So, I bought a guitar...now what?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Don't know what possessed me since, up to now, I've shown all the musical proclivity of the average house brick, but I went browsing eBay and picked myself up a nice-ish acoustic guitar for thirty quid. Which is not a bad deal.
I've been pootling around the web, trying to find tutorials/lessons on how to play the thing. I've had some succes - found a nifty app for my iPad that's in the form of a game, using the mic to listen to you play - and it's going quite well so far. Also have a beginner's book, which I haven't really dug into yet.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice, or good sites for n00bs, or even just some encouragement since I'm still very much finding my feet and having to convince myself not to give up almost every time I pick the thing up. :tongue

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, are you lucky I checked new messages this morning! I'll save you a lot of learning time by directing you to justinguitar.com He is never wrong about anything, his lessons are free unless you're moved to make a donation, and he's a clear video teacher, the best out there. Click Lesson Index on the left, then "BC," and start linking to vids.

Enjoy the guitar!

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of good tutorials on youtube - think of songs you like, and look up how to play them.

There are some songs that are very easy for beginners - something like "Come as you are" by Nirvana, is a very simple and satisfying melody line to play.

Or just practice a few chords - on a normally tuned guitar, Eminor is dirt simple for eg, as is Amajor.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Learn scales, learn chords, learn notation. Then find a acoustic song you've always liked and get the sheet music for it. Start practicing.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Take some lessons.

Real lessons, from a real person. If you are already reasonably competent at guitar, you can learn a lot online and from books. As a beginner, an actual instructor is essential.

Think you could learn tennis from online videos?

I've been playing for years, and am in a pretty good band. But I was entirely self taught, and as a resul I picked up some bad habits that limit me to this day.

Later on, I got rid of some of them with the help of some great teachers, but my progress would have been many times faster if I'd started out with a teacher.

It's hard to make a living at music, so many excellent players also teach. You don't need a master of the craft to teach you the basics and steer you in the right direction, so lessons can be quite affordable.

It will also help you to keep at it -- guitar can be a very frustrating instrument at first. (And later on, but in a different way.)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second the recommendation for the beginner's course on justinguitar.com - it's superb. There's a lot of information on his site for free, but I think it would be worth it for you to buy his Beginner's Songbook to work with alongside the lessons, as well as his Music Theory guide.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Play as much as you can, even when your fingers hurt. Especially when they hurt. They will stop hurting eventually. Be prepared for weird blistery things as the skin sheds off your fingertips, and extra pain when you play through them. That's good; it means you're developing calluses.

If you have no job and / or live on your own, carry the thing around with you everywhere. Sit it on your lap when you watch TV, noodle along to whatever's on. Play in between reading posts on AW. Try to find at least one new sound every day - tapping, scraping, banging, tweaking bits that ain't meant to be tweaked. This is all about getting comfortable with the instrument and not being afraid of it. Playing isn't a performance every time.

Do watch videos, but don't get caught up on technique. There are as many techniques for playing guitar as there are ways to write a novel. Whichever works for you, works for you. I'd recommend buying a tab book for one of your favourite albums and using that as a practice aid. There's nothing better than learning to play songs you love. Mine was The Bends, which has a great mix of easy-to-learn chords and more complicated melody lines.

Above all - have fun. :)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh my gosh, are you lucky I checked new messages this morning! I'll save you a lot of learning time by directing you to justinguitar.com He is never wrong about anything, his lessons are free unless you're moved to make a donation, and he's a clear video teacher, the best out there. Click Lesson Index on the left, then "BC," and start linking to vids.

Enjoy the guitar!

I'll second the recommendation for the beginner's course on justinguitar.com - it's superb. There's a lot of information on his site for free, but I think it would be worth it for you to buy his Beginner's Songbook to work with alongside the lessons, as well as his Music Theory guide.
Thanks, I'll check it out. The sheer volume of guitar videos on youtube makes it daunting trying to pick out the good ones. Any and all recommendations very welcome and appreciated.
Take some lessons.

Real lessons, from a real person. If you are already reasonably competent at guitar, you can learn a lot online and from books. As a beginner, an actual instructor is essential.
Not that cheap though. Not that I'm especially struggling for cash, but there are other things that take priority.
And, hey, Jimi Hendrix did alright with teaching himself, didn't he? ;)

Thanks for the advice and links everyone!

Play as much as you can, even when your fingers hurt. Especially when they hurt. They will stop hurting eventually. Be prepared for weird blistery things as the skin sheds off your fingertips, and extra pain when you play through them. That's good; it means you're developing calluses.

If you have no job and / or live on your own, carry the thing around with you everywhere. Sit it on your lap when you watch TV, noodle along to whatever's on. Play in between reading posts on AW. Try to find at least one new sound every day - tapping, scraping, banging, tweaking bits that ain't meant to be tweaked. This is all about getting comfortable with the instrument and not being afraid of it. Playing isn't a performance every time.

Do watch videos, but don't get caught up on technique. There are as many techniques for playing guitar as there are ways to write a novel. Whichever works for you, works for you. I'd recommend buying a tab book for one of your favourite albums and using that as a practice aid. There's nothing better than learning to play songs you love. Mine was The Bends, which has a great mix of easy-to-learn chords and more complicated melody lines.

