Jed's Super-Dooper Baileys Pub for Newbies, Dragons, Saints & Sinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briony-zisaya

Punctuation and I don't get along
Registered
Reaction score
That would be so cool. But, alas, it's still Friday. And nuffin on tele.

Poor dragon must read or something now :tongue

I don't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched something on tv. Usually it's just on for background noise if it's on at all. I'm getting strange in my old age...

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Poor dragon must read or something now :tongue

I don't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched something on tv. Usually it's just on for background noise if it's on at all. I'm getting strange in my old age...
Hmm, read a book. Read a book? Reading. Like, an actual book? Err, I dunno. That sounds really hard.

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
...the deep, dark corner of my tragically tortured
I'm taking a quick cigarette break from writing, and I just thought I'd pop in to say hi. HI!

And my apologies about the profanity. I'm still adjusting somewhat--which is no excuse--and I was being a bit lax, causing me to fall into a habit from one of my other forums where we all use profanity regularly. I know better than to do so on other forums until I know it is permitted.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, read a book. Read a book? Reading. Like, an actual book? Err, I dunno. That sounds really hard.

I would think the hardest part for a dragon would be not breathing on it - would hate for it to go up in flames before you finish reading.

There are frogs that live in those drains who are probably reading your novel right now and loving it.

Frogs? Uh. . . the thing that crawled out of the hole where the commode used to be was definitely not a frog! Nope. No way. Not with the tail that thing had! :eek:

Whatever it was, though, I hope it's enjoying her novel.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Z. How have you been?

I'm so stuck on the problem, I can't see the solution. So things this Friday are very dreary.
As Jed mentioned earlier, maybe someone here can help with the problem. :)

I'm taking a quick cigarette break from writing, and I just thought I'd pop in to say hi. HI!
:hi:

Care for a...Mountain Dew, right?

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
*slides over a Mountain Dew*

So how's the writing coming along, if you don't mind me asking?

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Nah, I don't mind you asking at all. I've got about 2,000 words done on the last chapter; the chapters average out to 4- to 5,000 words. It's a fanfic right now, but I'm hoping to rewrite a few parts and try to do something with it. I want to post some of it here, but I have to be careful because it has multiple rape scenes in it.

Are you working on something right now?

And I love your "The Last Samuri" reference! It's one of my favorite movies!

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Great job with the word count. :) I'm not too sure about the rules concerning those type of scenes; maybe you could ask the mod of the forum you'll be posting in. I do know you need to have a disclaimer in the title of your thread in regards to violence, sex, etc.

As for me, I'm working on multiple projects at the moment. I'm editing one novel (fantasy) and working on another (also fantasy). Editing is driving me a bit nuts, and I'm having a bit of a block with the second novel, so I'm attempting a short story (dark humor).
And I love your "The Last Samuri" reference! It's one of my favorite movies!
Thanks. Mine, too. :)

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. But don't be too impressed; there's only nine chapters. The first eight come in at a total of just over 35,000 words. It'll be too short for a novel, so I don't know what to do with it.

According to the rules for the Erotica SYW, rape isn't allowed. If I want to get feedback, I might have to find people willing to read it via PM or something.

I don't mind editing too much. I used to do a lot of beta work for people, but I ended up with a bunch of readers that wnated my help; it just got to be too much, so I had to stop doing it. I still help a couple of close friends though. I don't know much about fantasy. I write M/M's.

I do love some dark humor! If you don't mind, what's it about?

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
If I want to get feedback, I might have to find people willing to read it via PM or something.
Here's an idea: After you reach 50 posts, maybe you could post some of your writing (the part of your writing that is allowed) in the SYW section. That way you could receive at least some feedback on your story.

Critiquing in SYW is also a great way to make friends and possibly find a critique partner you can share the rest of your work with.

It worked for me. :)

I do love some dark humor! If you don't mind, what's it about?
I was writing for this particular contest. But to be honest, I don't read much dark humor, so my story is sounding more like pure horror.

Wait, that didn't sound right.

Hey, if you're a fan of dark humor, maybe you might want to think about entering.

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an idea: After you reach 50 posts, maybe you could post some of your writing (the part of your writing that is allowed) in the SYW section. That way you could receive at least some feedback on your story.

Oh, I'm definately going to post some in the SYW forum. I don't want to get in trouble for asking people to read my work elsewhere, though. I saw a rule against it somewhere on the site. But that's a good idea.

Hey, if you're a fan of dark humor, maybe you might want to think about entering.

Oh, I love reading it, but I'm not sure I could write it. I'm not very good with humor. I write things that elicit empathy, horror, and suspense better. (It's really weird! Most of my readers are empathic towards my "villians." I've got several writer friends that tell me that's good, though. Supposedly that means I've written the character well. I think I've just given them a good enough sob story, hahaha!)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I think villains who elicit my sympathy are the very best characters. You're doing good if you're birthing those sorts.

Hey, folks, I have a beginner dummy question for anyone who will be so kind as to help me out.

I am totally stumped at trying to learn how to make links like you just did, L.Y., with the contest thread? In other words, I have not been able to snag the correct HTML tags to do that, or else I put the wrong stuff inside the tags, or else I use brackets where I ought to use < > or... I dunno?

So, how do you do that here? (I did a test one on a page for learning HTML and tried to post my blog link that way and it totally didn't work.)

If there's a better place to ask this, just shoo me out the door and point me in the right direction?

