_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
OVER, over? Or just over for now?

:)

Graded assesment will be over over. I have one more hurdle that I have to pass tomorrow, the OSCE (Observed Structured Clinical Examination), but that's a pass fail thing. Difficult to pass cause there's 10 automatic fail points, but as long as I remember them all, I should be fine. Plus theres two chances. I'd rather get it on the first one though.

On the other hand, a brief history lesson: in the 1860's, the American Presbyterian church split into two congregations over the question of slavery and the Civil War. They stayed separate until the early 1980's, when they finally decided to reunite into one group.

And, as of 2012, they're splitting again over the question of homosexuality and what should be the church's official position regarding same.

It breaks my heart. It really does.

But -- and I'm not preaching, I really am not -- when I meet people who say they hate religion or churches, I have a standard answer: churches are filled with people. People who have flaws, and can be stupid and pigheaded and WRONG about a thousand things. As the above example illustrates oh too well.

Church =/= faith. Faith is a different animal altogether.

Church can definietly influence a person's faith though. I would have considered myself religious when I was in my teens. My parents were at best agnostic, but I found a lot of comfort in believing in a god that loved everyone. I went to church, found it benefited me

Then I moved to a much more conservative place and discovered that a lot of people believe that that same god is going to condem two thirds of the worlds population to hell fire for eternity. That put my right off. So far off in fact that I would probably say I lean more towards the belief that the is a god, but hopefully not a revealed one (revealed through religion) Because if there is a revealed one, then logic says one of the revelations is right and the rest wrong and so many of those revelations entail punishment for those wrong that I really hope they're all wrong, on the details at least.

So I don't go to church unless I know the preacher these days. Talk of punishment and of others actions that are classified as sins that I can't see as logical sins make the faith I have left a lot more fearful and weaker.

/random personal exposition

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have quite the reason your daughter does for not believing in God. Although if he is real I have a bone to pick with him about a certain passage of Leviticus. The reason I can't believe in his existence is just... I can't. I've tried at some of my lower moments but the entire premise of it seems too weird and implausible to my mind. Not to disparage those amongst the Cantina who have faith, but I just find it logically impossible to believe.

And in regards to the PM you sent me, since I'm replying to you here anyway: You didn't go too far. If you'd started preaching Hell, fire and brimstone at my sinful ways, then you'd have gone too far. :D

You don't need a reason to not believe, any more than I need a reason TO believe. You just do. Or don't.

I ain't much of a preacher. Though I might just sing in your general direction.

Run. Save yourself now.

:D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so...

Who wants to give out some grades? You don't have to actually look at things, just shout out some random grades and I'll put those on my students' papers.

'Cause I am so not in the mood to do anything else with them, yet I must.

:Lecture:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Cold or not, I'm jealous.

*Piles on the jealous*

The building I am referring to is the one Henry, Earl of Richmond is said to have prayed in the day before the Battle of Bosworth Field and gained a promotion. He is supposed to have stayed at the manor house across the road and ridden out from there. I reckon it's all a load of Huey myself, but everywhere needs a story right? The church was originally the site of a Saxon place of worship and it got enlarged. The stained glass was lovely though.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Church can definietly influence a person's faith though. I would have considered myself religious when I was in my teens. My parents were at best agnostic, but I found a lot of comfort in believing in a god that loved everyone. I went to church, found it benefited me

Then I moved to a much more conservative place and discovered that a lot of people believe that that same god is going to condem two thirds of the worlds population to hell fire for eternity. That put my right off. So far off in fact that I would probably say I lean more towards the belief that the is a god, but hopefully not a revealed one (revealed through religion) Because if there is a revealed one, then logic says one of the revelations is right and the rest wrong and so many of those revelations entail punishment for those wrong that I really hope they're all wrong, on the details at least.

So I don't go to church unless I know the preacher these days. Talk of punishment and of others actions that are classified as sins that I can't see as logical sins make the faith I have left a lot more fearful and weaker.

/random personal exposition

I don't know if it's Presbyterians in general, or just my preacher, but he has always told us to GO ASK FOR YOURSELF. Don't take as gospel anything he, or any other preacher, says from the pulpit. Go look it up for yourself, weigh it for yourself, and decide on it for yourself.

For example: The Presbyterians believe in Predestination, that most of the people in the world are spear carriers in the Great Play, that they were never intended to go to Heaven, and won't, regardless of what they do or don't do. I heard the arguments for myself, weighed it for myself, looked up the relevant passages in the Bible, and decided it was full of shit.

