Literary journals submissions by theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

boganmobile

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know where literary journal submissions are open by theme?

I am aware of duotrope and that they have a calender section. But it is not very comprehensive.

Many thanks

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I am understanding you correctly, I am not sure that there is a resource that lists the journals by theme. All of the journals that I am aware of that use themes choose a new one for each issue.

In that case, you would have to pick some journals and look to see what theme they chose for that issue. That's to the best of my knowledge, anyway. If there is a resource that sorts them by theme then I don't know about it.

boganmobile

Registered
Reaction score
All of the journals that I am aware of that use themes choose a new one for each issue.

QUOTE]

Thanks. Is there a list of journals that advertise what their new theme is for each issue?

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I know of. You'll just have to pick a journal you like and see if they are doing themes.

An example: http://www.amoskeagjournal.com/index.php?p=2

If you have a Writer's Market, just go down the list. Actually, I don't have mine right in front of me, but I think the Writer's Market may tell you if the journal uses themes for their issues but I don't think it tells you what the theme is.

Can anyone verify that? If not I'll look when I get home from work in eight hours.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to pay a subscription fee to view it online. Google and see. But it should be available free of charge in your local library's reference section.

I just scanned the entries in my 2012 edition, because there were a lot. Using Amoskeag as an example, "Magazine has revolving editor and uses occasional themes (see website)." I didn't find any more, but I suspect that if a journal does use a theme, the Writer's Market would at least let you know.

That doesn't help you with finding a resource that lists them all, but I guess it's better than nothing. I did a quick Google search and I couldn't find anything that specifically listed that.

Hope that helps.

boganmobile

Registered
Reaction score
Hey thanks. That's helpful.

Has anyone else seen or found submissions listed by theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.