• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Promotion] Amazon White Glove Program

HJW

Registered
Reaction score

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Anyone out there have any experience of this that they're willing to share?

SimoneWeill

Registered
Reaction score
I don't but an agent has approached me and my coauthor to do this program, so I'm looking for info too. Our proposal was rejected by a number of houses, and he presents the white glove program as an end run around trad publishing editors afraid to take risks, but as far as I can see he's taking no risk at all himself. He doesn't even have to work to sell the book.

Here is an account by another author who did it:
https://eviegaughan.wordpress.com/tag/amazon-white-glove/

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This might be incorrect, but I'd be alarmed to be approached by an agent about a manuscript that he wants to sell to a self-publishing service. My first thought is to wonder if he is getting paid by Amazon to recruit authors.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I don't but an agent has approached me and my coauthor to do this program, so I'm looking for info too. Our proposal was rejected by a number of houses, and he presents the white glove program as an end run around trad publishing editors afraid to take risks, but as far as I can see he's taking no risk at all himself. He doesn't even have to work to sell the book.

Here is an account by another author who did it:
https://eviegaughan.wordpress.com/tag/amazon-white-glove/

So...after Amazon takes 30% the author splits the rest with her agent. That being the same agent that told her (, along with the usual "others"):

"My agent, having just returned from the London Book Fair, had observed that the industry was in grim shape. More than any other year, she said, the publishing industry was on its knees. Traditional publishing routes were growing narrower and more problematic. We both knew apparently successful writers now extremely disillusioned–even ones on the fourth book of a five book series–who despite being published by the big houses, suffered nothing but anxiety at the unanswered calls or emails, demand for gratuitous sex and violence to be added to their completed manuscripts, sales of translation rights never materializing, and the ever-hovering threat that they would be dropped. The grass isn’t so green on that side of the fence anymore yet most of us hopeful first-timers still carry the torch that areal publisher will sign us and legitimize our dreams of a writing life."

I also couldn't help noticing:

"After months of trying to get a traditional publisher to consider my debut novel, Silk for the Feed Dogs, and many lovely rejection notes expressing their fear at taking a chance on an unknown writer, my agent was approached by Amazon. They had just launched a new publishing venture, Amazon White Glove Programme. Its aim, my agent explained, was to raise the level of self-published material out there by focusing only on writers who had already won over an agent with their work."

To me this is just a bunch of red flags. I do not see anything here that should require an agent. And I don't see anything the agent has done that justifies taking 50%.
If I look purely at what is happening here, it looks like a joint scam between a bookstore and an agent to get money out of writers. (Unless the agent in the blogpost is lying and is scamming the author all on their own.) I see absolutely no benefits for a writer in this compared to getting a publishing deal. I do see huge benefits to the agent though. (50% instead 15% of the author's income.) And if this becomes a quality "gatekeeper" I could see benefits for Amazon.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I can see this as a viable option if you have an agent (as I do) who hasn't managed (yet) to sell novels to the majors. Maybe a better option than going with smaller presses - debate?

Last edited:

SimoneWeill

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to self-publish, why do you need an agent? What value does s/he bring for the 15%? The question is whether the month of promotion Amazon offers in this program is worth paying the agent's commission. Is the agent going to help you get additional promotion? These are some of the questions raised in the post on Jane Friedman's blog which CaoPaux links to above.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I need an agent for the other books that I have written/am writing, plus he is a very strong editor and that is of great value to me.
It is a valid question to ask whether the month's promotion from Amazon is worth 15% to the agent. My gut feeling is that it is; I will sell more copies more than I would have done if I had handled it myself, but I'm open to other views.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I also couldn't help noticing:

"After months of trying to get a traditional publisher to consider my debut novel, Silk for the Feed Dogs, and many lovely rejection notes expressing their fear at taking a chance on an unknown writer, my agent was approached by Amazon. They had just launched a new publishing venture, Amazon White Glove Programme. Its aim, my agent explained, was to raise the level of self-published material out there by focusing only on writers who had already won over an agent with their work."

The author of Silk for the Feed Dogs is Jackie Mallon, represented by Author Rights Agency (who have their own thread here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240445)

I'm puzzled by this comment on Ms Mallon's blog:

I’ve decided to give my novel a makeover for the new season. My agent had been asking for a while for new artwork for the cover but I have been holding onto the fuschia–such an uncommon color in today’s world, unique even, deserving of more prominence.
http://jackiemallon.com/2014/03/19/help-me-choose-a-new-spring-jacket/

Silk for the Feed Dogs is published by Betimes Books. Isn't the choice of a new cover a matter for the publisher, hopefully with some input from the author, rather than the agent?

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Betimes Books seems to use the same format for all covers - http://www.betimesbooks.com - nothing that's heavily designed, possibly using author-supplied art. Perhaps the agent is just the intermediary asking for the art on behalf of the publisher.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The program seems still exclusive to Amazon KDP for one year. Like many review sites it appears to base strength of promotional efforts on the number of already garnered reviews.

I probably qualify. But my agent already gets a 15% commission, which I'm happy to pay because she earns it. Would she get more, with this program? I'm still not certain a White Glove promo would help my proposed self-pub work. Not at the expense of shutting out other markets for that long, for the nebulous benefit of a promotion lasting 30 days.

Last edited: