Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Such awesome shots, everyone!

Y'all made me dream about my camera and stalking wildlife. I don't even have a camera :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...You people are making me wish that I had the money for a decent camera. :e2bummed:
Quality equipment helps; but I've seen amazing pictures taken with cheap cameras, disposable ones even. Whatever brand you own is most likely sufficient to get good results. The main thing is to practice and learn to improve from each outing. Study the images you take, especially the bad ones, to find out what went wrong and how best to avoid similar problems in the future. Before long your confidence will grow, and you'll have a greater sense of what you're trying to capture well before the picture is taken. You might even surprise yourself at times and think, Yes! That's what I was aiming for and nailed it.

When that happens, it might prove addictive as you search for greater challenges to test your abilities and the camera's range...
Hope you don't mind; this one is now a desktop picture. :)
I almost didn't share that one because the glare on the water bothered me at first. Glad I did, now. :)

Such awesome shots, everyone!

Y'all made me dream about my camera and stalking wildlife. I don't even have a camera :D
No camera? But how in the world do you survive without one? ;)
Speaking of stalking wildlife, someone sent me this youtube link and it's the coolest thing I've seen all day!

Counting Bears in Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vJRDpTUIrJI&vq=medium
Such great work they're doing, delivered in a humorous vein that kept me hoping the clip would last longer.

Thanks for sharing it here.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of stalking wildlife, someone sent me this youtube link and it's the coolest thing I've seen all day!

Counting Bears in Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vJRDpTUIrJI&vq=medium

Just for info for those who don't know about Rick Mercer, this clip is from his show The Rick Mercer Report on CBC. It's been on the air for about 7 years. He does mostly political commentary but also travels around the country doing segments with various groups including the military, search and rescue, universities, sports teams and training facilities. There are a few other nature clips including whale watching in the Bay of Fundy. His youtube channel.

Sorry for the derail

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I almost didn't share that one because the glare on the water bothered me at first. Glad I did, now. :)
FWIW, I think the glare on the water helped make that pic the awesome thing it is. It's like the bird is flying against a backdrop of flowing mercury.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Just for info for those who don't know about Rick Mercer, this clip is from his show The Rick Mercer Report on CBC. It's been on the air for about 7 years. He does mostly political commentary but also travels around the country doing segments with various groups including the military, search and rescue, universities, sports teams and training facilities. There are a few other nature clips including whale watching in the Bay of Fundy. His youtube channel.

Sorry for the derail
I really like his style in that bear clip and will check out more of his stuff soon.

Please don't feel that you're derailing this thread in any way, as you've actually helped to enhance it, I think.

FWIW, I think the glare on the water helped make that pic the awesome thing it is. It's like the bird is flying against a backdrop of flowing mercury.
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it... ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
For our dear Wicked, and anyone else venturing a guess, a challenge to name this one, shown here in two different poses.

What is it?

3-11-12065-SM.jpg

3-11-12067-SM.jpg

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing some sort of dragonfly. :Shrug: Great shots btw. :)

Quality equipment helps; but I've seen amazing pictures taken with cheap cameras, disposable ones even. Whatever brand you own is most likely sufficient to get good results. The main thing is to practice and learn to improve from each outing. Study the images you take, especially the bad ones, to find out what went wrong and how best to avoid similar problems in the future. Before long your confidence will grow, and you'll have a greater sense of what you're trying to capture well before the picture is taken. You might even surprise yourself at times and think, Yes! That's what I was aiming for and nailed it.

When that happens, it might prove addictive as you search for greater challenges to test your abilities and the camera's range...

I think I just haven't really had the time to mess with it much. I have a digital camera, but not an expensive one. I take bad shots of my cats, can't imagine being able to take any good ones of any actual wildlife. :Shrug:

Great show, very funny guy. Thanks for sharing Kay. :)

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to take some duck pictures today, but they kept swimming too damn far away!

I might be able to come up with some ocean pictures though.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ocean is part of nature, right?

Here's a shot I took in Newport:
rockybeach2-1.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to take some duck pictures today, but they kept swimming too damn far away!

I might be able to come up with some ocean pictures though.
Can you tell what kind of ducks they were? We often see mallards here that are fond of mooning us on occasion:

3-9-12083-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful shot, RhymeGirl. Makes me wish I was there right now.

SK, maybe it's just me, but them ducks kind of resemble your avie...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...SK, maybe it's just me, but them ducks kind of resemble your avie...
They look like fish to you? ;)

A couple of gator shots, this one with a brave coot hovering nearby:

3-11-12170-SM.jpg

And later, as he eased in toward shore before going under and disappearing for good:

3-11-12201-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you, quit teasing. *pushes you*

Here's a random nature shot.

DSCN0533.jpg

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell what kind of ducks they were? We often see mallards here that are fond of mooning us on occasion:

3-9-12083-SM.jpg

I'm fairly certain that's quickWit and cray.

They look like fish to you? ;)

A couple of gator shots, this one with a brave coot hovering nearby:

3-11-12170-SM.jpg

And later, as he eased in toward shore before going under and disappearing for good:

3-11-12201-SM.jpg

Both great shots, but I especially love the first one. It reminds me of the alleged Loch Ness pics.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One more for the road.

After considerable effort, I'd hoped to get a better shot of Haggisaurus than this one, but it will have to do for now:

3-11-12106-SM.jpg