Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Welcome back, Rick!

Leanan- Wow, moving back will be a big job I imagine!

I plan on doing some more writing today. I feel like a snail, but any movement forward is movement.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

Welcome back Rick!!!!

*vamp dust* Trinza!

Kids are off to school and I have many full days work to cram into today and still I procrastinate.
I could medal in this.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

My 2013 writing goals are:
--Finish the YA
--Start the (oh god I hope) big amazing commercial book that's my next project
--Revise book 3 for my editor
--Do whatever publishing things I need to for book 2
--Maybe work on the connected short stories thing I'd like to finish some day
--Waste as much time as humanly possible on the internets and then wonder why I didn't get anything done all year.

Also, I'm going to a writing retreat in April, maybe Sirens again in the fall, and I'd like to do Readercon, but there are also tracking tests and work and...

We're supposed to get our first winter storm tomorrow which means I should get the leaves and things out of my driveway today so I can shovel it when it snows.

[Also, if anyone wants to vote, W!de 0p3n's cover is in the cover battle quarterfinals here. It's up against Brand0n S@nderson and his NYTs best-sellerness so I don't hold out much hope, but every vote counts!]

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lily that is an awesome life event.
Something I forgot to add. Caren the owner told everyone to not expect anything. Some people take nothing away, some are filled with joy, others a sense of purpose. It is all about your own natural state....

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Today's the day I'm gonna kill someone, I just know it. I've been here less than 45 minutes, and I already have a list.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Fire, yeah, I hear you.

Since a few people repped me, I'm whitetexting the gist of last night's rant.
For background, I used to be fairly religious, but 9/11 sort of beat it out of me - Problem of Evil type stuff. There are times when I honestly wish I still believed, and Friday was one of them. So basically, if I see one more picture of angelic children with the caption 'God called them home', I'm going to lose my nut. Maybe there's a heaven, maybe there's not, and I have no problem with people who believe either way, but this did not fucking happen because God was short a few children up there. It happened because someone made a choice to commit a heinous crime, and no fuzzy pictures of Jesus in a classroom are going to change that.

It doesn't help that the same people are posting the Mike Huckabee 'where was God' crap along with their rants about the second amendment, but... yeah.

Otherwise, to anyone who (wisely) chose not to read the above crap - Good morning and :Hug2:

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Rick.
Tas, I hope your day gets better or at least less hellish.
raburrell, I very much agree with you.

I don't understand the weather here, either. Weather report says it will be cold enough for snow, so I'm hoping for snow (after I do all of my driving for the holiday). Last winter was barely a winter, this winter has been disturbingly warm, but two winters ago we had three feet of snow over night. It shut down the city. It was pretty fun, actually. Does it make me a jerk that I want that again? It helps that I have to work, whether or not I can physically leave my house.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back. I had a medical appointment this morning, and got done just in time to sit in traffic or head the other way toward home. Anyone care to guess which way I headed? Plus, good luck finding a parking space at work - they have one space for every 7 employees. You're pretty much out of luck if you don't get there by 6:45. I figure I'll wait until lunch time and head in - no traffic, with a slim prospect of snagging a space from someone heading out for lunch.

I forgot to mention I headed straight to the hospital from the airport after I landed for a brain scan. No emergency, just a standard appointment. The MRI appointments are primo and go around the clock. I needed the MRI done before my appointment this morning, and I was "lucky" enough to snare a 4 am appointment the night I returned from Australia. I decided to head right in instead of heading home for a few hours of sleep and a 3 am wakeup and it paid off - they got me in at 1 am. But the darn thing took over an hour. Luckily, I found lying inside the MRI machine quite cozy and I fell asleep. The tech had to wake me because I started twitching, so pfffft on catching a few wink-eyes during the process.

Oh, the MRI was for my loss of hearing, pretty drastic on my left side and they were looking for tumors. (Eh - what did you say, Sonny?) The good news is no tumors, but the bad news is they found lesions on both frontal lobes, the area of the brain that control inhibitions. (I bet you're thinking - I knew it! I always thought there was something wrong with that guy.) No idea what that is about, but as a result, neurology is up next.

Anyway - thanks for all the Welcome backs, and back to catching up.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Rick - Why do you DO that? Just dump TONS of important info on us all at once! *brain melt* Hope your test results come back ok.

I'm trying to have a better day. I'm feeling pretty good about where I stand on the things I CAN control. It's the stuff I can't control that feels like a tilt-a-whirl after about seventeen corn dogs. Bleh.

Also, Damsel's Christmas deal today (she's not posting it til later, apparently) will be hooded elf vests. Depending on how they look (and what colors they're in), I may get one for kiddo, I bet she'd love it.

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
((RICK)) my husband has lesions on the front lobes. He has memory issues and impulse control problems. HOWEVER, there are ways to deal with it that aren't intrusive.

I'LL BE AT RT IN KC ALSO. We must have a Purgy meet up. Houndie will be there too!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to RAB and Tas but most especially Rick.

Rick does not seem to have memory problems -- he's our master recapper! Inhibitions -- I don't know. He's been putting his characters through all kinds of whatnots. Hugs that it's nothing and Rick had inhibitions to spare.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Rick, glad you are tumor-free. Sounds like you do much better in MRI machines than I do. Hopefully the lesions will not cause any serious problems.

Ever see the US remake of Touching Evil?
I really liked this show! I wish it was released on DVD or Netflix or something.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Eep, Rick - all that sounds highly un-fun. And we only wonder about you in the best possible ways. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so here's what I have so far:

RT Attendance list

Me
Blond
Dawn
Houndie
Caleb (bar-conning)
Red (con or just bar-conning it?)

As the local native, is there anything you guys wanna do/see that I could help arrange? I'm on a panel at the con at 10 on Thursday morning (please, someone come to this so I don't feel stupid), and the big signing on Saturday, but other than that, my attendance is optional, so I can easily play tour guide if you want.

(though, in all fairness, Caleb is better at it. He knows cooler places, he just gets lost easily. ;) )

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a panel too, but don't know when, and doing the Saturday and Thursday (?) signings. Last year at RT, we mostly hung out in the bar in the evening. It was soooo much fun :D

My DH may be coming with me. Last year, he was assualted by a bunch of more mature women with pink hair in the elevator who kept squeling about there being a "boy" here. He was sooooo uncomfortable - lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.