Pacing technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobnarr

Prisoner of gravity
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my first novel, and I've been sharing it with family and friends. One thing I didn't expect was how varied and contradictory much of the feedback would be - some people love things that others detest.

But, I've gotten one consistent criticism from several different folks. This is that there's one section that fails to hold their interest, where the pace of the story slows down. When first hearing that, I was convinced that this part wasn't actually that long, that the stuff that happens there is all important, that I just need to punch it up to keep the tension going. As a scientist, though, I decided to collect data. I divided the book up by changes in location and counted the words between location changes. This is obviously not a perfect proxy for pacing, but I figured it would be a good first-order approach. I divided these section word counts by the total number of words, and produced a book timeline graph that shows how much of the book I spend in each location. Here it is:

SCsm.png

Can anybody guess which section people thought was dragging? :)

I was suitably chagrined. I think this might be a helpful technique for others. Aside from seeing that I spent nearly 20% of the book in one chunk at one location, it was also interesting to see how the other parts fit together, and how much time I spent in each place. The high value just before the end I'm not so worried about, because it's the climax of the book. The other sections are all relatively short, which suggests to me that I'm keeping it moving OK.

So, now I have to figure out how to slim down by maybe 8,000 words in one section of the book. Not easy, but at least I can see there's a need to do it.

Has anybody done anything like this before, or have other cool tricks?

A bigger version of the graph is here, if anybody wants to see it better.

Last edited:

CatchingADragon

dragon seeker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catchingadragon.com
It is interesting that location and pacing problems correlated in this case, but I'd be cautious about thinking about pace in terms of location; that the slow pacing happens in one location could be a side-effect or a coincidence.

I think pacing is more about giving the reader the sense that what's happening matters to the story's conflict, and the amount of pressure that's on the characters to do something quickly.

Anyway, I think it definitely can be interesting to notice how long characters spend in specific locations, as it can often be surprising. I think when the conflict is interesting, locations can become more invisible than we imagine.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The length of time spent in any single location is of no matter -it's what happens that matters.

If it drags it's because nothing of interest is happening, and that could be a lack of action, or too much wordy action, or dull action, or dull or wordy narrative, or unnecessary descriptions, or long-winded reflections on what has happened and what to do next...

I see this is your first novel and a book that may assist with understanding and resolving pacing difficulty among other issues is Scene & Structure (How to construct fiction with scene-by-scene flow, logic and readability.) by Jack M Bickham. I certainly found -and still find -it helpful.

Last edited:

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
as an engineer

I create a table of contents, paste into Excel, calculate the page length by subtraction, and color code cells for location, pacing, and action/conflict. Almost a necessity for 70 chapter thrillers.

If the novel is dragging, time to add something to speed it up.

A funny story. I had my 1st great beta reader. Funny and diplomatic. Once she inserted "I'm not that familiar with mysteries, but isn't this about the point where they should find another body?"

Meaning the novel was dragging and needed something to pick it up at that spot.

The hard thing is to avoid adding a cheezy bit of action to artificially pump up the suspense. Much better to integrate it in at the start. Action/suspense is good, but it should relate to the overall plot and pacing - not a simple minded diversion, which anyone can write. It can be a challenge. I can see that with more experience adding suspense will come naturally on the 1st pass, but I sure wasn't there with my 1st novel.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget, correlation does not necessarily equal cause and affect. Is it the location that makes the different, or the plot happening in that location? How do the characters vary?

Interesting idea...

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Characters staying in a location doesn't necessarily mean nothing is happening. At one point, I spend 30 pages where the characters are all in the same city. However, those 30 pages are some of the most action-packed of the entire story.

I could see something like this working for me, though, because my current WIP is a quest fantasy with a lot of locations.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's what agents and editors think that matters, and they don't give a damn what any beta reader says.

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
I, for one, found this fascinating. Maybe using "scenes" instead of "locations" might have gotten a better review from the veterans.
I'm a novice, and right brained - so something like this might work for me. It's a nice way to give me an idea if I'm keeping my parts relatively even, or dedicating too much time to certain areas.
Sure, it wont tell me what I'm doing wrong, but maybe I could give me a place to start.
^_^

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In The Writer's Little Helper, James V. Smith, Jr. recommends testing each scene for reading ease, and even separately testing the beginning, middle and ending of scenes to see how they compare -- for variety in pacing. Use MS Word's readability check. Fewer words per sentence and fewer characters per word, low percentage of passive voice, Flesch reading ease of 80% maxium and Flesh-Kincaid level at 6 maximum is his formula overall, per tests he ran, for what makes best sellers stand out from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.