Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kansas!

Yeah, it wasn't TOO bad. Went 4 days without and lost power off and on a bit during the nor'easter, but weather wise things are finally looking up! Even going to be in the 60's this weekend! YAHOOOOOOOOO. But on top of all this, during the hurricane, one of my girls had a stomach virus, then I got it, and now my other daughter has it, so I've been home with kids for a good 2 weeks which means everything else in life is pretty much on hold. Though I did manage to cut off 7K from my novel yesterday and got it down to 93K which is HUGE. I have a bit more chopping to do, but I will be happy with anything under 90K. I had to eliminate a subplot, but it still totally works. Now it's a matter of losing those smaller scenes that are so darn hard to let go of because I just love them or they a part of character development and I'm not sure if they should or shouldn't go, but when I get to betas, they know to look out for that stuff for me. ;) How are you doing?

ETA: Oh! And they FINALLY have the gas situation under some control. They are adopting Jersey's idea and rationing gas out on alternating days (plates that end in odd numbers get gas on odd number days), so today is my gas day! :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
The weather gods thought it'd be funny to dump another ton down the next morning. Humph..

you mean trees have leaves? :) Ours don't. Even in spring they don't really. Lol.

:hi:

Hey Kansas!

Yeah, it wasn't TOO bad. Went 4 days without and lost power off and on a bit during the nor'easter, but weather wise things are finally looking up!

glad things are getting a bit better, apparently winds damaged some power poles here. Glad I wasn't trying to walk around in the howling dark of night :/

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
ETA: Oh! And they FINALLY have the gas situation under some control. They are adopting Jersey's idea and rationing gas out on alternating days (plates that end in odd numbers get gas on odd number days), so today is my gas day! :D

For a second there I forgot you mean 'petrol' when you say 'gas', and I was wondering how they'd cut out the gas supply to each household on alternating days, lol. (I'm sure I'm not the only Brit thinking along those lines!) :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Parump! What kinda' trees do you have where you live? Shoe trees? Family trees?

Mel! Enjoy the 60's. Those lil' scenes are hard to let go of, aren't they? Particularly when they're character builders. Some of my fave scenes in my writing. But, sometimes a proud parent's gotta' cut the umbilical cord and say goodbye to our babies. It's like when a child asks a parent, "which of us do you love better?" And, of course, the stock parent answer is "None. I love you all just the same." Well. Parents lie! But when it comes to writing, I think it holds true. I love all my scenes equally.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Silver dollar Eukaliptus [coin/quarter size leaves], Ironwoods, PaloVerde, and Mesquite. Most of the leaves are about the size of a ticktack on these plants. :D

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hi guys and gals!

So my hubby was admitted to the hospital yesterday - in London, since he's there on business - and is being kept there over the weekend. He started out with a cold, turned into bronchitis plus a virus that sent him into an asthmatic attack. He had trouble breathing, so he headed to the ER, and he's been there since. They're giving him oxygen and they pumped him with steroids to strengthen his lungs. He was supposed to fly home tonight, but now I don't know when he'll be home. We keep texting each other though, so I know he's okay. Getting old is no fun. But think positive anyway.

In other news, the next pitch contest is coming up on my blog next week. I hope some of you plan to enter!

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your husband, Dorothy. Hope he recovers soon. It's bad enough to be sick at home, but to be in another country...I know I'd want to be in my own bed.

Parump, I love your Thanksgiving turkeys :D

:welcome: Marykathywendy! Your name made me giggle because it reminds me of when I'm trying to get the attention of one of my girls and I go through all 3 names to get to the one I want. And that's why I'm in the older people's thread, lol. Maybe, I should just call them daughter 1, 2 and 3.

Glad to hear the power/gas situation is getting better, Mel. So sorry that you're dealing with the stomach virus *shudder*. When one of us gets it here, I run around with the Lysol like a madwoman to prevent it from spreading through the whole house. Hope everyone feels better real soon. At least you can air the house out when it hits the 60s!

It was freezing here the past 2 days (and it snowed!) so I'm looking forward to the 60s myself. My back yard is full of leaves. Hey Kansas, if you're not busy I'm sure I can find an extra rake.

lisa! Where've you been, girl? Good to see you here :)

Good luck to all the Nano writers! I'm plodding along slowly and should actually be using my free hour to write. Enough procrastinating!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy! Sorry to hear about your hubs. Sounds like he'll be okay. He'll be fine. Keep a positive attitude, something I learned from my wife. So, keep your chin up. Things like this do take the wind out of you, though, don't they?

And I don't wanna' hear about getting old. I'm the elder statesman here!

