Procedure for posting flash fic

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing some under a thousand stuff and I've been enjoying it. My question is about procedure.

I've got two that are historicals and I posted them in that forum for review and am currently revising them. I was going to post them in polished and ready when the majority of comments were positive.

I've got one that's technically fantasy that I'm trying to get ported there because not many people seem to frequent the challenge section. I figured I'd follow the same procedure there.

I've got one that's neither fantasy or historical (unusual for me) that I thought I'd try in contemporary.

Point is, is this the right procedure? Polished and ready seems to imply that it's been polished by someone other than me.

Also, one of my historicals seems to be okay as a story, but I've completely choked on a title for it, and the four people who have commented on it don't have any suggestions. Is it all right to put it in polished and ready asking for title ideas?

Sorry if this is stuff everyone knows, but I'm new and don't want to mess up.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi CathleenT, and welcome to AW!

I've got two that are historicals and I posted them in that forum for review and am currently revising them. I was going to post them in polished and ready when the majority of comments were positive.

Generally, it's best to post a story in just one place for feedback. There are occasional exceptions: for example, if your story has strong elements from two or more genres, and you think that you'll need feedback from readers familiar with all of them, then you could post in multiple genre sections, with an explanation of why you've done that. (This happens quite rarely, though.)

For your historicals, the Historical SYW is ideal as the one place. Once you're satisfied with the results of your revision (as much as any writer can be with their own work!) you're good to go - get it out on submission! :)

I've got one that's technically fantasy that I'm trying to get ported there because not many people seem to frequent the challenge section. I figured I'd follow the same procedure there.
Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand this. Is it that you've posted a story in the Flash Fiction Challenges room, and want it moved over to Fantasy SYW? (Which is fine - send a PM to the mod of the room it's in, and ask them to move it.)

I've got one that's neither fantasy or historical (unusual for me) that I thought I'd try in contemporary.

Point is, is this the right procedure? Polished and ready seems to imply that it's been polished by someone other than me.
Polished and Ready just means "no rough drafts". It's for stories that are as good as you can make them, whether that's from having revised it based on critiques you've received from somewhere other than SYW, or the result of having hired an editor.

P&R is a fairly quiet room. You're welcome to post your stories there, but in practice, you're likely to get more responses if you post your fantasy and your contemporary stories in the appropriate SYW sections instead.

Also, one of my historicals seems to be okay as a story, but I've completely choked on a title for it, and the four people who have commented on it don't have any suggestions. Is it all right to put it in polished and ready asking for title ideas?
It's completely okay, although I think that the method likely to get you the most responses is to make a post in the Brainstorming Sandbox (password = vista) titled something like, "Please suggest titles for my flash fiction story", and then include a link to where it is already posted.

Thank you for asking about the procedures. :) Don't worry too much about getting it 'wrong' - threads can easily be moved if another room seems like it would be a better fit.