Where do I put Flash Memoir

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
I am trying my hand at flash memoir. Flash is a new form for me and I'm writing the memoir like fiction. When I post for advice and critiques... which forum should it go in? Flash Fiction or Memoir?

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say you're writing the memoir pieces "like they're fiction" do you just mean you're disguising the identifying information, or do you mean you're putting them into a more traditional story-like form (some kind of plot and a beginning, middle and end)?

If it's the first one, I'd try the memoir SYW first. If it's the second one, I'd try the fiction SYW first. Of course there's plenty of overlap there but it probably still makes a difference in the critters' expectations and what they'll critique.

Or just say "heck with it" and switch back and forth between the two until you see what fits better.

Ooh, also, if you're looking for help with it, I recommend The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction.

Last edited:

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
When you say you're writing the memoir pieces "like they're fiction" do you just mean you're disguising the identifying information, or do you mean you're putting them into a more traditional story-like form (some kind of plot and a beginning, middle and end)?

If it's the first one, I'd try the memoir SYW first. If it's the second one, I'd try the fiction SYW first. Of course there's plenty of overlap there but it probably still makes a difference in the critters' expectations and what they'll critique.

Or just say "heck with it" and switch back and forth between the two until you see what fits better.

Ooh, also, if you're looking for help with it, I recommend The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction.

I am writing the stories using traditional story form and under 1k words. If I didn't tell you they were memoir, you would assume they were 1st person flash fiction. Posting it in memoir or regular fiction felt funny right since they are so short, but I wasn't sure if I could post here in the Polished and Ready.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I don't see why it would matter if it's real or made up. Since it's traditional story form, I think posting in Polished and Ready sounds just right. But then I'm sure you could just as well try it in either of the other two sections if you wanted to. I find what counts is just finding which section the critters you get the best help from hang out. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
Sure, I don't see why it would matter if it's real or made up. Since it's traditional story form, I think posting in Polished and Ready sounds just right. But then I'm sure you could just as well try it in either of the other two sections if you wanted to. I find what counts is just finding which section the critters you get the best help from hang out. Good luck. :)

Thanks, that helps.