Removing smell of cat urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Used paper towel to soak up any excess. Then a solution of white vinegar and warm water. Scrub in gently with a brush. More paper towel and then leave to dry. If the odour persists use baking soda until it is dry then vaccum. Spray the area with fabreeze or a great product for urine is SCOE 10X.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
In terms of litter tray, we line with newspaper and then tip some dry compost in. For preference it comes out of pots - as in we grow tomatoes in pots over the summer in the greenhouse, leave pots in there to dry out, then use them one at a time over the winter.
The resulting contents going into plastic sacks out the back of the house and when the contents have rotted down a bit we re-use the reinvigorated compost. We do avoid using it for root crops, even when well rotted. Use it for trees, flowers and plants like tomatoes.

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, I have scoured the internet for this one, and every board and thread is full of conflicting info.

Basically, small kitten peed on the carpet - carpet now smells very strongly of cat pee. I disinfected teh carpet straight away, and went over it with the carpet steamer. the smell still lingers. :(

Is there any way to get the smell out without having to resort to a new carpet?

What do you need for your story?

And, since it doesn't sound like you're actually researching a story, what did Google find you?

Jeff

I'm confused. I thought this was story research. It doesn't sound like anybody here is writing anything. Just trading excrement removal tips. This book was written already by Consumer's Guide. "10,000 Practical Hints & Tips for the Home."

Wanders away in holiday confusion...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
We buy it online, or at Pets At Home, or at other pet shops. Do you have a PAH where you are?

If you use strong-smelling cleaners like vinegar the cat might find it so objectionable that it tries to cover it up by peeing on it. So be careful what you use.

It hasn't happened since, ad the zoflora seems to have done the trick so far.

Another pee-related tip: I use Ikea plastic storage boxes for cat litter trays. I buy the biggest and deepest they have, which I think is the Samla 60 litre size; and then I cut a hole in one of the sides, about six inches up from the bottom of the box, and there you go.

They have lids, which you can leave off if your cats don't like to be too enclosed; they're a milky transluscent plastic so they're scrubbable and easy to clean, the cats get some light so can easily see what they're doing while having some degree of privacy, and they're very cheap compared to cat boxes of the same size. They just about fit into our bath, so I can clean them without too much trouble.

Thats a really good idea. It would certaily keep the place tidier too.

I'm using a gel litter at the minute which is brilliant. I used to use a paper based one, but then we got a new dog and she took to eating it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our daughter does the same thing as Old Hack, using a larger translucent bin with a hole cut into it for her cat's easy access, and inside it, the much smaller litter box. All scattered litter stays inside the bin. Eventually the bin may have odor imbedded in its plastic, at which time she throws it out or finds a purpose where it won't matter (storing firewood) and buys a new one.

Maryn, who's got The Kid at hand

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
One other thing - if you do think you've managed to clean all off, but cat keeps returning, then a lemon scented something (whatever you can find that is cat safe) can work as repelling as they don't like citrus. Also a noisy motion sensor if it is a corner - cat steps into "the zone" - BEE BOOP BEE BOOP. We had one determined to use the pot around a large indoor plant. Would balance awkwardly to use it, the madam - plenty of alternatives, both cat flap and a good tray. A couple of weeks of lemon smell and noise and she got out of the habit.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Inappropriate toiletting by cats can often be a sign of stress, though, so lemon-scented deterrents and noisy things will often increase the problem rather than resolve it. Best to clean up thoroughly, work out why they're doing it, and to reassure your cats that all is well.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
My cat peed on a sofa cushion once as she was recovering from an operation (curtain climbing mishap resulted in a toe so badly dislocated/torn it required amputation). I think the pain meds may have been too strong, but anyway... I was prepared to have the sofa put out on the street for disposal, but my Russian cleaning lady, who bullies me into doing things her way most of the time (because I'm slovenly, and because she's a genius about fixing stuff so nothing ever needs to be thrown away), said it would be "evil and so stupid" to discard the sofa, so she took off the peed-upon cushion, put it in the tub, and doused that thing with bottle after bottle of plain white vinegar. No rinsing, just saturation with white vinegar for a day. Then she left the cushion in a sunny window for a week.

The cushion smelled of salad dressing for a week or so, but no cat pee smell at all.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Inappropriate toiletting by cats can often be a sign of stress, though, so lemon-scented deterrents and noisy things will often increase the problem rather than resolve it. Best to clean up thoroughly, work out why they're doing it, and to reassure your cats that all is well.

Agreed. It was the last resort after we'd done all the things you've said. We've had various cats, mostly rescue, down the years, and you do need to understand why they do things and adjust the world for them. This particular cat was the most determined, "my way or no way" cat I've ever met. Only one we've ever used the lemon gel and alarm on. As I said, it was off in one corner, so she wasn't triggering it all the time, just if she went to that corner.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
This zombie is four years old.

Also, MDSchafer, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.