Whose Career Would You Most Want to Emulate?

JustLaurie

Too young to care
Registered
Reaction score
Courtney Summers. Forever and ever.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned her, yet. She's on my list of people whose careers I'd like to emulate, along with John Green and Melina Marchetta...

And yeah, JK Rowling, too :D

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
there are so many people who hate her. I'd rather be poor and loved than rich and hated.

I'm going to disagree with this. I think if you want to be a writer--if you want to write anything at all--you have to be prepared for people to hate you. Putting yourself out there is just part of the deal, and there's no way around it.

As for myself, I think I'd pick Jane Yolen. Love that she is so successful in so many different genres, and while I currently write YA, I also have plenty of ideas for adult novels, MG, and even picture books in all sorts of sub-genres.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
John Green. Not only are his books widely loved, but so is he. People watch his vlogs, visit his website, follow him on twitter - with him, it's not just the books, it's the whole person. And I love his humour and Brotherhood 2.0. I don't know of an author who so many teenagers have crushes on. Except maybe Stephenie Meyer...[/kidding]

Courtney Summers, definitely. Three unique, edgy, dramatic books that have won wide praise from readers and authors. And she seems like a cool person.

Okay, so I'm pathetic. :D

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
Meg Cabot. She has a steady career and manages to put out books like crazy every year. I'd like to be able to think up multiple plots and finish my manuscript in a DECENT amount of time. While her genre isn't what I typically read, her books are fun and they're actually good (I was surprised that I liked the entire Princess Diaries series...I love horror, I'm writing horror/dark fantasy). Not to mention that her personality seems approachable. I wouldn't mind being that awesome of an author.

Exactly what I was going to say. Well, the part about how much she puts out and how consistent the quality is. Also, I'd love for my books to be made into cheesy disney movies. Honest.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
J.K Rowling. Not only cos I love her and Harry but also because it's the ultimate rags to riches fairytale.

Edit: Also Richelle Mead. She seems so lovely and humbled by her success.

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett! Famous and still indie!
Or Meg Cabot. Her books cracked me up when I was younger and I wanted to get to know her personally.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
YES.

And John Green.

Except they both write contemp... and I... don't.

I wanted to add Tamora Pierce to my list, but had the opposite problem, lawl. She writes fantasy, and I...don't (but maybe one day...).

And to update my list, I'd love to have a career like Markus Zusak as well.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score

I want you to have a fabulous, Laurie-shaped career.

If, however, you really want to emulate Courtney, first we'll have to get you saying "eh?"

childoflight

Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Between the sneaky bookshelves of Barnes & Noble.
Absolutely J.R.R. Tolkien! He was brilliant, used words beautifully, and created the most epic tale in my knowledge. His books are a mixture of brilliance and magnificence. Among a list of very few, he is definitely a 'hero', to me.

In a way, Christopher Paolini.. Yeah, he took some stuff from LOTR, Star Wars, etc. etc. (but when you think about it, a lot of writers do this. The extent of which he did it, however, was too vast for me)

But, I mean, the support he got/gets from his family-- whoa! I wish I had that sort of support! (Writing feels so solitary! Especially when there's no one to read it. There are moments when I write something really well and long for someone to share it with.)

And now he'll probably be able to write as long as he wishes. Lucky boy!

Other writers like Jane Austen, Shannon Hale (love her vivid writing style), Mark Twain.. I could go on and on!

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I'm going with John Marsden

He's not big internationally, but he's HUGE in Australia and his books are read by teens and adults. He's just had a big screen movie made. Aaand - he runs his own school and ran writing camps for teens in the bush :)

Also, I am fond of Elizabeth Scott. She's written so many varied books - always going with a different flavour. She puts out two books a year and while they might not blow my mind, they are always a pleasure to read and I think teens really enjoy her work. Aaand - i ADORE her author photo :D

JustLaurie

Too young to care
Registered
Reaction score
I want you to have a fabulous, Laurie-shaped career.

If, however, you really want to emulate Courtney, first we'll have to get you saying "eh?"

Love you. Eh?

Jessykuh

Registered
Reaction score
J.K. Rowling, for other reasons already stated and just because of her ability to create this whole new world. I grew up with the Harry Potter books and as I grew up, so did Harry, Hermione and Ron. I would love to create a series that grows with the readers.

Mecegirl

Insanity is colorblind
Registered
Reaction score
Tamara Peirce

I loved her Tortall series. And it was awesome that she wrote female protaganists and the all had different personalities and strengths.

Wendy Jenae

Autonomous & Nocturnal
Registered
Reaction score
No one has mentioned Judy Blume!

To have written books that, don't just stand the test of time, but are fiercely loved by generations and had such an impact on shaping the emotional growth of so many would be just incredible.

I have no idea how wealthy she is. And I don't recall any of her books being made into blockbuster movies, but to know you had such a profound impact on many lives would satisfying beyond anything.

Jumpy2

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm thinking Christopher Pike. Extremely prolific, manages to stay under the radar (JK Rowling's got a good life but I wouldnt want all the media scrutiny) and apperantly he surfs every day. Which seems really blissful.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
For YA I'll claim Lemony Snicket (okay, Daniel Handler). I love the imagination in those books, and the darkness underlying the world.

In the adult world, I'd second China Mieville. His worlds are so full of life and inventiveness, not to mention delving into philosophy, politics, and all other sorts of issues.

EDIT: I forgot to say, well, why I'd want to emulate their careers. It's because in both cases they are critically respected, popular, and able (as far as I can tell) to write what they want.

Last edited:

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm thinking Christopher Pike. Extremely prolific, manages to stay under the radar (JK Rowling's got a good life but I wouldnt want all the media scrutiny) and apperantly he surfs every day. Which seems really blissful.

Except for when he's hassling Amazon reviewers!

I do love me some Christopher Pike. REMEMBER ME was one of my favorites in middle school.

Josef VonQuestenberg

On thin ice
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Anderson. Totally. He's the only actor that I really even look like, and if I'd lose some weight in my neck and chin, I'd actually bare decent resemblence.

crazies-deputy.jpg

"I saw movement!"

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I've been holding off commenting on this thread for awhile now because I couldn't come up with anyone.

And I still can't :)

There are so many great authors out there with wonderfully awesome careers! All I can wish is that one day, years from now I can come back to this thread and someone has written my name down as to who's career they'd like to emulate.