Above all - have fun. :)
I do live on my own, so I might try that. Already losing feeling in the tips of my fingers :tongue

Thanks everyone for the advice. As I mentioned, I've never been especially musical, so it's pretty daunting at the moment.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone wanna buy a guitar? >.<

Hehe :)

obviousreply_zps2e96150d.jpg

Obvious, but true. :)

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
I second what rugcat said about taking lessons from a real person. Bad habits can lead to repetitive stress injuries over the years. Learning guitar is like learning anything else. It can be hard work in the beginning. Don't get discouraged. Once you get going and the music starts flowing through you it's a wondrous feeling. And another plus (for the guys anyway): Recent scientific studies have shown that women tend to find men holding guitars to be more attractive.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
So I should walk around with my guitar whenever I leave the house?

*takes notes*
Yes.

But only if you can play it.

Men who play guitar are sexy. Men who can sing while they play guitar are twice as sexy. When I discover a guy I previously thought was somewhat average can play and sing at the same time, his hotness rating goes up. Like NikiK said, it's pure science that is.

If you get a couple of girls around a campfire and you're the only guy around with a guitar and the lyrics/chords to a Mumford and Sons song, you'll be beating them away by the end of the night. I've seen it in action. Unfortunately, he already had a girlfriend.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Men who play guitar are sexy. Men who can sing while they play guitar are twice as sexy. When I discover a guy I previously thought was somewhat average can play and sing at the same time, his hotness rating goes up. Like NikiK said, it's pure science that is.

Do you have to be able to do it well?

My playing's decent enough, but I've had...not-compliments...about my singing. :(

If you get a couple of girls around a campfire and you're the only guy around with a guitar and the lyrics/chords to a Mumford and Sons song, you'll be beating them away by the end of the night.

I've tried it before, and it's never worked for me.

I'm calling bullshit.

...doesn't help that if you're college, everyone plays guitar, and there's always someone better than you. Maybe it works for boys still in high school, but after that it gets old really fast, unless you're ridiculously amazing.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing for years, and am in a pretty good band. But I was entirely self taught, and as a resul I picked up some bad habits that limit me to this day.

What are they? I'm entirely self-taught, so I wonder what my bad habits are...

Is being incredibly out-of-practice considered a bad habit?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, I'm curious as to how well, exactly, I have to be able to play. :tongue

One problem I foresee is that I don't know any songs... I just play what comes to mind, in the hopes of learning enough different things about my playing style to write my own songs (still working on that, I wouldn't recommend it). So yeah...

I'm better at the organ, actually, but that's a bit heavier to lug around than a guitar. :tongue

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Do you have to be able to do it well?

My playing's decent enough, but I've had...not-compliments...about my singing. :(
Yes. That's kind of the point.
I've tried it before, and it's never worked for me.

I'm calling bullshit.

...doesn't help that if you're college, everyone plays guitar, and there's always someone better than you. Maybe it works for boys still in high school, but after that it gets old really fast, unless you're ridiculously amazing.
You also have to remember where I live. And singing is a crucial part of this.

But I think you were doing it wrong. These guys were good. I don't count knowing three chords and a walk down as "good." ;)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I should have mentioned, it hurts at first. Just bull through the pain until your nerve endings flee back up your fingers and the callouses develop.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is just my personal experience, and YMMV: When I first began playing, I could only practice for a couple of minutes at a time on a steel string acoustic before the pain in my fingertips became too much. I switched to a classic guitar, with nylon strings. I built up slowly, an extra minute or so each day, and used to dab some surgical spirit onto my fingertips before practicing during the first month or so. I know some players do the Summer of '69 (play until their fingers bleed), but it's not the only way to do it. Adjust how hard you're pressing your fingers down on the strings and learn the minimum pressure needed to get the note to ring out clearly. Your skin will toughen up without damage. I play classic, steel string and electric guitars now with no trouble, and have no callouses, no nerve damage that I know of, no worn-away fingerprints, etc. Try to be aware of your posture, relax your jaw (or anything else that tenses up when you're concentrating), don't crane your neck too much, and warm up your hands and forearms with some stretches before you start. Mentally, I've always just assumed that I can do anything I want on the guitar, and that the next practice of it will be the one where it 'clicks'. It means I'm looking forward to it inevitably happening, rather than becoming frustrated that I can't do it. As I said, YMMV; for me, being relaxed and positive keeps it all fun and exciting.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Take lessons - if only to find out how to tune your instrument. I had a neighbour who was self taught and could play many tunes - but his guitar was never in tune and it was painful to listen to him. He also sang - completely off key.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Take lessons - if only to find out how to tune your instrument. I had a neighbour who was self taught and could play many tunes - but his guitar was never in tune and it was painful to listen to him. He also sang - completely off key.
This is the 21st century - I have a tuner on my iPad. ;)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
This is just my personal experience, and YMMV: When I first began playing, I could only practice for a couple of minutes at a time on a steel string acoustic before the pain in my fingertips became too much. I switched to a classic guitar, with nylon strings. I built up slowly, an extra minute or so each day, and used to dab some surgical spirit onto my fingertips before practicing during the first month or so.

I still play a classical rather than an acoustic. It does feel like cheating, especially since I've been playing for 20 years, but I love the sound.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I love the sound, too. :) It's my favourite of the three to play. I like hair metal on the electric, and the steel string has a lovely bright sound, but my passion is focused on fingerstyle on the classical guitar. I love Spanish and Indian sounds. At the moment, I'm practicing the quick strum, hit technique that Gabriela uses in Tamacun. (She explains her method here.)