I told my preacher that -- in exactly those terms, believe it or not -- and all he said was, "You and my wife are on the same page, then!" She doesn't buy predestination, either!

That's when I knew this congregation was the one for me. Any church that preaches "think for yourself" is a gooder, in my book.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*Piles on the jealous*

The building I am referring to is the one Henry, Earl of Richmond is said to have prayed in the day before the Battle of Bosworth Field and gained a promotion. He is supposed to have stayed at the manor house across the road and ridden out from there. I reckon it's all a load of Huey myself, but everywhere needs a story right? The church was originally the site of a Saxon place of worship and it got enlarged. The stained glass was lovely though.

See, now you're just rubbing it in! I'll get you for that!!!!

:D :D :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are the choices please?

Oh no, no choices.

I just want to see what you'll randomly throw out there, and am perfectly willing to put "This was puce" or "Needs more dopamine" in the comments section of their papers.

Seriously, I don't want to be grading right now.

Last edited:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need a reason to not believe, any more than I need a reason TO believe. You just do. Or don't.

I ain't much of a preacher. Though I might just sing in your general direction.

Run. Save yourself now.

*shrug* If there's one thing I can handle, it's people preaching at me. I've picked enough fights with hyper-religious evangelicals to be utterly used to it by now.

Same reason I'm used to arguing with homophobes. I've spent so much time doing it.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh no, no choices.

I just want to see what you'll randomly through out there, and am perfectly willing to put "This was puce" or "Needs more dopamine" in the comments section of their papers.

Seriously, I don't want to be grading right now.

Oh I see.

Hold on, I need Douglas for inspiration...

Some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective, but your argument was loose in paragraph four

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*shrug* If there's one thing I can handle, it's people preaching at me. I've picked enough fights with hyper-religious evangelicals to be utterly used to it by now.

Same reason I'm used to arguing with homophobes. I've spent so much time doing it.

See, the thing is, with preaching, you can either fight back or walk away.

Not so much with my singing, which is LOUD. I trained for the opera, remember. My children swear that my singing was actually outlawed by the Geneva Convention as a crime against humanity, but nobody was brave enough to tell me! :D

ETA: even my younger daughter, who only hears a few things, will come from the back of the house and say, "Mama, please, for the love of God, stop singing!" when I'm feeling in particularly full voice! :D

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Mad, mad love for you, Tifferz :heart: You better not peek, it's really bad :D

Mwah! No, seriously, I won't peek if you don't want me to. lol

Yes, but you're just sick. We've discussed this before.

And I just improvise too much to make much use of it for that. I can see having some thing organized - like character descriptions - but if I was really so motivated I could accomplish that on my own without shelling out almost $50.

Not going to convert me on this one, I'm afraid.

I really don't use any of that other stuff (character charts and such), but Word drives me nuts because I can't switch from scene to scene with a click. I hate scrolling forever with a fiery passion. That's the main reason I use Scrivener.

Also, can't imagine how much of a PITA balancing POV would be in Word.

So, basically, my short was accepted.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :partyguy:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, you just tell me about your knowledge of golden age sci-fi, and leave me standing in the dust again going :Shrug:

Is jealous :D

:gone:

What can I say? I blame my daddy, who was a junkie for that stuff. He turned me onto that most esoteric of addictions, and it's been like crack to me ever since! :D

LONG LIVE ERIK FRANK RUSSELL!!!!!!

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
With more research this piece could become readable

I particularly enjoyed your point but unfortunately it did not address the theme of piece

Dull

Lacks vision

An interesting argument with some good points. You may want to consider olives as an alternative next time

Turnips will address your problem

Did you even turn up for the lecture?

This essay is written in the wrong colour ink

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mwah! No, seriously, I won't peek if you don't want me to. lol

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :partyguy:

:D Thanks. You are totally allowed to peek, just be warned that it's super bad. It was all written during a bout of insomnia and I'm not even sure the setting, the plot and the characters make sense :D

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With more research this piece could become readable

Sadly, I've used this one on actual papers before.

but unfortunately it did not address the theme of piece

And this.

Been tempted to use this.

Did you even turn up for the lecture?

Have desperately wanted to ask this.

This essay is written in the wrong colour ink

And yes, sadly, used this when some student handed her paper in written in pink. Not kidding on that.

As for these next two:

An interesting argument with some good points. You may want to consider olives as an alternative next time

Turnips will address your problem

Definitely going to use those. And soon.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.