Everyone else sounds like they're doing great, what with all the revisions, agent interest, NaNo progress and what have ya'. Congrats and keep up the great work.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Periwinkle, I have three boys and always screw up their names. If I went through the list, it might be easier.

Or I could just say, "Hey you."

Dorothy, sorry to hear about your hubs. You're in Germany, right? How far is London? I hope he gets better and comes home soon, but not before he is breathing right.

I have never heard of those trees, and we have all kinds of trees up here in Wisconsin.

My state book festival is going on. I would like to see one of the authors, but will probably opt to sit in on a panel of authors and agents.

http://www.wisconsinbookfestival.org/

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, that's so scary about your husband. Hope he gets better and you can see him soon

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Netz, haha. And for a min I was thinking you were thinking another kind of gas. I won't even go there because, umm...ew. LOL

Dorothy, I'm soooo sorry about your husband. Ugh. That's just awful. I mean, I'm glad he's being well taken care of, but I can imagine he just wants to get home and you just want him to BE home. Sounds like they are taking good care of him. Hope he has a fast recovery and is able to fly home you guys soon! And wait, you're in Germany???? As in...living? Cool.

Kansas, haha, You are a whackadoo! LOL I think it was harder in the beginning (when I first started writing) to let go of some stuff but when one of my beta readers pointed out how well certain scenes can still work without this or that, it made me realize that it's not always as important as I think it is.

Periwinkle, OMG, I JUST ran through my house Lysoling everything about an hour ago LOL. I should have been doing it everyday but it just occurred to me today. Derp!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Parump, I love your Thanksgiving turkeys :D

What? These???

mini-graphics-dancing-and-singing-329322.gif

Periwinkle, I have three boys and always screw up their names. If I went through the list, it might be easier.

\

My mom screws up my birthday date all the time and I'm an only child. She called me by the dog's name once too - happens to everybody :D

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I'm also an only child. My mom once called me by my DAD's name. I was like "....Do I LOOK like dad to you??" :roll:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy: Sorry about your husband. It's hard when they're sick and you're away.

Lol at all the names. My mom always managed to keep my name straight...except for trying to change it to Petunia at some point.

So had an interesting day yesterday. Someone tried to hack my computer. -_- They actually got onto it. Led to a lot of rushing around making sure nothing important was on it (just the novels, luckily!). But my IT husband had a great time with it, getting to act the detective and play hero. He was actually having a bit too much fun with it -_-

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii! Did your friends all receive dire messages about how you're trapped overseas in a hotel with no money, locked outta' your hotel room?

It's really, really weird. Lately, this has been happening a lot to my friends. I'm going broke helping them out.

Did Mr. Kewii "Castle" the crap outta' the case? (I can't watch "Castle" or "Bones" with Mrs. Stuck-In-Kansas anymore, 'cause she gets mad at me for pegging the killer in the first several minutes. Not 'cause I'm smart. I can just tell by TV cliches and the cast).

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the well wishes. You are all magic, because he's feeling better. Docs still have to examine him and give him the okay, but it's possible he might come home tonight. :)

Yeah, Mel, I live in Germany. My hubby is German and we've been living here for 15 years. (Married almost 19 years.) Kids born here and are bilingual and dual citizens. My father was Air Force, though, so I'm kind of used to living all over the place. There's literally "no place like home" for me, lol.

Re: names. I do it ALL the time. I even called my husband by the dog's name once, lol. His name was Schnapps, a Yorkshire Terrier, no longer with us. To be fair, my hub's name is Stephan, so they start with the same letter. ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Glad his is doing better Dorothy!

In other news it is raining and freezing here!!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, that is so cool! I've been with my husband 17 years and we are supposed to be moving to Puerto Rico next year. He is from there and I look forward to my girls becoming fluently bilingual as well. They know some Spanish, but they're pretty Gringa (even though they're not) LOL.

I mix my twins up all the time. I will say Arwen, Lorien, Arwen...which ever child you are, come here! :D

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dorothy, that is so cool! I've been with my husband 17 years and we are supposed to be moving to Puerto Rico next year. He is from there and I look forward to my girls becoming fluently bilingual as well. They know some Spanish, but they're pretty Gringa (even though they're not) LOL.

Sounds so cool!

I mix my twins up all the time. I will say Arwen, Lorien, Arwen...which ever child you are, come here! :D

LOL, I do that too. "Um, what's your name again, yeah you!"

Your twins have cool lames! Very middle-earth! ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I do that too. "Um, what's your name again, yeah you!"

Your twins have cool lames! Very middle-earth! ;)

haha! But thanks. I'm impressed you even caught that. Most people don't. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.