Can anybody make sense of this Amazon response?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
One of my publishers can place my books on Pre-order with Amazon.com. The other publisher says it cannot because it does not meet 'the criteria'. So I wrote to Amazon to ask them why my publisher cannot put my soon-to-be released novel on Pre-order. (Yes, I asked my publisher and they said they didn't have a clue, that the only answer they get is something about Amazon saying it isn't possible on KDP). Which boggles my brain because...isn't KDP for self-publishing, not e-publishers or trad publishers? I'm confused. anyhoo, here's the e-mail I received from Amazon, which if somebody can help me to interpret, I'd be much obliged. I'm wondering, if my small publisher is on KDP, then what does it need to be on in order to have its books available on Pre-Order, like my other publisher does?

Hello,

I understand that you'd like to list your book for pre-order.

At this time our system prevents us from making the book available for pre-order before its release date on our website. However, I recommend discussing this request with your publisher or distributor. They can work with their representatives at Amazon in order to set this up for you.

I'm sorry we're unable to carry out your request, but I hope this information is helpful to you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well it sounds like it's something on the publisher's side. Maybe their account isn't set up that way with Amazon. Don't they have to pay a certain percentage to Amazon for having their books on the site? Not sure what publisher you have but it's the terms between them and Amazon, not your book in particular. Does your publisher have any pre-orders set up on Amazon?

Sounds like there's certain guidelines for everything that has to do with Amazon. And they're always changing the rules up there too which doesn't help.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin Carina Press is the publisher that can place my books on pre-order; Secret Cravings Publishing the one that cannot. I know it's not to do with my book specifically, but Amazon seemed to take my general query as such. SCP says they haven't got a clue...so I don't either and now I'm afraid that I never will, really, if it has to do with the publisher agreement with Amazon. I'm going to ask SCP and see if they answer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for your response and attempt to help! :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I suspect, and it's just my take that your smaller publisher isn't really a "publisher" as much as a company using Amazon's resources to print and distribute their titles - which means they do fall under the KDP rules as if you had self-published it yourself.

Just my take.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh* Well, if that's the case then it kinda sucks, though I have no complaints about SCP so far in other areas. But I wonder even more now what makes a 'publisher' a 'publisher'. Secret Cravings does several rounds of edits, proof reading, provides professional cover art etc, just like the bigger publishers, so what is the criteria then? If it's publishing books on the KDP then how can it publish on Amazon's other 'real publisher' programmes. What are they and how do you find out their guidelines? The mind boggles! I am newbie to all of this and did not realise there was such a distinction, thanks!

Dana_Queen

Banned
Reaction score
*Sigh* Well, if that's the case then it kinda sucks, though I have no complaints about SCP so far in other areas. But I wonder even more now what makes a 'publisher' a 'publisher'. Secret Cravings does several rounds of edits, proof reading, provides professional cover art etc, just like the bigger publishers, so what is the criteria then? If it's publishing books on the KDP then how can it publish on Amazon's other 'real publisher' programmes. What are they and how do you find out their guidelines? The mind boggles! I am newbie to all of this and did not realise there was such a distinction, thanks!

The new publisher doesn't know how yet to get their titles on pre-sales. There's a learning curve, they are still on the upswing.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Some small publishers use KDP because if books are selling at certain price points they get a bigger cut than they would if they went through traditional channels. The flip side of this is that they don't get access to the tools traditional channels have, and that they're tied to Amazon.

Personally, I don't like publishers that use self-publishing programs, precisely for reasons like this. It limits their ability to market your book prior to release. However, if they've done thorough edits, provided you with a professional cover, and marketed your book well, then they're doing the publisher's share of the work and earning their cut, at least.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Some small publishers use KDP because if books are selling at certain price points they get a bigger cut than they would if they went through traditional channels. The flip side of this is that they don't get access to the tools traditional channels have, and that they're tied to Amazon.

Personally, I don't like publishers that use self-publishing programs, precisely for reasons like this. It limits their ability to market your book prior to release. However, if they've done thorough edits, provided you with a professional cover, and marketed your book well, then they're doing the publisher's share of the work and earning their cut, at least.

Thanks, good to know for future reference. I'm learning something new about this business everyday. I *think* SCP are doing everything they can to market and prepare my book for sale, but I won't know for sure how effective they are until the book is out. I do think they're earning their cut as publishers: they do several rounds of edits, a copy edit and proof reading round. The cover art on my book is super!I've had a few niggles, but every time they've been addressed and answered professionally. I don't regret signing on that line, however, I would have liked to have known about their KDP status on Amazon.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Basically Amazon cannot disclose to your what practices by the press are the issue -- as they must assume commercial info to be private. The publisher can work this out if they are persistent, but for you to do it you would need to be designated their representative

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Veinglory, what you say certainly marries with the e-mail they sent to me! I guess I'll never know, but I am armed with more 'savvy' (fingers crossed!) and will carefully consider such issues when I am next ready to submit another book under that pen name. Thanks!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...so what is the criteria then?
The criteria is simple. It's their contract with Amazon. Publishers have reps at Amazon who can arrange just about anything for any publisher and get them in any program they want. It's your publisher's responsibility to do this, not Amazon's.

Bottom line is that your publisher either doesn't know how to work with Amazon (Not uncommon for small publishers) or they do not want to have the option for pre-orders due to some other contractual choices. Usually money.

Jeff