JeanneTGC's Blogging Lessons from SherryTex's Humor Clinic

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks for the information. I'm just getting together the ideas for the blog I want to write and it's good to have these details to start. I want to try some freelance writing and I'm hoping this will be a start to get some writing samples together. :)
You're very welcome! And you're in the right forum, tons of good info here (as well as the rest of AW ;)).

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Another great way to publicize your blog is to become a regular commentor on blogs you like. Don't shamelessly plug your own blog, just be active in the community, be relevant and make sure you keep your website address in your signature block. People who like what you said in your comments are likely to check out your blog, too....
Very true and a very good point! Everyone, pay attention to jwallace's suggestion, because it's a great one and one we can all do.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there. This info is helping me alot. I'm researching blogs to start my own. Please tell me the difference between having just a blog and having a blog section on a website...besides the cost.
Thanks, Es

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Hey there. This info is helping me alot. I'm researching blogs to start my own. Please tell me the difference between having just a blog and having a blog section on a website...besides the cost.
Thanks, Es
It depends on what you're looking for as an author.

I have my blog as part of my website, because I want readers to buy my books far more than I necessarily want them to read my blog. My blog is there for my readers -- for entertainment, information, etc. -- but my goal as a published author is to have people buy my books. Ergo, it's a part of my website.

For a novice wanting to get their feet wet, a blog that stands alone on one of the many blog networks is both free and a lot less pressure.

Which is right for you? I can't say. Only you know your own goals and where you are in the process. However, I do think authors are getting lost in the forest and can't see the trees -- only a small percentage of bloggers will be able to turn their actual blog into a successful book contract. For the rest of us, it's writing time that could be used for our books. So, go into it with clear goals -- your goals, not someone else's -- and choose accordingly.