"I Hope They Ain't Black" moments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think it also has a lot to do with worrying about what others think. Like others have mentioned in this thread, I get guilty when some idiot makes a comment that is either racist or homophobic. Thinking about it, the reason I don't feel guilt over the murders/other horrible things my race does is because I know I won't be ... blamed? That's not the right word, but I doubt anyone will associate me personally with that crime. Whereas I know people could associate me personally with racist or homophobic comments that are made by my people of my skin colour and/or social background.

I don't think that "worrying about what others think" is really the issue, though...if you are priviledged, you do not have to worry about what others think. When someone from a disadvantaged group does something bad, people with an agenda against that group usually will try to use it against that group. White people do not need to worry about anybody using Jeffery Dahmer to advance their anti-white agenda.

nighttimer doesn't strike me as the type to worry much about what others think. :)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I do this all the time.

POC,Blacks-in my case-are never judged as individuals. What one does,we all do. It's why I worry so about my sons. All three are quiet,fun loving and sweet boys. But because of the behavior of some Black boys and men,they are going to be lumped right in.

Just another issue we deal with on a daily basis,unfortunately.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that "worrying about what others think" is really the issue, though...if you are priviledged, you do not have to worry about what others think. When someone from a disadvantaged group does something bad, people with an agenda against that group usually will try to use it against that group. White people do not need to worry about anybody using Jeffery Dahmer to advance their anti-white agenda.

nighttimer doesn't strike me as the type to worry much about what others think. :)

Nighttimer doesn't worry much about what others think of Nighttimer.

I worry very much about how Black people are thought of.

Between the hood rats and thug images so many young brothers and sisters have bought into and the Magic Negroes, Madeas and token Black friends that populate Hollywood's films I really can't blame non-Blacks for thinking we're all rappers, ballers, dancers, in prison on welfare, popping out babies or dying in the gutters from a gunshot wound.

There's a reason why Chris Rock's Black People vs. Niggers routine resonated so much. It was the gospel truth.

:ROFL: We were laughing to keep from crying. :cry:

Last edited:

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Night,

Unfortunately, Black folks have been made to feel badly if a perpetrator ends up being Black. We shouldn't "own" those feelings, but collectively we often do.

I do it--sometimes. I know other AA's who do it. I have tried to stop doing it. We are made to feel that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's very sickening. We are always treated like the "bad" guy, no matter what.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Night,

Unfortunately, Black folks have been made to feel badly if a perpetrator ends up being Black. We shouldn't "own" those feelings, but collectively we often do.

I do it--sometimes. I know other AA's who do it. I have tried to stop doing it. We are made to feel that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's very sickening. We are always treated like the "bad" guy, no matter what.

With the notable exception of embarrassments to the race like Uncle Clarence Thomas.

I don't think there's a dime's worth of real difference between the damage the most thuggish gang-banger, sleazy pimp, or ruthless drug dealer do to the Black community and the worst member of the Supreme Court. Uncle Ruckus/Thomas doesn't make me feel bad for Black folks. Just angry as hell how he dogs Black folks.

Given a choice between Uncle Thomas and Flavor Flav at his most repulsive, I'd have to sit and flip a coin best two out of three times and even then I'd still have to kill a bottle of really cheap vodka before I could make up my mind.

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
Wow. I never realized PoC was here. Fascinating. I would've come by a lot sooner if I had paid attention.

I have a somewhat unique perspective (well, unique if you're not a half Korean, half white army brat that grew up overseas for the majority of the first half of your life). I am a PoC, but I have my foot in a couple doors.

Race, in the military, has never been an issue. At least not race in the military overseas. We were always one big group of Americans all trying not to make Americans look bad and getting really pissed off at the ones that did.

I'm always incredibly embarrassed by white people and it never has anything to do with race. Sure, I suppose I'm embarrassed by racist white folks but I'm no more embarrassed by them than I am of the trashy disgusting white guy in a wife-beater drinking beer in his front yard on a beat up old couch and a toilet in the yard with old and dried out crispy flower carcasses because at one point they thought their busted toilet would make a great flower pot. As far as I'm concerned, they're all embarrassing and they all make us look bad.

I'm not black so my experience with racism is not quite the same - asians are slightly less offensive to racist whites than blacks, I think. Only slightly. I've had my share of having to duck while driving through Ludowici, Georgia. At the time, they were still burning crosses. I don't know if that's true today, though.

I've experienced ignorance from other cultures based on my race and my citizenship. And I've experienced racism from Koreans for not being pure. To many, I simply don't belong anywhere and even though I don't get acceptance (some Koreans can be really nasty about it) I do seem to at least deserve their pity - which I don't want or need. That kind of embarrasses me but I don't think anyone really sees it enough for me to be embarrassed for an entire race. I understand there's a lot of this in the black community for not being black enough.

