• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pippin Properties Inc.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I received a pleasant request for the first three chapters of our latest YA novel -- and a request that the ms. be exclusive to Pippin for one month. With the manuscript already out to other agents, we couldn't grant the exclusive. I assume this was a deal-killer since we haven't heard from the agent since we shared that info.

I would try and double-check before declaring it a deal-killer. Not being able to grant an exclusive isn't an automatic not interested with agents - it differs from one agent to the next. Some will still consider it, some won't. But I'd be sure first.

lavander

Registered
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE,

I'm considering sending a picture book manuscript to Pippin Properties. Given it's a picture book and not a novel, does anyone know if it's ok when submitting to Pippins to include the whole ms along with the query? This point never seems to be clear when doing my research.

Also, seeing as they are such a small group - send to the agency or to a specific agent?

It seems you all write novels - I'm feeling rather lonely!! But if anyone out there has experience with picture books, here I am.

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Emily van Beek on April 25th (a Saturday) and received a request on Monday the 27th for the first three chapters. I received a polite and kind rejection today. Even though I am disappointed that she didn't request a full, I am thankful for her quick turnaround, since I had agreed to grant an exclusive review.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your full ms vs. query, lavander, but I wouldn't feel bad about being a pb writer vs. novelist. My impression of their web site was that while they did have a lot of MG novels, they were also pretty strong in pbs. So carry on!

JoannaCastro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I queried Emily van Beek on the May 20 and got a request for a full the next day. I sent my manuscript to her on the 23rd and haven't heard back yet. I know it really hasn't been that long in the scheme of things but I'm nervous because she responded so quickly before and it seems like others here have gotten pretty fast responses. I figure as long as she hasn't rejected me yet that's a good sign. But what do you think? Is it a good sign that I haven't received a response yet? How long has it taken for others to hear back? Thanks!

redsoxfan83

friday night lights fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
babyiwasborntoread.blogspot.com
Joanna - I'm no expert, being an unagented writer at this point, but I don't think a month or so wait is that long of a time, particularly in this case, since Book Expo America, took place in the time you're describing. Something like that would back them up for at least a week, and we have to remember, as much as we don't see it this way, that reading full requests are not their highest priority - that's their current clients.

I queried Emily van Beek on 7/2 and heard back the same day with a request for a partial (3 chapters). I was unable to honor their request for the exclusive, but that didn't seem to be a problem; she quickly wrote back to send it anyway and just keep them abreast of offers in the meantime. Generally, I think you've got to do what's in your best interest (which is to avoid exclusives like the plague). They seem like an amazing agency with quite the client roster and I'm anxious to hear back either way.

Nickles

Working the fingers
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I queried Emily on 9/14 and got a request for a partial the next day. I haven't heard back from her yet so I'm keeping my hopes up even though I know it hasn't been that long. Just wondering if anyone had any recent partials with her and how long it took for a response.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query last week. Anyone else waiting or have response times?

rathhaven

Registered
Reaction score
E-queried YA urban fantasy/romance Holly McGhee 2/18, got a request the same day for 3 chapters from Elena Mechlin. Sent on 2/20. Couldn't accommodate the exclusive, it wasn't a deal breaker. Very nice.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
E-queried Samantha Cosentino and about a week later got a request for the first three chapter from Elena Mechlin :)

rathhaven

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a positive response from a partial? I was just wondering what kind of time frame they have. QT only has 2 negative response times.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a positive response from a partial? I was just wondering what kind of time frame they have. QT only has 2 negative response times.

I'de like to know this too. :) Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Got a full manuscript request from a Ms. Mechlin a little while back. Didn't send it yet because another agent has an exclusive. Pippin asks for a month of exclusivity on their website, iirc, so that's probably around their expected response time.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Full requested

I sent a query today to Holly McGhee knowing, from reading this thread, that if anyone got back to me it would probably be Elena Mechlin. A half-hour or so after sending my query, Elena responded that she'd like to see the full.

In regards to her request for an exclusive, I told her that I'd already sent the manuscript out to other agents, but that I'd stop sending out queries for the month and let her know if any of the agents I'd already sent to made offers.

She was fine with that, and we're off!

By the way, this is a 90K word YA contemporary fantasy.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Thedrellum! Let us know how it goes :).

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
How it goes

is that it went.

After two weeks, I received a rejection from Elena Mechlin saying that the premise is very unique and the book has the potential to be a great success, it's not right for them at this time.

Based on comments from my novel-writing group, I started serious revisions almost immediately after sending off the manuscript to Pippin, so the rejection doesn't hit as quite as hard as it could/would normally.

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Emily van Beek at Pippin, found out she had moved shortly after and queried her at her new agency (she rejected me there, but that's not my point.) Is it acceptable to query another agent at the agency?

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean Folio, or Pippin?

If you mean Folio, then yes.

If you mean Pippin, I'm not sure. How did they respond? Did they simply say, Mrs. Van Beek has switched agencies?

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get a reply from the Pippin query. I found out she had switched agencies only minutes after querying her at Pippin.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Then I don't think it would hurt to send a query to Pippin, addressed to Elena and Holly. The worst thing that can happen is they don't respond and/or reject.