Amazon, iTunes - Possibly stupid question.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I hope this is a good place for this question. Now - I've never downloaded music from Amazon or iTunes before. I've always been a CD person. However - I've come across a band that I adore, but which only has downloadable music and no CDs. (Frantic Amber, if you're interested in metal. :))

So, I want to buy the songs, naturally, but I'm a little curious about something which might be a dumb question.

With Amazon and iTunes, if I download music from them, is it on my computer, or in some sort of cloud only accessible by using a program (such as iTunes) to listen to the music?

I very much want it to be ON my computer, so I can do whatever I like with it and to not be limited to a certain program. I'm pretty sure it will be - but I wasn't certain, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance. :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It's both. It's on your computer, and then on whatever devices you sync with your computer - but say your computer dies and you need to get the files again, you just download them again from iTunes at no extra cost*.

There are apps in development that stream directly from your iTunes account, but for now the actual files are what you're buying and downloading.

As an aside, I tend to avoid purchasing from Amazon's MP3 service because the quality always used to be horrendous. I don't know if they've changed it recently, but as I'm now firmly locked into iTunes I don't look there any more.

*: there are t&cs around how this works and how many times you can do it. It's basically an emergency measure.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hrmph. So I got a message from Amazon when I tried to download the mp3s, saying that the mp3 download service is only available in the US.

WTF? It's a digital file, mp3 is readable in every country, why can I not spend money on this?!

Guess I'll have to check if the songs are available on iTunes, though this will mean creating an account with iTunes... *sigh*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Will I have the same problem with iTunes, do you think? I had a look around the iTunes shop, and the album is there (more expensive than on Amazon, of course... Boo! Hiss!) but it asked me to create an Apple ID to be able to buy it, and I was too fed up to bother at that time.

So, I don't want to create an Apple ID if it turns out I still won't be able to download the music, y'know?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well, an Apple ID isn't a big thing. And you can change it later, if you like. My husband uses PCs and, um, what are those non iPhone smartphones called? I forget ... need more coffee ... :e2coffee:

Anyway, he's not an Apple guy and yet he probably has an Apple ID, because he uses iTunes.

An Apple ID is just an account you're creating, so you can buy stuff. That's all. Like an Amazon account.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's the principle of the thing. :tongue Besides, the more accounts I have, the more junk mail I get.

Eh, I'm just being stubborn.

Actually, I noticed a rep comment after posting in here, to the effect of possibly getting in contact with the band to find out if there's any way I can buy their music in Australia. Sounds like a decent plan to me. :)