How do you know how long your novels will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I guesstimate off submission guidelines. I just like having a ticker that marks my progress; watching the butterfly/ladybug/whatever creep towards the finish line helps me when I'm feeling frustrated. For my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] WIP, I came in 10K under my original guess. So I am prone to error and adjustments. :tongue

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I establish a reasonable goal for the genre. For my current WIP, I started out with 100k, but then I realized it was going to be longer, so I raised it to 120k. I'm hoping to stay under that because agents start looking warily at novels over 120k, even in epic fantasy.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I had no particular aim, but I knew what I wanted and had my story planned, so I made the mistake of doing an outline of the book with chapters already titled instead of a WC goal, to keep my pacing and progression in check. I only realized 2/3 of the way through that it was severely constraining my writing. I tried to fit everything into these chapters the way I had planned it, and the story suffered as a result.
I had no idea exactly how long it would be, but I guessed after the first few chapters of my 2nd reworking that it would be around 120k. It ended up at nearly 140k, which was trimmed down to 134k after revisions and editing. It was only after I rejoined AW that I found out about the YA 100k taboo, something I'd never heard of (somehow missed, and I can't believe I missed it) in 6 years of studying the industry.

I think you should give yourself a goal, but don't let it hamper or block up your writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.