Richard III's skeleton identified

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
...in a parking lot/car park. I know they've suspected the skeleton was his for a while. The DNA analysis just confirmed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

Some people are saying a separation of 17 generations is too great to be certain about the identification, but the context seems to make up for that. Right place, right date, scoliosis, wounds that point to personal hatred of the man . . . It adds up, in my eyes.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone see the follow-up programme on More4 last night? Very interesting info on the archaeology [I am biased though, as Leicester is where I am studying archaeology :D]

I still don't understand Mary Beard's stance on this though. It was a Cambridge University archaeologist who was brought into study the curvature, and even he agreed it was Richard!

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Does that also mean you are in favour of the Leicester burial then, GothicAngel, despite it going against his wishes and the wishes of his closest living relatives? ;)

Is Mary Beard being sceptical? In the beginning her objections were just to the way it was being treated as such a massive marketing opportunity. (I don't agree with her on that though - in an ideal world it would be nice not to have to, but smaller universities are always going to feel embattled and I don't blame them for extracting the biggest possible benefit from it.)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Does that also mean you are in favour of the Leicester burial then, GothicAngel, despite it going against his wishes and the wishes of his closest living relatives? ;)

Well, I can argue that there is no historical record to back that up. :D

Personally, I would have rather have had him interred at Westminster. I live in NE England, and have no particular inclination to see him interred at York. I believe that the license to excavate said that he was to be buried at the closest place possible.

I would like to argue that James IV of Scots should be repatriated to Scotland, so that he can be buried in Stirling as he wished. :D

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, let's definitely move James IV, that would be fun :D

As I understand it the licence listed 3 options, Leicester Cathedral or Jewry Wall Museum (there'd be a public outcry if they even thought about that!) or any other suitable consecrated place. So the flexibility is there.

Seriously, he'd be more use to Leicester than any other place, but I do feel a little bit uncomfortable about such an instrumental approach being taken with the remains of a human being.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad they've found him, and that he'll have a known and honored place. Strangely, it does matter--a little like the return of the war dead or their dog tags.

Welcome home, Richard.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
How about the Daily Mail headline that said "Richard III's Ancestors Demand York Burial"?

That headline has since been updated, of course, but... holy cow!!!
:ROFL:

On the other hand, I'd love to see Richard III's ancestors visit Leicester. Do they clack and clatter as they walk?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
How about the Daily Mail headline that said "Richard III's Ancestors Demand York Burial"?

That headline has since been updated, of course, but... holy cow!!!
:ROFL:

On the other hand, I'd love to see Richard III's ancestors visit Leicester. Do they clack and clatter as they walk?

That's brilliant. :)

I'll have a dig through my emails, but I recall reading the university newsletter, that York has laid no claim to remains.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was broadcast yesterday, I think. I certainly watched one yesterday. The research team found a young lad with exactly the same spinal condition as Richard 111 and he helped them test how the king could have performed in armour and on a warhorse, among other things charging for 1,000 yards and then slicing a target with a sword.

Truly riveting stuff.

Richard 111's diet also came under scrutiny.

It was concluded the falling off his horse was his downfall - his lacking of the saddle support reduced his stamina. Mind you, I suspect falling off a horse in battle would have contributed to the downfall of any armoured knight.

They've discovered some new information about Richard III's diet from his bones:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...n-revealed--the-richard-iii-diet-9673772.html

Also, there will be a Channel 4 documentary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ting-Richard-III-Channel-4s-New-Evidence.html

I really hope PBS picks this up and airs it soon!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Bufty: ah, I see on closer reading that it did indeed air on Channel 4 already. I know the (Channel 4?) documentary about he discovery of the bones was aired in the US on PBS pretty quickly. I hope the same is done with this one, because it sounds fascinating.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
That's a thought. I hope that Richard arrives at the reinterment on a horse drawn carriage. A medieval king arriving by motor calvacade just seems wrong . . .

However they wind up transporting him, I would certainly expect it to be more dignified than the way the Tudors handled him. :cry:

Bufty: ah, I see on closer reading that it did indeed air on Channel 4 already. I know the (Channel 4?) documentary about he discovery of the bones was aired in the US on PBS pretty quickly.

No one notified me. I most certainly would have watched. :Jaw:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is fascinating. (And I just finished reading WE SPEAK NO TREASON, so I'm especially interested.)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have been reading about him since I was a teen. Always wondered what he was really like. This whole thing fascinates me and I will be looking for the documentary--s6