Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #2401
Jonathan S.
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Jonathan S. is on a distinguished road
Post First blog post, requesting love

Hi all!

So, I'm an aspiring MG author and just published my first post (ever) on a group blog (about writing) I recently joined, where I am essentially the MG genre rep. Anyway, the post is about how I chose MG as a genre and I thought you all might like to read/comment. Right now I'm getting crickets, so would love some, well... love.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.atbwriters.blogspot.com/

Also, please accept my sincere apologies if this is not the right place to post this. I just thought, rather than posting in some kind of self-promotion thread, I'd put this out to my MG peeps.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #2402
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWare View Post
Yep, things are a changing in MG land. There's the seasonal slowness with all the teachers back to work, plus I think a few of the old timers have moved on.

A few AW'ers have booking coming out if you have a chance check out the last couple pages of the bouncy castle.

BTW: Your new WIP sounds Spot on, and really exciting!

Thanks MJ! I'm thinking of putting the first chapter today, maybe gauge a reaction. I'm pretty far into it, so wouldn't be worrying about every little edit. THEY can wait til next draft.

Also! My short story I added to the Horror SYW is now up on the Chilling Tales For Dark Nights October contest Reddit! I'd appreciate a read and hopefully a vote?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ctfdn/commen...andrews_ctfdn/

Cheers!

Dave

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #2403
SSGriner
Author of The Cemetery Sleeper

SSGriner is on a distinguished road
Middle Grade Writer Too

Nice to hear from another middle grade author. I have my first indie book out and I'm spending lots of time doing dreary marketing and very little time writing. My book is a ghost story about a boy who sleepwalks to a nearby cemetery. I'm starting to do author talks at nearby schools which I enjoy way more than the impersonal online marketing. I enjoyed your blog and am glad there are supporters out there.
SSGriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #2404
mazblondie
figuring it all out

mazblondie is on a distinguished road
Hello from another MG writer, have my first two books in my series written and I am currently at 30k on the third, am also revising and 'fluffing up' the first one to get it ready for submissions. Already have a couple of YA on Amazon but I am really loving the MG age bracket.
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova
mazblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #2405
heza
Taking some time out

heza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthood
I've been busy with NaNo and other stuff, so a late welcome to our new Kidlit Gang members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan S.
So, I'm an aspiring MG author and just published my first post (ever) on a group blog (about writing) I recently joined, where I am essentially the MG genre rep. ...
Congratulations on your blog post! Looks like you ended up with lots of comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGriner
I have my first indie book out and I'm spending lots of time doing dreary marketing and very little time writing. My book is a ghost story about a boy who sleepwalks to a nearby cemetery.
Congratulations on your indie book. The premise sounds really good. There are ghosts in my WIP, too, so I'm a sucker for a good MG ghost story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazblondie
Hello from another MG writer, have my first two books in my series written and I am currently at 30k on the third, am also revising and 'fluffing up' the first one to get it ready for submissions. Already have a couple of YA on Amazon but I am really loving the MG age bracket.
Good luck getting your current MS ready for submission. Are you going to be querying agents or submitting directly to publishers?

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #2406
mazblondie
figuring it all out

Hey Heza,

To be honest I did sent out the manuscript for the first,and it wasn't ready. (so excited it was done didn't think it might actually be crap) I have just spent the last two weeks revising, and I am now looking for a few beta readers, I know it still needs some work so will probably hold off till after christmas.

Also only found this site a few weeks back, and it would seem I had been sending the MS out to some pretty dodgy vanity publishers. Reading back it surprises me how terrible it was, and yet i was offered 3 reps with these companies, If I paid them of course.

Anyway I am sure it will all work its self out , she says crossing everything

Anna Akhmatova

Last edited by mazblondie; 11-12-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: still learning how to post replies!!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #2407
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazblondie View Post
H
Also only found this site a few weeks back, and it would seem I had been sending the MS out to some pretty dodgy vanity publishers. Reading back it surprises me how terrible it was, and yet i was offered 3 reps with these companies, If I paid them of course.
Bullet dodged! Feel good about that. When seeking publication through the trade route, aim high. Don't start with publishers you've never heard of, start with the ones EVERYONE has heard of.

Good luck! I hope we'll hear more about your journey.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #2408
mazblondie
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by profen4 View Post
Bullet dodged! Feel good about that. When seeking publication through the trade route, aim high. Don't start with publishers you've never heard of, start with the ones EVERYONE has heard of.

Good luck! I hope we'll hear more about your journey.
VERY much bullet dodged!! And I am just glad I found this site BEFORE I signed up for anything

Anna Akhmatova
Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #2409
heza
Taking some time out

heza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazblondie View Post
VERY much bullet dodged!! And I am just glad I found this site BEFORE I signed up for anything
That's great! Whew, huh?