Either way, I'll buy the drinks! :D

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I can help you. You do this:

[*url=(enter your url here)](enter the text you want people to see here)[*/url]

Remove the *'s, and you'll have a nifty link! This site uses BBcodes, not HTML. (I'm a mod on a site that uses the same server this site uses.)

------edit------
Oh, and thanks! I really don't understand why people like my bad guys.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, have a Mountain Dew on me. I'll have, lessee, whadoo I really want now?

Oh, a Bailey's! That's just the ticket!

And, whatever that guy over in the dark corner's drinkin, set him up to. Or, I will......

drinking-42.gif

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Why, thanks! You should do that to your signature for your blog. *wink* (Just put the BBcodes around what you already have; it will show your blog title as you have it now but as a link too.) :)

I'm totally supposed to be writing right now...

Last edited:

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
If there's a better place to ask this, just shoo me out the door and point me in the right direction?
You're always welcome to ask questions here. :) Pubbers are always willing to help (as Miz Erie so kindly did--Thanks!). At the very least, we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Oh, and thanks! I really don't understand why people like my bad guys.
Maybe it's because you write complex and interesting characters. :)

I'm out, so I'll grab another round for the two of you--on the house. Have fun! :hi:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now my signature is all up to par, just like you younguns do it.

I hope!

(this is a test)

Aaaaaand, it worked! Thanks again Miz Erie.

MirandaWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm happy to report I had a nap. This means my cranky little temper-tantrum has dissipated... for now!

Here is my "problem." Last April, I was at this really strange place in my life. Everything was monotonous, lackluster even. I had been reading so much, that I started to fall into that "why can't my life be this interesting," sort of place. So... then I pick up this series of books, and I kept thinking... oh my goodness. I could write this. It wasn't that great of a book, yet somehow, this person had managed to get it published. Then I picked up another series of shorts that gave me the same feeling.
I'm the type of person sets her mind to do something, and I push through it and make it happen. Unless I get overwhelmed and then that's a whole different issue.
Moving on. I wake up one day, and decide I'm just going to do it. I literally outlined the whole book and wrote 2 chapters that day. Being a mom of 3, it's hard to find time to write, but I had managed to write around 65,000 words in a month and I had never written in this context before.
Originally it became and escape for me. A place to go and create and control everything. Then, I had to figure out what I was going to do with this fabulous escape from reality once I was done with it.
A lot of things happen in life in the interim and I have to set my book to the side for several months. January first comes around and I decide "Okay, 2013. Bring it on, because I am going to finish that darn book." I write a ton. Happy, happy... joy, joy.
ENTER AW....
"You can't start a book with a dream." "It's just cliche to introduce your character in a reflection." "Seriously? Another vampire book? Those things are so over done. Nothing new."
Tear, tear... cry, cry. I thought it was amazing and apparently there are all these unwritten rules. I give up. Writing is just not for me.
INSERT NAP...
Okay, Miranda. Why did you start writing? For the escape. For the pleasure. For the accomplishment. Oh yeah. SO what do the rules matter? They don't. I'm gonna go fish my book, out of that frog with a tails mouth, hang it out to dry, and be damn proud of the work that I put into it, breaking all the rules and loving every minute of it.

The END. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome!

And, about those rules? You know what they say, that rules are meant to be broken. Maybe they're meant to be broken so we can learn how and why to follow them, but it is one excellent way to learn that.

So, maybe you will end up having to rewrite stuff, and maybe more than once, and even maybe, just maybe, there's another book and another one in there after this one......

But whatever ends up happening, don't underestimate what you've accomplished. I bow to anyone who writes book length stuff whatever it is, however bad or good or published or trunked it is. The sustaining of creative focus alone is awesome. I aspire to this, maybe, one day, but as of now I can only do short stints.

Truly it is a wonderful thing to be able to do, to write a book, at all.

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now my signature is all up to par, just like you younguns do it.

I hope!

(this is a test)

Aaaaaand, it worked! Thanks again Miz Erie.

Really, you're very welcome, my dear! And I'm not so much a "youngun" myself! I've just been on forums for years, so I now write with BBcodes as if it were natural to do so.

ENTER AW....
"You can't start a book with a dream." "It's just cliche to introduce your character in a reflection." "Seriously? Another vampire book? Those things are so over done. Nothing new."
Tear, tear... cry, cry. I thought it was amazing and apparently there are all these unwritten rules. I give up. Writing is just not for me.
INSERT NAP...
Okay, Miranda. Why did you start writing? For the escape. For the pleasure. For the accomplishment. Oh yeah. SO what do the rules matter? They don't. I'm gonna go fish my book, out of that frog with a tails mouth, hang it out to dry, and be damn proud of the work that I put into it, breaking all the rules and loving every minute of it.

The END. :)

First of all, I think vampires are timeless. People have been writing about vampires for centuries. Unless you are doing the "Twilight" shimmering ones, I don't think your book is going to fall under "over done."

Secondly, I personally don't care what unwritten rules there are. I write to please myself; if you don't like what I write, don't read it. I know what I write has a very small target audience, but I love what I do. And apparently other people love what I do because I already have a following with many people eagerly awaiting my first published book and all I've posted so far has been fanfiction.

Thirdly, good for you! Don't let criticism stop you! You have to take what you can from it and improve. I struggle when people say negative things about my writing too, so I know how you felt. But if you can step away just a little, listening to what they say objectively and logically, it will help you write so much better!

If you ever need someone to rant to or need an ego stroking, you are always welcome to PM me! Sometimes we all need a good shoulder to cry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.