What are you reading?

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished When the Sleeper Wakes by HG Wells and now I'm trudging through The Two Towers by JRR Tolkein. It's going pretty slowly and it's a tough read, but I'm determined to get through the entire trilogy by the end of the summer!

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith. An excellent novel. I was actually a bit sad that it ended. Anyways, I really liked it and plan to read much more of Smith in the future.

Next up: Strong Motion by Jonathan Franzen.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Saskatchewan--David Smith. I have to read it in bursts--like a verbal pyrotechnic display. It is kind of like a three-way between Faulkner, Willa Cather and Dylan Thomas--weird but definitely interesting--s6

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I just finished reading Shutter Island. While Lehane is a fine writer, this is probably one of the first books I absoutely hated but couldn't put down. I thought the last chapter was pretty bad.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I'm torn on it, honestly. I see (and love) the brilliance of the writing, but it's really not my kind of novel.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
I, Zombie by Hugh Howey.

I hate this book for all the reasons that make it good. There is a warning to readers in the book description that I should have taken it more seriously.
The word 'meat' is repeated often in this book but used in ways it should never be. Also, 'Ropey' and 'Purplish' are the other words that I will be shying away from for a very, very long time...
:e2cry:

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Battleborn, a collection of short stories by Claire Vaye Watkins. I've read the first story and I hope the rest are as good. Another author added to the list of people I'm insanely jealous of.

KDDante

Registered
Reaction score
Maximum Ride: Schools Out Forever. This is the second time reading it. The last book in the series just come out, i haven't read book 6 or 7 (just got 6 and 7 in from Amazon), so I'm going back and reading through the first 5 books I read years ago so I'm up to date.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt.

AuthorInProgress...

Registered
Reaction score
Sophie Kinsella Can you keep a secret? love all books she writes hope to be up there in the bookstores next to her , we can dream.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Reading more out of a sense of duty at the moment; it's not really drawing me in.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading East of Eden - John Steinbeck. I didn't expect to enjoy it--I've had rotten luck so far with the classics I've read--but it's really interesting. So far.

Todd Larkin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon, Book One of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I'm almost finished.

I had already started Book Two of this series last year, but had to quit because of school. This year I started a list of fantasy novels I want to read (series included). The list is incomplete but already at 200+ books. haha After I finish this series I plan on reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (plus The Hobbit before the movies come out), and then likely A Song of Ice and Fire, not to mention some standalone fantasy novels in between. :)

Todd Larkin

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Gardens of the Moon. There's no questioning Erikson's culture/world-building, but there are several times where his characterization leaves much to be desired. Too many uber characters, in my opinion. Also, sometimes things will happen out of nowhere so that it conveniently fits problems presented in the plot. I don't like that. Oh well, still a good read.

Now it's on to Deadhouse Gates, Book 2 of the Malazan series. :)

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Three Brides and No Groom by Debbie Maccomber. Not my usual cup of coffee but I'll probably finish cause its quick reading