I wouldn't feel too badly about it. I think a certain amount of naivete is normal when you're first starting to dip a toe into the publishing industry.

I have been a "writer" for some 20-odd years, but it's only in the last four to five that I finally figured out there was... well, all this. I had a story idea, I thought I could write competently, and I figured I'd just write it up, send it off to Penguin, be published within a few months, and make a million dollars.

And then I also found some vanity publishers and randomly decided to look up reviews on one of them, and that's how I found AW. And oh. my. god. the world it opened up for me. I realized not only was my writing not publishable (yet), but my idea was also completely derivative and not very practical. I hadn't know anything about how the industry worked--that there were agents, that you had to query, that agents had to sub, that there would be so many revisions. I feel lot better armed now.

I think when I was in that beginning stage, vanity publishers looked legit. I mean, I was so used to smart phones and one-click ordering on Amazon and being able to order a pizza online without talking to anyone.... it just didn't seem weird that getting a book published was described as being just as effortless, you know? Now I know better, now I have realistic expectations. Now I'm a better writer.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #2410
mazblondie
figuring it all out

I'm relieved by it all to be honest.

Like you I thought writing a book was easy, and to be fair the actually writing of the book is easy, but everything that goes with it is not so easy.

As I have mentioned(cant remember if it was on this thread or not) I have 3 books on amazon, all 5 star reviews, which is great, but the physical getting your name out when you have neither a publisher nor a huge online presence (although I am trying to get my name out there now) For me I think it is the reason so many good books slip through the net. I have read some great indie books, unpublished the traditional way and with hardly anyone noticing them, and read books that are trad published that I have wondered why. This industry is not only hard, but weird.

So my third revise is under way on my childrens MG book, and I think by about revise 50 it might be ready Although I think I will personally be sick of seeing my MC!!

This site was mentioned by a lady on facebook and I had never heard of it, and even though I dont post much, I lurk and read all different threads. And I have learned so much in a very short space of time. Thanks for the chat and I look forward to following your journey also

Anna Akhmatova
Old 11-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #2411
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current

Supergirlofnc has a spectacular auraSupergirlofnc has a spectacular aura
I thought I'd just chime in and say hello to SSGriner and mazblondie!

TWITTER

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #2412
mazblondie
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirlofnc View Post
I thought I'd just chime in and say hello to SSGriner and mazblondie!

helli back from me

Anna Akhmatova
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #2413
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello to the new members of our Kidlit Gang.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #2414
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley is on a distinguished road
Hi all. This seems like a place for an introductary post so here goes...

My name is Mike, I write MG. I have completed two short (by design) manuscripts (approx 35K) one is horror with humor (a la RL Stine) and the other is a character driven adventure with humor. I'm well into a third book that will be much longer. I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)

Anyway, i've been writing and writing and haven't made much effort to connect with other writers and readers and want to begin the process of meeting people and exchanging work and participating in the community so I can get better and help my fellow writers get better. I've had an account here forever but haven't used it until now. So, hi!
Guy Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #2415
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to the watercooler, and to the Kidlit gang, Guy.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #2416
playground
practical experience, FTW

playground is a shiny, shiny jewelplayground is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post

My name is Mike, I write MG. I have completed two short (by design) manuscripts (approx 35K) one is horror with humor (a la RL Stine) and the other is a character driven adventure with humor. I'm well into a third book that will be much longer. I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)

Anyway, i've been writing and writing and haven't made much effort to connect with other writers and readers and want to begin the process of meeting people and exchanging work and participating in the community so I can get better and help my fellow writers get better. I've had an account here forever but haven't used it until now. So, hi!

Guy, nice to meet you! Are you interested in chance in swapping works for editing one another by chance? Thought I'd ask lol.
playground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #2417
heza
Taking some time out

Quote:
I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)
(Ah, bummer!) That's really cool, though.

Welcome aboard!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #2418
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post
Guy, nice to meet you! Are you interested in chance in swapping works for editing one another by chance? Thought I'd ask lol.
I would love to trade reads for macro notes but I don't think I'm ready to edit anybody.
Guy Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #2419
Supergirlofnc

Quote:

Nice to meet you, Guy!

TWITTER

Webpage
Old 11-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #2420
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Are kids with powers books played out? They're a hard sell in YA apparently, but what about MG?

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #2421
Supergirlofnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post
Are kids with powers books played out? They're a hard sell in YA apparently, but what about MG?
I don't know but I've seen some MG books in the bookstore that have kids with powers. My guess is it depends on the story? I wish I could be more help!

TWITTER

Webpage