• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Destiny Image Publishers

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
They only charge a $25 unsolicited ms viewing fee, if the ms is sent snail mail.
What the difference is, I don't know. Do you?

The difference is, you shouldn't have to pay anything to have an agent or publisher look at your hard work. If a company is legitimate, they won't charge you to read your work.

Also, a questionnaire sounds to me very much like something PublishAmerica or another vanity house would do. I'd steer clear of a company that charges you for your hard work or asks you if your work is original.

Like Uncle Jim says, "Money flows toward the writer".

I wish you the best with your piece, and think of it this way: aim high with your submissions. You'll never know if your work is bestseller material if you start at the bottom. Start at the top, and you might be surprised by what you get.

Good luck to you.

:)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I am filling out a manuscript submission questionaire. I am having difficulty with a question about my manuscripts originality. How do I find out if there are other books like mine? Please help!
How did they word it? Usually, when questionaires ask you to verify that the manuscript is original, what they mean is that they are asking you to confirm that you wrote it. It's a way for them to confirm that the manuscript was not plagiarized. (I'm not sure if it really does cover them legally.)

Anyway, as they are asking for a fee, don't send it to them. Avoid them at all costs.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Heed the warnings given above. Don't deal with any agent/pub who asks for money up front. Ever.

Publishers aren't very interested in truly original concepts. They're leery of them because there's no established track record of success. They want books that can be described as "similar to _____ and ____ " (fairly well regarded books) "but different in that ______." They're looking for fresh slants that will appeal to existing, identifiable readerships.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put the MS down and back away slowly. Tempting as it is, don't pay anyone a dime to read your manuscript, solicited or un.

bikerchick

It's just a brain storm
Registered
Reaction score
Ok folks, here is the scoop. The publishing company is called Destiny Image, Inc. I called them today with some questions, only to find out they are a vanity press. So, fiddle sticks (which means :rant:).
However, if I was looking for a vanity press, Destiny Image would impress me. Look at this site, they accually have books for sale that are in stock.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...vent=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=15&Go.y=11

Nifty isn't it?
Thanks everyone for your much needed feedback. I really apprieciate your insight.:LilLove:

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Ok folks, here is the scoop. The publishing company is called Destiny Image, Inc. I called them today with some questions, only to find out they are a vanity press. So, fiddle sticks (which means :rant:).
However, if I was desperate enough to go to a vanity press, Destiny Image would impress me. Look at this site, they accually have books for sale that are in stock.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...vent=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=15&Go.y=11

Nifty isn't it?
Thanks everyone for your much needed feedback. I really apprieciate your insight.:LilLove:

You're very welcome, Bikerchick. Just remember if your writing is good, you can do so much better than a vanity house. It will take longer to get your work out to the reading public, yes, but the advance you receive and the book distribution will be so much better than a vanity house could offer.

I'm glad you found out the nature of the house, although I am sorry you were hurt by what you found. I wish you the very best with your writing, and never give up.

:Hug2:

cynfulxx

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I'm hearing alarms going off here, bikerchick. A questionnaire is unusual in and of itself . . .

Actually, it isn't. Many indy publishers use questionnaires for new authors for a couple of reasons, first to gather accurate information to submit the distributor, second, as a streamlined way to gather information about the author -- we don't have all the resources available to big publishers and the details gathered on a questionnaire are invaluable.

I do the same for new authors/ new books.

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
However, if I was looking for a vanity press, Destiny Image would impress me. Look at this site, they accually have books for sale that are in stock.

Nifty isn't it?

Huh. I guess they are pretty good for a vanity press. I've seen a couple of their books while browsing at Barnes and Nobel...

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at various Christian publishers and came across this one today.

I no longer see a $25 submission fee as listed above (and I know this is resurrecting an old thread). But, I also don't see this group on P & E.

So I thought I would save someone both money and time. It appears to be even WORSE now.

The "cost" of publishing with them, if accepted? A "pre-purchase" of typically 1,000-3,000 copies of your book (at a "discount" of course), to show you are dedicated, or some such equivalent term.

I am sure if you submit, you will be told yours is so special it merits a pre-purchase of the higher end of that range. Ug..

Yes, back away from your keyboard and walk as far away from them as you can. Hurry!

ETA: I am not saying that someone cannot decide to go with a place like this, but I just think it is slimy when they act like you should hope they "accept" you, and then demand you purchase copies if accepted, perhaps not realizing this is not how most publishers operate.

Last edited: