• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I think she'd probably be able to read it. There's a bit of gross-ness in it, but also a lot of adventure and Greek mythology.

I usually use Harry Potter as the benchmark. If she can read early HP's, like books 1-3, she can probably read this. I don't use a lot of big words, and my stuff is pretty easy to reas. If she's still reading mostly chapter books, probably not, just because the chapters and book are way longer than chapter books. But still shorter than Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

But YOU'D probably like it, JC. It's rather exciting. I've found adults usually enjoy my books as much as kids. My editor loves it.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Christine ... I'll put the CofZ on my to buy list. The story looks intrequing. Is the feb 08 release of the print or electronic version? I'll be purchasing the former.

Jersey Chick, Lols!

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
ebook Feb. 19.

Which, by my calculations, means print next December.

That's sort of the problem, I think, that is causing SP to refocus. Not enough people buying non-romance e-books. Not that I mind people waiting for print. I understand people want print.

I think I've decided to save up for a Sony reader. I just don't have room in my house for all the print books I want, and I hate throwing them away.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I think I may be the first victim to the changeover lol. I got my rejection today and I'm logging in at 74 days, according to Duotrope. It didn't quite fit into the romance genre or subgenres, which is why it was rejected, but the editor did had some nice things to say about it though:

I think you have a great voice and I think this story has definite potential. I’m confident that you’ll find a great home for it.
:) That's pretty cool, but I'm feeling kind of bummed because the book keeps getting rejected even though all the editors are saying the same thing as this one! Ack!

I'm off to cuddle with a good book and some ice cream because I hit a block shortly before getting this email. I think my subconscious felt it coming lol.

Crossing my fingers for everyone else who has a submission out! :Hug2:

Oh! And eta: I will definitely submit to them in the near future when I have a romance novel sub for them. I'm just waiting to hear back now on my anthology submission so they haven't gotten rid of me yet! ;):D

Last edited:

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm have a rejection too. Oh, and hate to break the news MissLadyRae, but I got exactly the same complement in exactly the same font and color. At least they were honest enough to say they did not read the full they requested, just felt that from the synopsis there wasn't any romantic thread in the story. Which is just, weird, since the story is built around a love story.

I emailed back, pointing this out. But truth be told, I get the impression they might be just clearing a back log of email by sending out rejections, and getting ready for the new year.

i mean, to request a full, and not even bother to read it, even though it conforms to their recently changed submission guidelines?

... okay, I'll stop being bitter now :)

Last edited:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

Man. Oh man oh man.

So the editor who had my novel loved it (hooray for successful revisions) but she is VERY disappointed not to be able to offer me a contract because of the policy changes. She even typed 'very' in all caps...

I am soooooo saaaaaaad.

I can resubmit if I add a romantic element. But I don't know if that's possible without substantially changing the story. And I'm not one to be all integrity and you-won't-change-one-word-of-my-darling. Just the opposite - I've revised happily, eagerly even, in many many cases. With this, though, I don't think it would be the story I meant to tell if I made those types of changes.

But I'm still considering it. Still thinking "if only I can find a way". Just goes to show how much I really, really wanted Samhain, huh?

:e2cry:

So sad. So very sad.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Oh guys, so sorry about the rejections. What a bummer.

Kiwi, i don't think that you're too far off the mark in thinking they might be indulging in a sweeping clearing of the decks.

swvaughn, It's just my opinion, but I’d think twice about restructuring your entire novel on such a vague promise. If it was good enough to interest Samhain in the first place it should get interest elsewhere. Even if you re-write the entire thing and manage to crow-bar a romance element into it, it's not necessarily a given that S will take it. You might end up making a comittee driven mish-mosh of what was once a sharp novel. But it's your call, do what you think is best for you and your novel.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I didn't think any of us would hear before next week and I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I have not heard about mine yet and today is twelve weeks. The notice I recieved when I submitted said it could take up to the twelve weeks so maybe I will hear something soon.

Jennifer Robins

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Oh guys, so sorry about the rejections. What a bummer.

Kiwi, i don't think that you're too far off the mark in thinking they might be indulging in a sweeping clearing of the decks.

swvaughn, It's just my opinion, but I’d think twice about restructuring your entire novel on such a vague promise. If it was good enough to interest Samhain in the first place it should get interest elsewhere. Even if you re-write the entire thing and manage to crow-bar a romance element into it, it's not necessarily a given that S will take it. You might end up making a comittee driven mish-mosh of what was once a sharp novel. But it's your call, do what you think is best for you and your novel.

Thanks, Gary. :)

Yeah, I know. This is not my only novel (I have at least six sitting around - one I'm in revisions for my agent). The one I sent to Samhain was the first in a series of six (four are completed) that my agent is not representing because it's not her genre, and it's older than the stuff she's working with.

Anyway, if I tried to incorporate a romantic element into this first one, it would have to spill over into the rest of the series, too. I don't think that will work...

Sigh. And here I was, sure I'd never develop any artistic integrity whatsoever. Guess I'll keep looking.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Which is just, weird, since the story is built around a love story. I emailed back, pointing this out.
Kiwi, just a friendly bit of advice to tuck into your hat; please avoid contacting an editor after receiving a rejection notice. A no is a no is a no. Rejections are invariably canned and won't address the individual shortcomings of your manuscript at all. Pointing out an editor's faults or oversights is unprofessional. You aren't going to change their mind, so move on.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Priceless, I absolutely agree with you, a no is always a no. But Samhain make a point of personalising their rejection slips, often commenting specifically on the work itself, or on the author's style. So in this case you can understand the urge to write back, as the notes seem so personally directed to the writer themselves.

( BTW, I have regularly written back with a thank you note when an editor/ agent/ publisher has said something kind about the work, and I have nearly always received a kind note back ... I've always left it at that though. )

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
priceless1, I absolutely agree with you. As a rule, take the rejection and move on. My experience with Samhain editors, however, hasn't been the status quo. I have never encountered editors so open and willing to engage prospective authors. They are just wonderful people, who take the time, when they really don't have to. It speaks volumes about the ethics of this company, imho.

Here's how I was treated when I wrote back after the rejection:

" ... I’m (editor in question) terribly sorry this change in editorial policy affects your submission. I know it must be frustrating for you. Samhain is still planning to publish fantasy with romantic elements, however, so if your book does include a romance of some sort – by all means, feel free to resubmit it with that element clearly explained in the query and synopsis. You could either send it back to that editor, or to the general submissions address."

I can understand why they were voted Pred. and Eds. best publisher in 06 and likely 07 as well, I suspect (results still pending I believe).

Full marks for this publisher in my opinion.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I have to agree. My first rejection of Crown of Zeus was wonderfully detailed and encouraging. She asked to see a rewrite.

And now...sigh. Well, there is some good news. I've spoken with Crissy Brashear and she assured me she wouldn't have a problem finishing a series, if I choose to submit and the editor will sign the books. They won't contract any new YA books in the meantime, but since I'm already there, I get a chance. My editor and I are already conspiring on how to best promote the books to give them a bit of a push. I think mine are the first YA fantasy anyway, which has a different audience than mainstream. We may do well anyway.

By the time I'm finished writing the rest of the series, SP may be back to publishing everything again anyway. We'll see.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
swvaughan, ah artistic integrity. I curse it each time I button on my plastic name tag and tie my hair in a net :0)

Ditto. Only we don't have to wear hair nets any more - and we've gotten rid of the paper hats, too. I am pathetically grateful for small favors. :)

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I still have not heard from Samhain about the MS I sent then back in Oct 4th so I sent them an email and waiting for a reply.
But, I had another MS with Wild Rose and that one has been accepted. They want some revisions which I am in the process of doing.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Jennifer! Welcome to the rose garden! :)