Abodement August 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Writing and planning. It's all moving it forwards, so that is still great work liz.

I took a day off yesterday to spend with the family. Took my middle girl to a dog show because she's animal crazy.

Made it up (not intentionally!) by doing 2399 words today. Got caught up in a scene and just kept going. Think I've got one chapter left so should meet my August goals of finishing my first draft.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Hived off about 2,000 words this evening after realizing that the problem chapter I'd been wrestling with for some days actually needed to go. 'Go' as in go away, that is, poof, completely gone. And so it is. The serendipitous result turned out to be a nice little plot twist, which was completely unexpected but nice. (Guess this is what going to Killer Nashville did for me!)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all

No writing last week, but I had a minor op on Tuesda and ended up feeling a bit too zonked for the rest of the week to focus on writing.

However, feeling better now, back to work today and trying to get back into usual routine so had an early morning writing session.

Two existing chapters amended. Progress made.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping the stickiness won't last, liz.

I managed some 1,5k words over the weekend. They're really bad.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
1551 this morning. Was a really intense scene that I would have loved to keep writing. Was so incredibly into it but my littlest was begging for lunch. Ah well, will have to pick it up later.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Made up for the paltry amount of words earlier by sending out some queries.

In other news, now going to have a stiff drink...

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
asroc - Hugs on the words.

lindz - Don't you just hate that when it happens?

OSG - Awesome on the queries...and the stiff drink. Is everything okay?

1,156 words last night. Broke 80k. :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on breaking 80k, Saoirse!

And to osg, on the querying, I salute you. I'm doing a bit of that myself.

Worked on the new WIP last night and got a few words in.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Wow, I take some time off after publishing my latest and you guys are rocking!

Way to go, Saoirse! Great milestone! :hooray:

Getting back to it today, after a much needed break, and working on an MS I put aside for over a year now. No actual word count, just rewrites of what I already had. So far it's stands at 3,051 words. This one is a little different than what I usually write as I'm writing from two POV's. My MC is a retired San Antonio Police Detective and he is called back into service when a serial killer resurfaces. The other POV is that of the serial killer. So not only do I have to get into the head of my MC, but also have to get into the head of a psychotic killer. Should be interesting. Posting some over in LOD for your viewing pleasure.

ETR: Wow, I managed to knock out 632 new words on this one. It's really weird getting inside the head of a whack job like this serial killer. Hope it doesn't rub off. WIP now at 3681. But it does feel good to be writing again.

Last edited:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
And done!

Omg what an emotional last couple of chapters. I ended up writing 3075 words today because I just had to finish it. So freaking intense. I'm pretty much glowing right now. Feels so good to have written a first draft.

And now a ton more work to do to get it to a readable state. Probably going to take a bit of a break now and collect my thoughts, do some reading, etc. This thread has been such great motivation so thank you all!

First draft done. Yay!

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
First draft done. Yay!

:partyguy: :hooray: :snoopy: :PartySmil

Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing, having a finished draft!

Welcome back to your off-series book, Ken. I always did think it sounded creepy and intriguing. Will look forward to following your progress.

osg, querying is the time to toss one back, for certain. Keep at it. Never forget, you are awesome. :Hug2:

Yay for new WIPs, Namatu! And yay for queries! :hooray:

Congratulations on the 80K, Saoirse! I do love those odometer moments. :)

I received six and a half pages of editing notes today. I had a small meltdown, printed out the notes, had a drink, and consolidated the notes into two pages of bullet points.

Tomorrow: Less melting, drinking, and whining. More progress.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time in months, I can join one of these threads! Almost finished the rough outline for a new project that's come out of nowhere (but at the same time will allow me to use a lot of ideas that've been floating around for a while but I had no idea how they would fit into a story). My MC has figured out who did it but I'm now just trying to figure how they'll prove it.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, everyone!

lindz - Congrats on finishing!

Ken - Great to see you back! Your WIP sounds intriguing. I've had to get into the minds of warped characters...it can be unsettling.

Liz - Good luck with those editing notes.

Zelenka - Welcome back!

OSG - Hugs!

Namatu - Nice work!

1,068 last night.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Way to go, lindz! Congrats! It's an awesome feeling.

Hugs, Liz. No melting on us, you can do it. :D

Thanks, Saoirse, it feels good to be writing again. Granted it was only two weeks or so, but it seemed a lot longer.

The story is progressing, and I'm getting deeper into the psyche of my killer, which may be a scary thing. This guy is one sick puppy. Added 1072 today, bringing the WIP to 4753. May get more today, but have to take a break, clear my head.

This is really different for me, as I'm used to writing the "good guy" part. To delve into the dark side of the human psyche is a new experience. Sure, I've dealt with creeps and killers, but never anyone this dark. I just hope it doesn't affect me too much.

ETA: Added a meager 390 more words this afternoon, for a total of 1462 today. WIP now at 5143.

ETA to ETA: Added another 406 tonight, bringing my daily to 1868. Best I've done in a long time for one day. WIP now at 5549!

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ken - Awesome wordcount!

Liz - Hugs on the revisions.

OSG - Hugs to you, too. I've had days like that with the WIP.

553 words last night.

ETA - 475 words today (Friday).

Just a heads up -- hubby and I are going camping from Sunday until next Thursday and I won't, sniff, have internet access. I'll be back to posting Thursday or Friday. Should be lots of fun! I am SO ready for vacation.

Last edited:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I've been forgetting to check in. Well, progress has been made. I completed an editing pass through book 3, and managed to up the word count to almost 78k, so I'm in range for length. I just sent it to my readers, but I'll keep chipping away on this thing until mid September, when my editor needs it.