White Samurai and Gryphons (Yet another diversity in YA thread.)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you're looking for English-language Japanese stuff, there's Haikasoru. They mainly translate Japanese work into English, though they also have a few pieces by non-Japanese authors. Miyuki Miyabe's books might be in the general area you're after.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe because the cities are also full of canals and windmills keep the place from flooding and they plant prized tulips beside their goldfish ponds?
Maybe instead of goldfish they should breed miniature water dragons in those ponds. :)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I've started reading this book for research on what not to do and I can't help but wonder where the heck all of the people and landmass between Japan and Germany went.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
He collapsed all of them into the griffin!

Hyperdimensional griffin?

Like okay yes I can get the whole sea-based empire thing, it has been done before before even the advent of air ships. But still, Japan to Germany and Northern Europe in general is really, really far over lots and lots of unfriendly terrain, or even further across lots and lots of ocean. Like if I was starting an empire from Japan, Northern Europe would not be my first pick for colonies. Considering history, I'd think they'd be fighting China over Korea or something, maybe squabbling with Russians over territory they barely ever look at. But the idea that they are trying to colonize lands with lots of white people in them is absurd with no mention of other colonies or at least allies physically between them.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping the thread to ask if it's still appropriation if it's using England or America? Like setting a story against the backdrop of a royal or presidential scandal, but setting it in a made-up country. I guess like how medieval worlds use the English feudal system and things, but aren't really accurate to real-world history?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Bumping the thread to ask if it's still appropriation if it's using England or America? Like setting a story against the backdrop of a royal or presidential scandal, but setting it in a made-up country. I guess like how medieval worlds use the English feudal system and things, but aren't really accurate to real-world history?

It's generally not considered appropriation because the power differential between the author and members of the culture is generally negative when the culture in question is Western European. It's certainly possible to appropriate, I suppose, but the chance that any given author will is pretty small.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
What if the author appropriates their own culture? For example, what if the author of STORMDANCER had a Japanese mom? Would it even count as appropriation then? But what if it's done in a pop culture style, disrespectful manner?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
What if the author appropriates their own culture? For example, what if the author of STORMDANCER had a Japanese mom? Would it even count as appropriation then? But what if it's done in a pop culture style, disrespectful manner?

You can't really appropriate your own culture. If a Japanese person wrote Stormdancer, I'd still think it was an awful book, but I personally would not find it appropriative in the way I do currently. However, I have never seen a Japanese person write a story like Stormdancer. I read a lot of Japanese fiction, watch manga and anime, and occasionally some JDramas. Never once has anything like Stormdancer appeared before me in those things.

However, adoption or mixed parentage can still be a bit controversial in terms of appropriation. I think that's a more complicated topic than is really relevant to this particular thread.