Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Wow Jo~, that's quite a list.

I admire writers who can also draw and everything else. I wish I could design my own book cover.

But, alas, I am gifted in other areas. I can play music by ear, sing and can turn a simple plain room into a beautiful little room. I love to decorate. I love photography too.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Does freehand 3d modelling count?

cyclsm.jpg

TAIPsm.jpg

daytsm.JPG

polsm.JPG

mercuryjav

I have an MFA in painting from the School of Visual Arts. I include drawings in my books that are usually relevant to the plot. Adding a visual dimension at certain points in a thriller can spice up the readers experience by adding to the mystery. Case in point Dan Brown Angels & Demons.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I can act! I sing, but not especially well. I have recorded some demo tracks, just to sign in a studio and have a demo. I am very good at acting, though, even though I only do it in indie movies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There are skills worth having beyond writing? :Wha:

Kidding.

In my teens, I drew cartoon characters. If I'm really bored on my lunch break I'll sketch still life's. I can carry a tune, but will never EVER fool myself into auditioning for American Idol. I paint ceramics when I have free time and used to make jewelry (earrings, mostly). I can play one song on the piano, but no other instruments. Never was very good at sports. I like decorating and can visualize well, which helps with my day job. I can beat the pants off you at the Planet Hollywood game. I make a mean Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.

Lots of small skills and minor talents, but nothing else that I excell at. There's nothing that I love as much as putting words on paper.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I have a B.A. in painting and spent many years painting and sculpting before making a long, gradual shift into writing.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to writing in its various forms (stories, songs, poetry etc.), I am also a visual artist (I can draw and I am good with photography), and a performing artist (I can sing, dance, act). I'm artistically inclined in pretty much all areas but unfortunately, I'm always simply above average and not spectacular in any one area- a jack of all trades, master of none!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from writing...

I play a few instruments: bass, drums, guitar, piano, banjo, cello. I can also sing a little. I play bass really well, and I'm pretty good at cello as well. The rest I'm okay.

I used to act, mostly musical theatre. I've dabbled with Shakespeare, but I've wanted to do more of that.

Photography is another one of my things. I used to do weddings, but I've had some nature stuff published. Mostly stuff I took while visiting Israel.

Drawing is something I'm not very good at. I used to be okay when I was in primary school, but I never developed it.

Oh, I've made some pretty decent clothes and accessories too.

Reactions: LucindaLynx

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have some natural talent in drawing and in music (not singing), but I never developed it in either farther than 6 months or so. I had teachers who encouraged me to go on, but nah. It just wasn't my thing.

I am still crafty and design holiday decorations, costumes and stuff. I do enjoy it. As for art, I just like looking at or listening to other folks' stuff much better.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Oh wowzers, I posted in this thread a while ago. :D Still a studio potter, but my studio is smaller and I'm focusing on filling my own house with dishes I've made. Then I think I'm going to move onto garden stuff. Fountains, pots, outside sinks.

I've drawn, painted, enameled, blown glass, stained glass, silk screened, etched, made jewelry... but I have a BFA and they made me.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I did not even see the date of the last post. Colour me embarrassed.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie threads taste of win.

Zombie threads taste of braaaiiiinsss.

There are some examples of my art here an there around the web, though I really should gather everything together in one place. There never seems to be enough time to get the art and the writing schedules balanced, and I tend to end up cramming weeks work of drawing into a few days whenever I get peace and quiet.

bySD

Registered
Reaction score
I draw as well as write. I do a little song writing, photography, and I'm trying to learn to paint.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I think this was a good thread to resurrect!

I can't draw, but I can doodle and diagram. I'm a knitting designer, in addition to writing books and articles on knitting techniques.

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
compose music...sing too...passably i suppose...wanted to paint...failed....

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. I thought I remembered this thread from years back. ;-) I've found that most creative people have more than one skill. I know the mainstream press is always snide and disbelieving when, for example, some actor shows up with a guitar or a painting. But we really need to let people BE creative, stop trying to pigeonhole them or put them "in their place". It's good to have a thread where people can hint at their other ventures. Always such a surprising variety. I've had stories, poems, illustrations, articles, 2-d and 3-d graphics published; I've had short films produced; I played guitar for 20 years, plus some drums, keyboard, piano, bass (any instrument that got left around the studio) and was a wiz with old analog studios and audio production; I've done video editing, sound f/x & visual f/x, game world design & programming, even theatrical swordfighting (the only skill of mine that ever doubled as a great workout). Had I not tried to do so many things, I can't imagine what I'd have to write about. It all seems to come from the same zone, a sort of daydreaming state that's far more appealing than reality. All you other artists & split personalities, chime in ...

adagietto

Registered
Reaction score
I draw and paint as well as write. More often than I write, probably. ;D Though I think the two kind of go hand in hand, for me.

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Hi. I thought I remembered this thread from years back. ;-) I've found that most creative people have more than one skill. I know the mainstream press is always snide and disbelieving when, for example, some actor shows up with a guitar or a painting. But we really need to let people BE creative, stop trying to pigeonhole them or put them "in their place". It's good to have a thread where people can hint at their other ventures. Always such a surprising variety. I've had stories, poems, illustrations, articles, 2-d and 3-d graphics published; I've had short films produced; I played guitar for 20 years, plus some drums, keyboard, piano, bass (any instrument that got left around the studio) and was a wiz with old analog studios and audio production; I've done video editing, sound f/x & visual f/x, game world design & programming, even theatrical swordfighting (the only skill of mine that ever doubled as a great workout). Had I not tried to do so many things, I can't imagine what I'd have to write about. It all seems to come from the same zone, a sort of daydreaming state that's far more appealing than reality. All you other artists & split personalities, chime in ...

Yeah. Absolutly. Im only 28 and Ive had more than 28 jobs..never fired just always wanted to do more...anything from working on cruise ships to in a pharmacy..as an intern for deaf and hh people...hence my tagline. Ive got the wanderlust bad.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I feel like a bit of a fraud here. I paint a lot (that's one of mine in my signature) -- in fact, do professional illustration. Also drawing, computer art, web design. And design and sew clothing. But I don't write.