You are a Short Story, He Was a Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this with the fellow novel writers, a very beautiful piece of writing that would definitely spark a couple of thoughts. Not sure if it actually belongs in the Novels section, but I find this quite exceptional and very worth the read.

Taken from the Thought Catalog.

I posted just a little excerpt underneath, so check the link for the full "short story".

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/you-are-a-short-story-he-was-a-novel/

You are a short story. You start in the middle maybe, and you don’t have a long word count. A few pages. A short arc. A gimmick. Some terse resolution.

You’re certainly not a novel. You don’t creep sweetly along — slowly, steadily, building to a climax, resolving in the end. I don’t take you on the subway and read you for months and months. I don’t lug you around in my bag — with your pages bent comfortably, your cover ripping off, your edges worn. He was a novel, but you are a short story, wedged between other short stories, maybe, in some kind of collection. Or on your own — a light, morning read. You are notable. You can be good. You are favorite territory to re-tread, with little to no time lost. You are easy.

You make me feel like I am also a short story to you. It’s like we’re writing something small together — filling in the dialogue right where it should go, describing the people and the clothing and the setting. Making metaphors, twisting prose. Not predictable, and not a novel, but perfect in its own way. Strangely, in this short story, there are no first drafts. We are editing as we go. It’s minimalism. Every word counts. You are someone I can read over and over again, that I want to read to others, that I can recommend and not feel too uneasy about it. You can be longer, expanded, worked on — or not. You can become your own short story collection with bits and pieces of the same character followed through a single weaving timeline. You can stick around for a while. But in the end, you will never be a novel.

M.Macabre

The Walrus.
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I don't want to be a butt but I don't know if this is in the right place :/ I read it, and it seems to be comparing relationships to works of fiction, and sort of bashing short stories.

RainbowBunnyofDoom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gilded-folklore.com
I think I understand what this is saying. Or, well, at least what it's saying to me. I do love short stories, but they're certainly not novels. They just have a different feel to them. It's not bad, and I don't really think this piece of prose is saying that they are. They're just...different. Like an apple and a peach are both good, but two different kinds of fruit with different feels about them :)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a nice metaphor for the relationship, but strong metaphors rarely need so much explanation. This one kind of beats the metaphor to death (in my opinion). Some of the best ones are stated without explanation, or with minimal explanation, because they are so relevant and revealing, and they let the reader carry the meaning in his/her own specific way (based on personal experiences). This one seems to me to have that no-explanation-needed, or not-so-much-explanation-needed, potential.

Sometimes, the sharp, bullseye appeal of a good metaphor is blunted by too much elaboration. Of course, personal tastes on this issue will vary.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a writer who's trying way, way too hard. She lost me after the third sentence. Pretty doesn't cut it, and this is way overblown for a metaphor.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a writer who's trying way, way too hard. She lost me after the third sentence. Pretty doesn't cut it, and this is way overblown for a metaphor.

Yeah, sorry, I'm with James.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly like the metaphor a lot, but I don't think it needs as much elaboration as it gets here. I think metaphors pack more of a punch when they're just laid out simply and then the text moves on.

But I like the idea a lot. I can easily feel the difference between the two relationships with the comparison. I like that it doesn't really state short stories or novels have different relative values; they are just their own separate things with separate rewards for the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.