• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pippin Properties Inc.

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had a partial out to Pippin lately? I q'd Elena Mechlin and got a request for a partial almost a month ago. I'm just wondering how long they're running on these (there isn't enough info on QT to tell).

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I see that former editor Joan Slattery is now an agent with Pippin. Anyone know anything about her? I see her as the acquiring editor on a couple books on PM, but they're fairly recent, so I can't go read the books to see what they're like. She just started agenting in November, so she's not going to have any sales yet, but does anyone know what she's worked on editorially? Just looking for an idea of what appeals to her.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
I see that former editor Joan Slattery is now an agent with Pippin. Anyone know anything about her? I see her as the acquiring editor on a couple books on PM, but they're fairly recent, so I can't go read the books to see what they're like. She just started agenting in November, so she's not going to have any sales yet, but does anyone know what she's worked on editorially? Just looking for an idea of what appeals to her.

I got a full request from Joan this morning less than 24 hours after sending my query. Mine is a MG Mystery. Her bio on Pippin says:

"She's particularly interested in middle grade and young adult fiction, which harkens back to one of her most voracious and memorable years of reading: sixth grade."

She asked for an exclusive but said she understood if I couldn't give one if it was out with other agents (it is). I'll update when I know more about submission response time. She implied it would be about 2 weeks. I don't think Pippin as a whole request much if they can give a 2-4 week turn around time on material.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, KeatsLove--and good luck!

Thanks! I think response time will more likely be a month. I'm at almost 3 weeks and nothing yet. Judging by stats on Querytracker.net, no one has gotten a response (good or bad) yet.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Pippin is on top of my query list for a picture book. Problem: Having a hard time with finding the best agent to sub to. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Their submission e-mail address is a general one -- they all read it. Even if you address it to a specific agent, a different one may reply asking for the manuscript. That happened to me -- I queried Elena Mechlin but got a full request from Joan Slattery. Since Joan has been there the least amount of time, she's probably the one most actively building her list. I'd query her.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
An Update -

Roughly 5 weeks from full request to helpful R from Joan. She said my premise is "such an appealing and commercial one" and after the standard "didn't fall in love like I needed to", softened the blow by saying "you're clearly so talented. I hope you've had lots of interest."

Good luck to all with material still out!

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's too bad, KeatsLove. Hope you find your agent soon.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's too bad, KeatsLove. Hope you find your agent soon.

Thanks, litgirl. I had an agent but terminated my contract a couple months ago after a year and a half together for various reasons. I was scared to do it for awhile because I didn't want to go through the query process again, but am glad I did. I still have 9 submissions out so am not too worried.

Good luck to you too!

CherylAngst

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cherylangst.wordpress.com
I queried Holly in September and never heard back.

I forgot to note they're a no response means no agency in my spreadsheet. I received an offer of representation and decided to not only tell the agents with partials and fulls, but to also send a quick note to ones with outstanding queries (as some agents have tweeted/blogged that they'd like to be informed too). I pasted my original query at the bottom, on the off chance they hadn't got to it (rather than ignoring it), and fired it off.

I got an email from Elena a couple of days later asking for the partial - even though she knew about the offer. Two days after that she asked for the full. I expect to hear back from her shortly as I owe the offering agent a reply by the 17th.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
I queried Holly in September and never heard back.

I forgot to note they're a no response means no agency in my spreadsheet. I received an offer of representation and decided to not only tell the agents with partials and fulls, but to also send a quick note to ones with outstanding queries. I expect to hear back from her shortly as I owe the offering agent a reply by the 17th.

Congratulations on getting an offer!!!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I posted an interview with Ms. Slattery on my blog this morning:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2011/01/interview-with-agent-joan-slattery.html

I must say, I was especially impressed with the twenty years she spent as an editor at Knopf Books for Young Readers (a division of Random House). She worked with Jerry Spinelli and Philip Pullman, among others. There's a lot to recommend her as an agent.

Marquita Hockaday

Waiting for what's next...
Registered
Reaction score
I have had a full out with Joan Slattery of Pippin since January 13th, 2011. She wanted an exclusive, but at the time another agent had my full. I wish I would have granted her the full because I REALLY want to work with her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is strongly consider my MS--or at least she would be interested in a revise/resubmit. I'm HOPING so....

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Got a partial request from Elena this morning!

She asked for a one-month exclusive with the material, but since I have query letters galore out right now, that's not really an option. :( I hope that doesn't hurt my chances of her asking for more.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
woo-hoo! congratulations! it sounds like they almost always ask for an exclusive, but are very understanding when it's not possible.

i sent my query off to them a couple weeks ago ... fingers crossed!

UntouchableGreen

Registered
Reaction score
Have a full out with Elana right now. I'm really excited about her and her agency, so I hope it's a yes. Here are the sats:
8/1 - Query
8/3 - Partial
8/8 - Full
Haven't heard back yet on my YA steampunk.

Last edited:

Nandini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nandinibajpai.blogspot.com
Finally heard back from Elena and she asked for the full.

EQ 10/11
Partial request 10/11
Full request 11/16

Good thing the nano ms is keeping me busy, because my nerves are shot.

UPDATE: Pulled my full for a revision in November. Just sent it back on 2/12. Nice note saying she got it. Hope she likes it!

Last edited:

thundergirl

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Pippin lately?
Does anyone know if they still do the you're-represented-by-the-whole-agency thing, or if they are taking their own clients now? It seems like Elena Mechlin's been the one to get back to people...

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Elena Mechlin on 8/9, and am still waiting to hear back. Hoping that I get a request within the three week deadline.