Who would star in the movie made from your mystery?

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
In my police procedural mystery, I have a 33 year old female detective, tall, blonde, smart. I would pick Charlize Theron to play her. In my cozy mystery, I have a 48 year old mother, wife and teacher. I would like Laura Dern to play her. She is not beautiful, the way the detective character is, and I like Dern because she seems to exude a warmth that my character has.

What about you?? When you project your success out to the universe, who will play your characters???

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
If I had a choice, Peter Mullan would play my disgruntled Glasgwegian PI, Derek Adams. Tilda Swinton would be his long suffering cop girlfriend, Euan MacGregor would be his trusty sidekick, Gerald Butler would be the boss of the local crime ring, and Robert Carlyle would be the wee drunk reporter that says fuck a lot.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
If I had a choice, Peter Mullan would play my disgruntled Glasgwegian PI, Derek Adams. Tilda Swinton would be his long suffering cop girlfriend, Euan MacGregor would be his trusty sidekick, Gerald Butler would be the boss of the local crime ring, and Robert Carlyle would be the wee drunk reporter that says fuck a lot.

I LOVE your choices!!! I love Tilda!! I would have picked her but my MC is more all-American. Tilda is somewhat enigmatic, and I didn't write a character like her. Although I bet it was fun writing a character she could play!

Do you think about the type of actor who would play your character when you are writing? I hadn't done that at all, but was just now wondering if writers did that. I read recently to think about who, exactly, is your reader. Both of my readers are librarians, but the police procedural librarian is a college librarian or a big city librarian who likes to escape into good books, but wants some grit. The cozy mystery librarian, I think of her as a school librarian, more naive, wants something that isn't disturbing. Yes, I'm stereotyping, as I am a high school English teacher and I LOVE grit!!
Nancy

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Sigh. When I first finished my first novel, in 1999, and picked up an agent immediately, and thought I had hit the big time, I carefully chose all the actors I thought would be perfect for the big Hollywood movie that was sure to follow. I've grown up a bit since then.

At the time though, I wanted Christopher Walken as my main character, Kevin. Holly Hunter as Sally, the DUSM chasing him. Dana Delaney as Kevin's wife, Cindy. Never really had a kid picked out for the part of Danny.

:(

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Everyone I would cast is way too old to play the characters. That's what I get for ignoring popular media for 15 years. :) But I do often picture actors I've seen and liked when I visualize my characters.

I did have an odd experience a few months ago. We were watching "14 Blades" (not a great film), starring Donnie Yen. He's an odd-looking fellow, especially when they put him in that pre-cultural-revolution bowl cut they use for films about historical China (like "Ip Man," a much better movie that you should watch instead of this one). This was a Ming Dynasty piece, though, and, he was done up in long hair and a mustache.

I had been picturing one of my MCs as Mongolian, or possibly Maori. But when Donnie Yen walked on the screen with a glower on his face, I actually recognized him.

So Donnie Yen. But they'd have to dub him, because my MC's voice is much lower. (Also, he would need to be taller.)

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. When I first finished my first novel, in 1999, and picked up an agent immediately, and thought I had hit the big time, I carefully chose all the actors I thought would be perfect for the big Hollywood movie that was sure to follow. I've grown up a bit since then.

At the time though, I wanted Christopher Walken as my main character, Kevin. Holly Hunter as Sally, the DUSM chasing him. Dana Delaney as Kevin's wife, Cindy. Never really had a kid picked out for the part of Danny.

:(

OH, keep your dream!!! I am a grown-up, I know the chances of anything getting published, nevertheless a movie being made of it, but it's fun to think about. And if it doesn't get put out into the Universe, it will never happen!!

And I love all of your actors!
Nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone I would cast is way too old to play the characters. That's what I get for ignoring popular media for 15 years. :) But I do often picture actors I've seen and liked when I visualize my characters.

I did have an odd experience a few months ago. We were watching "14 Blades" (not a great film), starring Donnie Yen. He's an odd-looking fellow, especially when they put him in that pre-cultural-revolution bowl cut they use for films about historical China (like "Ip Man," a much better movie that you should watch instead of this one). This was a Ming Dynasty piece, though, and, he was done up in long hair and a mustache.

