enjoyed all the stories and interviews on their website.

I'm not really bothered by the number of submissions, but by the lack of activity on Duotrope. Are they reading/rejecting anything yet? That many stories will take a while to get through.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
The lack of activity on Duotrope is why I check their Facebook page sometimes. I haven't received an acknowledgement that they received my story, but I'm assuming that's due to the deluge they experienced. They say on their website that they will respond to all submissions by June 20. I assume that's to acknowledge receipt, unless they've got a slush reader army out there.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
The lack of activity on Duotrope is why I check their Facebook page sometimes. I haven't received an acknowledgement that they received my story, but I'm assuming that's due to the deluge they experienced. They say on their website that they will respond to all submissions by June 20. I assume that's to acknowledge receipt, unless they've got a slush reader army out there.
They didn't send out acknowledgements during their last submission window. However, they were quick to respond.

2,000 submissions but only 97 reported on duotrope are pending... There's a likely chance that they are responding, but haven't touched those who use duo yet. Or, they lumped *all* submissions, art, nonfiction, and fiction into that 2,000.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
They didn't send out acknowledgements during their last submission window. However, they were quick to respond.

2,000 submissions but only 97 reported on duotrope are pending... There's a likely chance that they are responding, but haven't touched those who use duo yet. Or, they lumped *all* submissions, art, nonfiction, and fiction into that 2,000.

Thanks, its good to know that they don't necessarily acknowledge receipt. I won't assume my story has flown into the ether. They did specifically say 2000 fiction submissions. I think they are still accepting non-fiction and art.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Redstone has closed to submissions. In the two week window they received 204 submissions (56 of whom are on duotrope). I submitted something to them right on June 1st, so I figure I'll be hearing from them soon...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Redstone has closed to submissions. In the two week window they received 204 submissions (56 of whom are on duotrope). I submitted something to them right on June 1st, so I figure I'll be hearing from them soon...

I'm one of the 56. Though I only submitted 5 days ago, so it'll probably be a bit of a wait.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
As of the wee hours of this morning (PST), Nightmare Magazine is open for subs. Pro rates, 1500-7500 words (under 5k preferred), guidelines and submission form here. It's edited by the unparalleled John Joseph Adams, and promises to be quite awesome indeed.

If you write dark fantasy or horror, be sure to check it out.

(P.S. I'm a Nightmare slush reader, not a groupie. Both occupations exhibit characteristic enthusiasm, but the work is very, very different.)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
As of the wee hours of this morning (PST), Nightmare Magazine is open for subs. Pro rates, 1500-7500 words (under 5k preferred), guidelines and submission form here. It's edited by the unparalleled John Joseph Adams, and promises to be quite awesome indeed.

(P.S. I'm a Nightmare slush reader, not a groupie. Both occupations exhibit characteristic enthusiasm, but the work is very, very different.)
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, it's good to see another horror market. Quick question: Are you guys interested in humorous horror stories at all?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score

Very excited about this. Not just another horror market, but one that could do a lot of good for the genre. I'll be submitting my story I've saved for Nightmare later today.

Good luck with slushing for them. Should be an invaluable experience.