What would you like to see in Mainstream/Contemporary/Literary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

September

my word processor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see more weirdness, like a fantasy crossover kind of thing. I'd also love it if more contemporary novels had a gothic tinge to them.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I find it confusing to have Literary conjoined with Mainstream and Contemporary.

paul_in_arlington

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like the distance between commercial and literary fiction is greater than ever. The first follows formulas, and the second toys with the reader in order to appear 'edgy' (but often comes across as pointlessly obfuscatory).

Or am I imagining that, and this commercial/literary gap always great?

I wonder if the dire state of commercial publishing, the economics of the big publishing houses, have caused mainstream publishers to take fewer chances with literary fiction that might have some (though not great) commercial appeal.

That's what's happened in the music industry -- a small number of extremely lucrative (and packaged performers), followed by a lot of struggling indie bands.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Haruki Murakami has some pretty good literary fiction with magical realism thrown in. I don't know that I'd call it "unnecessary;" it's just what he does. It's his style. Worth reading. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.