Harlequin Historical undone - no submission acknowledgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa_Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, a newbie here.

Three weeks ago I submitted a piece of work to Harlequin's Historical Undone line via email. I haven't received any acknowledgement so of course I am worrying about whether the email got there OK.

Has anyone else submitted an Undone recently and, if so, did you get an automated email acknowledgement of your submission? Or any kind of acknowledgement?

Hope someone can help.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's quite common not to get an acknowledgement from a publisher. And 3 weeks isn't long to wait for a reply.

I'm afraid you're just gonna have to be patient.

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
Has anyone else submitted an Undone recently and, if so, did you get an automated email acknowledgement of your submission? Or any kind of acknowledgement?

I subbed to them last June and got an automated email saying they'd received my submission. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be much help overall because when I nudged in November they had no record of it.

Check your spam folder, maybe?

ShannonMcEwan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shannonmcewan.wordpress.com
I submitted three weeks ago as part of the online pitch, direct to the editorial assistant as requested. I didn't get an automatic response, but I did follow up a week later (on advice through the Harlequin Forum that the UK editors are usually prompt in acknowledging direct submissions) - and got a speedy acknowledgement back.

I think that the story might be different if you submitted through the general email. In that case, best place to double check on whether to expect acknowledgement, would be probably be through the Harlequin Forum.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I would follow up. Every time I've submitted via email to the London office, I've had an automated response including a reference number to use whenever you want to contact them about the submission.

Teresa_Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. I couldn't see a response in my junk mail, but good suggestion. I will send a follow-up email. Sorry your submission got lost, KVL, how frustrating.

Teresa_Smith

Registered
Reaction score
No confirmation second time around

Well I did send a follow-up email to the same email address ([email protected]) asking very politely for a confirmation of receipt, but I still didn't get a confirmation, so I am no better off.

What can I do but sit and wait umpteen months for a response that may never come because they never got my email or it went into their junk mail? It's hardly ideal. At least with hard copy submissions you get the acknowledgement postcard back and you know you're in the system.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
You should receive a response to your follow-up query, though it's unlikely to be as speedy as within a week. I think my follow-up query was a month or more till I received a response.

Oh, and the submission wait... yeah, best to start working on something new to distract you. It's gonna be a while.

Teresa_Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks san_remo_ave

That the response to your follow-up took a month or so is really helpful to know. Thank you! Right, I'm going to assume both emails got there fine and get on with my WiP.

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted in January and did eventually get an email confirmation, though if memory serves correctly, it took a while. You definitely should get a confirmation that they received your piece though. That said, I submitted in January and have not gotten any sort of response yet.

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I got an auto-confirmation. Hmm. I would still give it a while though before you resubmit! Best of luck!

Teresa_Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Update

I'm just adding a postscript to my own message here, in case it's useful to anyone else.

I received an email from the editorial team six months after my submission, confirming that they received the submission and that the manuscript is still under consideration.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The one time I submitted to Spice Briefs was the longest I ever waited on a response to a submission from anyone except Red Sage. I imagine Undone is similar.

Last edited:

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
Good luck, Teresa Smith :)

I got a form R after 15 months from Harlequin on a full-length but their editors were very nice when I nudged them and said they were quite busy. I did end up pulling my Undone submission after about 8 months. It's with another place after the editor asked for an R&R so at least I know it wasn't too terrible a piece :)

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
I got an R about 2 1/2 weeks ago on the 26 week mark for an Undone - so - I reckon you should take 'still under consideration' at the 24 week mark as a positive sign!

Good luck.

Hmm. I'm going on the 11-month mark without having received a rejection or request. I know there have been reports for as long as 13 months before hearing anything, but is there a point where I should make sure the submission was actually seen? (I did get a submission auto-confirmation when I first sent it.)

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going on the 11-month mark without having received a rejection or request. I know there have been reports for as long as 13 months before hearing anything, but is there a point where I should make sure the submission was actually seen? (I did get a submission auto-confirmation when I first sent it.)

After that length of time I'd call. I've called about submissions before and trust me, they don't bite. Although I've also heard of people waiting and waiting only to eventually discover a decision had been made some time prior and the response had gotten lost. Just something to keep in mind.

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
After that length of time I'd call. I've called about submissions before and trust me, they don't bite. Although I've also heard of people waiting and waiting only to eventually discover a decision had been made some time prior and the response had gotten lost. Just something to keep in mind.
Good advice. I can imagine only a rejection would get lost though. I'll try them after the New Year (by then it would be a full year anyway). I'd just like to know so I can start submitting it to epubs.

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
It also appears they have a new editor, so that could possibly account for the delay/misplacement?

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's case as I think the editor is still with the company, but I know sometimes that can cause things to get lost in the shuffle, especially considering the high volume of submissions they get.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
It also appears they have a new editor, so that could possibly account for the delay/misplacement?

I don't think so. They change editors often enough (they cross over to/from different lines or get promoted or go out on maternity leave or other various things). It really just appears to be standard operating procedure. I think the head editor will make the final acquisition decision in the case of an Undone from slush.

You should definitely follow up at this point if you haven't done so. Amy does respond to follow up requests that go to the general submissions box --it might be a few weeks, but she can confirm it's place in the process.

Best wishes!

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. They change editors often enough (they cross over to/from different lines or get promoted or go out on maternity leave or other various things). It really just appears to be standard operating procedure. I think the head editor will make the final acquisition decision in the case of an Undone from slush.

You should definitely follow up at this point if you haven't done so. Amy does respond to follow up requests that go to the general submissions box --it might be a few weeks, but she can confirm it's place in the process.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the advice Elaine and everyone. Will definitely send a follow up email after the New year.

Status
Not open for further replies.