Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyheymse

Registered
Reaction score
The positive attitudes in this forum are seriously inspirational! It really shows that you're writing for the love of telling a good story, and I have to believe that that kind of joy when combined with hard work and talent will win out in the end.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, PD, you should switch your June and Fall book positions in your siggy. I kept thinking why does she have a cover for the last one but not for the one before it and then realized the release dates. JAS :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, PD, you should switch your June and Fall book positions in your siggy. I kept thinking why does she have a cover for the last one but not for the one before it and then realized the release dates. JAS :)

*chuckling*

They're not the same series - that's why that other one is off to the side. Totally different group of books from the other three in the sig.:D

It's my publisher's fault, they decided Magic&Meru should come out ahead of the second Shadow Born book :D

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I blogged today about revise & resubmit phone calls which I thought would be a cool topic since nobody ever writes about them ;)

I also got a Instant message from a beta reader who said she was blown away by my new draft :snoopy:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Hey guys!!

I blogged today about revise & resubmit phone calls which I thought would be a cool topic since nobody ever writes about them ;)

I also got a Instant message from a beta reader who said she was blown away by my new draft :snoopy:

Awesome post. So happy for you! And jealous, since I'm not anywhere near done with mine. :)

I'll comment there later...I'm not logged into my google account from which I run blogger at the moment (silly google--can we fix the multiple account thing so it works for more than just email?)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your R&R, Smiley. Didn't know you were still in college. Thought you'd left the lebsley rank ^_^

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of betas...just got 9-page notes (single spaced) on my new draft from beta #2. Um. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA. Help me. I love all of them- it is just going to take so so much work/time. *falls over*

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of betas...just got 9-page notes (single spaced) on my new draft from beta #2. Um. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA. Help me. I love all of them- it is just going to take so so much work/time. *falls over*

But you love the notes! That's awesome! And shows that the beta really liked the work or he/she wouldn't have spent that much time making notes!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Guys, I'm off to Berlin. Have a great first weekend of Advent (or regular weekend if you're of other persuasions). I wish you much productiveness and inspiration!

Talk to you when I get back. :)

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Hey guys!!

Really excellent blog post, thank you for sharing it!!!

I'm working on an R&R for an agent right now. It's very stressful yet also very exciting. Good luck! :D

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Great blog post, Smiley! You're right, no one seems to blog about the dreaded R&R.

Oh, and hi everyone. :D

I write YA SF/F. And possibly other YA-ey stuff. I'm currently polishing my first MS and getting a workable query together, while also plotting out my next book. It's so hard to get all the shiny new ideas out of my head and FOCUS!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, good luck on that R&R. Those nine pages of notes line up with those?

I never heard of an R&R until I came to AW.

Safe travels, Dorothy. Enjoy Berlin.

NaNoWriMo is winding down, but I am nowhere near done with this draft and will probably keep going. Hopefully I will have it done by February.

I am reading Cheryl Klein's book, Second Sight, as some inspiration before I do another rewrite of the MG novel. I might try writing it in first person. It is now in close third person. I must be crazy. Read a blog about someone else who changes POV like someone changes clothes. At least one other crazy person is out there.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
So, one of my beta readers texted me that she's barely been able to get dressed because she can't stop reading my novel. WHEW. She also said she barely has any comments so far! It's such a relief. I mean, I know it's only one beta reader (it's out with two others as well for first round then I have 4-5 more beta readers lined up for second round), but every time I send out an MS for beta reading I'm certain that they will tell me this is the worst piece of shit I've ever written and that my writing/story telling skills are getting worse rather than better. LOL. Of course, the other beta readers might tear it to shit, but it's still a relief to hear something positive, ya know?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Great blog post, Smiley! You're right, no one seems to blog about the dreaded R&R.

Oh, and hi everyone. :D

I write YA SF/F. And possibly other YA-ey stuff. I'm currently polishing my first MS and getting a workable query together, while also plotting out my next book. It's so hard to get all the shiny new ideas out of my head and FOCUS!

Welcome, err...Dang. That name of yours is too long. What should we call you for short? Confused? Lost? Ooh! I know. "IDK" :) LOL Anyway, welcome to the forum and to OPTWFT!

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
IDK is fine! :D I'm channeling Socrates here. Or that's what I tell myself.

Congrats on the beta-love!

How did you go about getting betas? From this forum? The only person who's read my writing is my boyfriend. :I

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Have a great trip, Dorothy!

IDK, I find betas through interacting with folks here and through the Beta Readers threads. I've also posted stuff in SYW and had people message me asking if I needed a beta.

I highly recommend betas. My hubby reads my writing but he's so biased that even when he tries to be critical it just doesn't work. One of my betas evolved into my critique partner and I don't know how I wrote before finding her!

Status
Not open for further replies.