I've also found that *all* people tend to forget I'm a PoC, too. Normal, don't consider themselves racist types. They get too comfortable around me and say things they wouldn't have otherwise said to a person more noticeably asian (or white when I'm with asians). In some ways, because of that I think I might actually be confronted with more racism than the average PoC.

Even with all that, I still don't actually get embarrassed by acts committed by race and I rarely look at things as being a possible representation of an entire race. Strangely, I have wondered what other people like African Americans thought about it, or hispanics, etc. I've wondered how they respond to these types of things knowing how society views acts of violence/stupidity and applies it to the racial stereotype. I guess now I know. ;)

With Asians I find there are less stereotypes about violence (well, if you forget about the Yakuza and the secret/stealthy/enlightened/deadly ninja/samurai/monk stereotypes), but more for social skills and appearance.

But I'm always embarrassed by acts representing my citizenship. So it's a different view but similar. I grew up feeling the pressure of foreign eyes surrounding me and judging me solely based on what country I was born in. And I saw the racism of those countries which isn't any different from the racism here.

I lived in Germany when the wall came down. I lived 45 minutes from the Czech border. You wouldn't believe the racism that came down with the walls, or the people that behaved in ways that only fed their stereotypes. And when the Gypsies came...hoo boy howdy...

So as someone else said, it's not just Americans that deal with it. We just don't really see it in other countries because...we aren't in other countries.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always incredibly embarrassed by white people and it never has anything to do with race. Sure, I suppose I'm embarrassed by racist white folks but I'm no more embarrassed by them than I am of the trashy disgusting white guy in a wife-beater drinking beer in his front yard on a beat up old couch and a toilet in the yard with old and dried out crispy flower carcasses because at one point they thought their busted toilet would make a great flower pot. As far as I'm concerned, they're all embarrassing and they all make us look bad.

Who? Poor people? You're more embarassed by white people who are poor than racist people? I'm just not sure what to make of your statement here, and why you're "always incredibly embarassed by white people."

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I can understand the whole, I hope they ain't black, thing. I usually feel the same way when it's a GLBT person in the news. I think anyone in a minority group probably feels that way most of the time when someone from their group is in the news for a crime.

Midian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Who? Poor people?

You said poor, I never did.

You're more embarassed by white people who are poor than racist people?

Again, you said poor. I never said poor nor did I imply poor. You don't have to be poor to be that guy. I know plenty of middle class people that are that guy. I know people with hundreds of acres of working ranch land that are that guy. Poor has nothing to do with it. Don't twist my words around to sound petty and trite, please.

I'm just not sure what to make of your statement here, and why you're "always incredibly embarassed by white people."

The thread is about being embarrassed by your race. And there was a comment made about white people not really being embarrassed by white people because it's not considered a reflection upon them. Lots of white people do lots of embarrassing things. I'm not real sure what's confusing to you about that. It seems more like you're trying to find a reason to be mad than to actually have one.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Let's go gently, folks, and remember to assume goodwill on one another's part.

Otherwise, when the respective mod Kitties get back they'll smack the backs of some heads and I'll help 'em.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
You said poor, I never did.

Again, you said poor. I never said poor nor did I imply poor. You don't have to be poor to be that guy. I know plenty of middle class people that are that guy. I know people with hundreds of acres of working ranch land that are that guy. Poor has nothing to do with it. Don't twist my words around to sound petty and trite, please.

The thread is about being embarrassed by your race. And there was a comment made about white people not really being embarrassed by white people because it's not considered a reflection upon them. Lots of white people do lots of embarrassing things. I'm not real sure what's confusing to you about that. It seems more like you're trying to find a reason to be mad than to actually have one.

I'm not mad. I'm trying to understand what you're saying. No need to be defensive. Just explain yourself, okay?

Midian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not mad. I'm trying to understand what you're saying. No need to be defensive. Just explain yourself, okay?

No, from every word you chose in your response to me, it wasn't at all trying to understand what I was saying. Is it really that hard to say, sorry, I didn't mean to twist your words around, please explain? It's the internets, by Gods, you don't even have to mean it; just be polite enough to say it. Or just as acceptable would've been no apology but a simple that's not how I meant it, please explain. Or even if you still wanted to toss blame on me for saying something that might have been inadvertently offensive (it wouldn't be the first time I've done that): that was the implication I was getting from what you said, if that's not what you meant please explain. (These are all rhetorical observations, I'm not looking for a response.)

:Huh: Instead it's somehow an overreaction on my part for being so silly as to be insulted by something that to me, was obviously geared to skew what I said. Pretending like it's not even a little understandable to you that I would take it the way I did, even if it was a misunderstanding, is beyond me.

I really don't understand that and I think the best course of action for me is to just walk away. I dunno. Maybe I'm still being defensive. But in my experience, it's turned into the kind of conversation that never goes anywhere good, especially when it seems someone is hell-bent on making me out to be a bad guy no matter what I say.

