Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Is there somewhere on the SYW forums for short stories? I'm thinking of putting this on there while it rests...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
sorry Lisa.

Grrrrr ever just get so frustrated you want to give up on writing all together? That's really how i'm feeling right now.

Yes. And then I remember that I write because I love it and I love my characters. And if I didn't, they would drive me crazy until I started again.

:(

Is there somewhere on the SYW forums for short stories? I'm thinking of putting this on there while it rests...

If there isn't a subforum for short stories, you could probably post it in the section for the genre it is. Just make sure people know it is a short story.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
no i feel the same just the road to just getting published is really getting on my nerves.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
9 almost 10 years is way to long of a time. I really thought my life would be much different now. Its not.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought it would be possible for me to be published by the time I was 21. Look at where I am now.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Ally, first of all you're still really young. I've had a dream of getting published since I was like seven or eight. I've finished a few different manuscripts, submitted a couple of those, and have been BEYOND grateful that none of them were accepted. They weren't ready, and neither was I. Some people catch a break and are able to get published their first or second try. Most don't. Those who don't, but continue to try--year after year; rejection after rejection--, may eventually be able to get somewhere with it. But it takes a while.

PS Seven or eight was almost 14(ish) years ago for me.

Last edited:

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I don't worry about getting published too much. I mean I WANT to see my book on the shelves, but I would rather focus on writing the best book I know I CAN write before I take that big step. We'll get there one day though. :)

Exactly. Seeing our books on the shelves will be awesome when that day comes. Even more so because of how long we had to wait for it. What's important now is writing, revising, and writing some more until we have the best we've got. :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, Ely!

Has anyone found "The One" - the novel that they is so unique it could be their breakthrough? There's a teeny part of me that thinks Sticks and Stones might be mine.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of feel like we can't be the judge of that, Lisa. Something we may feel is totally and completely unique and original really may not be. One of my English professors talks about that all the time.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
That is why I'm not 100% sure. My heart will say one thing, but my head will say another. If that makes sense.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I know it takes a long time. Problem is I've in those 9 years never been able to get to get to the querying stage because my Manuscript will never be ready. As silly as it sounds I wish i could get rejections from agents because then at least i would have gotten to that stage and reached that point and have the hope of getting accepted.

March will be 10 years i've been writing my series, and I've JUST heard back from one valuable beta reader. I've written 9 full books am a third done my 10th and a little over half done my 11th. I have if we count how many times i've written the first book then technically i've written 17 books. In almost 10 years i've truly accomplished nothing.

Normally i'm Miss optimistic when it come to my writing, but i just really realized its been almost and ENTIRE DECADE and nothing.... no results at all. I'm still back at square one with the same problems as when I was 11/12

Just depressing when i really think about it.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
HEY EVERYONE! *spreads joy* Ugh I'm tired. I shouldn't be... but there ya go.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought many of the wips I've worked on was "the ONE". But then they all fizzled and I lost interest in them and there were days that I wanted to just push backspace.

I had that problem. Still do, in some cases. I think for every five to ten ideas I've come up with, I've stuck with one. So I've completed one draft of one idea which I'm probably going to end up trunking, and I'm working on one idea at the moment, which seems okay, but that's not before I started about a dozen other ideas. lol. It's like... you wait for one bus, and five come along at once -.- I do love that bus analogy :p

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Me too, Ely!

Has anyone found "The One" - the novel that they is so unique it could be their breakthrough? There's a teeny part of me that thinks Sticks and Stones might be mine.

My series.. had that feeling since i was 11! How did i know? Because I'm utterly in love with it. Always have been and always will be. It is truely unique, well i think so for I wrote it because i never read anything like it and wished i could have found something like it but didnt so therefore i wrote it.

Sadly more people (and as in more i'm comparing the 10 to 1 ratio of people i asked) like The Amnesia Journey way more then my series. It actually really pisses me off, because i only started writing that for fun, with little means of doing anything with it. I like it alot but its not my series.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am definitely going to finish the short story by next week. And then I'm going to leave it for a few days before I edit it.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you've finished the novel before making claims like that, Lisa. :tongue

But that's been TRL for me for, like, ever. Not 'cause it's unique, just 'cause... I don't know.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I keep thinking I should clear out my documents of ideas and just have the ones I'm actually writing, but I feel that's almost criminal to my imagination. I guess one day, I might go through the ideas and think "Hey, that could go somewhere,"
But in the meantime, it's just clogging up my organisation <_<

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
My series.. had that feeling since i was 11! How did i know? Because I'm utterly in love with it. Always have been and always will be. It is truely unique, well i think so for I wrote it because i never read anything like it and wished i could have found something like it but didnt so therefore i wrote it.

Sadly more people (and as in more i'm comparing the 10 to 1 ratio of people i asked) like The Amnesia Journey way more then my series. It actually really pisses me off, because i only started writing that for fun, with little means of doing anything with it. I like it alot but its not my series.

Well, maybe that's good thing. That people like The Amnesia Journey more. I think it just means that you grew as a writer/storyteller.

I remember when I posted my *first* novel on a writing site. I loved it to death. I had worked on it ever since I was nine and I wanted so bad for everyone to like it, only the comments I got were far from what I wanted so...I decided not to let that get me down. I kept writing, I kept improving my craft, my style. I wrote poems and short stories, learned from feedback and even though I haven't really finished any more novels, I am a better writer because I moved on.

I am a better writer and even though my first novel is still apart of me, I know that if I hadn't let it go, I wouldn't be the writer I am today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.