I had been picturing one of my MCs as Mongolian, or possibly Maori. But when Donnie Yen walked on the screen with a glower on his face, I actually recognized him.

So Donnie Yen. But they'd have to dub him, because my MC's voice is much lower. (Also, he would need to be taller.)

I don't know him, because I don't watch much TV or go to movies much anymore either, but I'll look him up. Thanks!
Nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
I will check him out, Liz!!! Thanks!
Nancy

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Whoa, Liz! Dude's built.

I went through a mental casting thing a little while back. My wife reckons Natalie Portman would be perfect for my female MC. Her partner could be Idris Elba. He's a touch old though - a more leftfield choice might be Adrian Lester (he'd need to grow a beard :)).

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally, if given the option, the casting of the Jack Miller movie would look something like this.
Jack Miller-The ex-MMA fighter turned CIA agent turned private detective who is searching for the killer of his wife. Played by Tom Hardy.
Anjelica Vellasso-The Venezuelan assassin turned private eye who joins Jack's team of investigators and aids him in his search for his wife's killer. Played by Anne Hathaway. (Because you can never piss your readers off too much.)
Nick Trelanna-Jack's best friend, an ex-marine who was dishonorably discharged who works as a private detective with Jack's team. Played by Josh Lucas.
Starr-A twenty-two year old stripper with a mysterious background who Jack takes under his wing and trains her as an MMA fighter as well as offering her a job on his team. Played by an actress in her early twenties, I don't really know of too many, so I'll just say Debby Ryan because I have a thing for her.
Zach Ellis-The wisecracking detective who investigates the murder of Jack's wife. Played by Thomas Lorcroft. (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

Love it!! Especially the reason for Ann Hathaway!!!
Nancy

kristenvalentine

Registered
Reaction score
I think about this a lot (you know, because it's basically guaranteed to happen </sarcasm font>), but I haven't been able to come up with the right face for my private investigator MC, John Starett. He might be a bit of a combination of Michael Vartan, Billy Campbell, and Jon Hamm. His love interest, Kate, is 100% Jennifer Connelly, though.

In my new procedural-ish novel, Eleanor Fox would be Neve Campbell.

Sinderion

Registered
Reaction score
A good practice overall, I generally try to cast my characters too :D

The guy that plays Scottie in the new Star Trek movies is one of my favorites in my current novel. There's also Adam Savage from mythbusters. (I'm stealing the Adam/Jamie dynamic a bit). Another is Michael Weston's old handler from Burn Notice... yeah I don't usually think in terms of their names lol, just my easiest reference for them >.<

megajo29

Registered
Reaction score
Website
macaronicus.blogspot.com
I didn't try to cast my MC. She is very clear in my mind, but I've no idea who would play her. It would have to be someone young, and I don't really know the new generation of Hollywood stars. The ones I do know are way too beautiful to be my MC.

However, I did try to cast one character who starts off as minor but gains importance by the end. I tried to cast him b/c I don't know what he looks like. I figured, if I found the right actor, I could use him to describe my character - if that makes any sense? He's a play-it-by-the-book FBI agent with an expression that gives nothing away and a cynical streak. The closest I've come is Tommy Lee Jones, only my character is in his late 20s, early 30s. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Nice. I'm a huge Donnie Yen fan, and I also do the "cast my characters" thing. I cast him as the villain in a novel set in Hong Kong, with Tiger Chen (Man of Tai Chi, Keanu Reeves's directorial debut) cast as the protagonist.

Thomas Pluck

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thomaspluck.com
In the book I'm querying, Jay Desmarteaux is a fresh ex-con in his early 40's. I imagined a young Fred Ward. Since that's not possible, Joe Manganiello would be fine, if a bit too tall (reverse Reacher?)

As for the WiP, Scott is a retired Marine embassy guard and full time nerd who inherits a bar with his fired English teacher buddy. Chris Pratt could do it. Hunky and goofy.