I'm sure the conversation'll get back on a better course without me in it.

:gone:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Pretending like it's not even a little understandable to you that I would take it the way I did, even if it was a misunderstanding, is beyond me.

And yet, you are saying things like:

the trashy disgusting white guy in a wife-beater drinking beer in his front yard on a beat up old couch and a toilet in the yard with old and dried out crispy flower carcasses because at one point they thought their busted toilet would make a great flower pot

and pretending you don't know that it's a stereotype of poor people, and pretending you don't understand why I would think it sounds a little classist. If you look at my post, I actually did ask you what you meant, and you still haven't explained this example. You don't have to explain it if you don't want to, but I am not going to apologize because I asked.

writeaway

Registered
Reaction score
I was praying to God that the person eating that man on the bridge wasn't black. He was. :(

I also get annoyed now there are starting to be more black serial killers. UGH!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand the whole, I hope they ain't black, thing. I usually feel the same way when it's a GLBT person in the news. I think anyone in a minority group probably feels that way most of the time when someone from their group is in the news for a crime.

Me too. I also get strangely jumpy when my gay friends divorce. It makes no logical sense, but a part of me just wants to scream "You couldn't just hold it together and smile until the legalize this universally?!"

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was praying to God that the person eating that man on the bridge wasn't black. He was. :(

I also get annoyed now there are starting to be more black serial killers. UGH!

Not exactly what Dr. King was getting at with his dream of equality, right?

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
When that kid a few years back who was Korean American shot a bunch of people at that college (I think it was an Ivy league??) Korea apologized for him. Sent a letter to the college asking that it would not reflect poorly on the Koreans in the college. (I know that confused a lot of the white community... Why is an entire country apologizing for one student? And when that student isn't even a Korean citizen).

Which goes to show... yes! PoCs seem to feel this everywhere. They ain't one of ours... please tell me you won't use them as an example of our entire country/nationality/ethnic group/race.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many times I'm ashamed to be human.

Q.F.T.

The shooting spree in Aurora, Colorado perfectly encapsulated the danger of assumptions.

When I first saw the news, I thought if the body count was confined to the single-digits, it might be a gang-related shooting or some jerk who decide to come to the the movie strapped.

In other words: The shooter would probably be Black or Latino.

Once I saw the degree of planning, the systematic and deliberate way the gunman (because it's nearly always a man) planned and executed his crime and how cruel and sadistic he was in dispatching his victims, that indicated something else entirely.

In other words: The shooter would probably be White.

And there would be no collective guilt for White people because James Holmes is a lone nutcase. Aren't they all?

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Once I saw the degree of planning, the systematic and deliberate way the gunman (because it's nearly always a man) planned and executed his crime and how cruel and sadistic he was in dispatching his victims, that indicated something else entirely.

In other words: The shooter would probably be White.

And there would be no collective guilt for White people because James Holmes is a lone nutcase. Aren't they all?

This were my thoughts almost exactly this morning...

I remember all the jokes with the school shooting in Finland, saying that of course people should start racially profiling blue-eyed blonds. But the thing is, it could be a joke, because it wouldn't happen. Lone nutcase, as you say.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stangely, the Colorado shooting made me think, "I hope he's not a Batman fan." Weird, huh?

Nah. Not really. Those who know nothing about Chris Nolan's take on Batman will be quick to suggest his films played a role in the evil actions of James Holmes.

First, they want to know what the killer's political allegiances are. If that doesn't bear fruit, they'll go after his pop culture interests. If Holmes has written a manifesto somewhere and wants to claim he wanted to "watch the world burn" they'll blame it on The Joker (and Nolan).

People love easy answers to hard questions. It saves them the trouble of having to think too much and go beyond their own narrow and limited prejudices.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread topic. I feel this way whenever I see black women oversexualizong themselves. It's weird because I know it's slut shaming—it's none of my business if a black woman shakes her ass for YouTube likes. But I know we're judged collectively. And so I tend to have higher standards for black women in regards to what I perceive as "self respect."

There's a website called hotghettomess.com full of black women (and men) doing things that wouldn't bother me if they were white. And have you noticed how under any news story, YouTube video, blog post whatever about a black person, someone says something along the lines of "tsk tsk tsk black people!"

Although I see the reverse a little more now where someone hurts themselves doing something stupid and someone simply replies "white people."

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The first thought I had on April 19, 1995, was 'I hope they ain't Arabs!' That was the date of the Oklahoma City bombing, and I'm half Lebanese. On September 11, 2001 it was a different story. I've never even been to the Middle East, and the fact that one of my cousins from the Italian side of my family was killed in the second tower made no difference. I still felt shame.

I agree, this is a very interesting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.