Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
S&S's new thing makes no secret that it is self-publishing, I think. The fees are crazy.

AFAIK, RH is just an e-book imprint, equivalent to Musa or Entangled, except with a bigger publisher behind it. That's far different from self-publishing, as long as RH is giving a publisher's backing to these books

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK, RH is just an e-book imprint, equivalent to Musa or Entangled, except with a bigger publisher behind it. That's far different from self-publishing, as long as RH is giving a publisher's backing to these books

I looked into it and there was an article in publisher's weekly from 2011 - I guess they're doing very well with the ebook thing, and they decided to expand.

Sent. We'll see what happens. ;)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Yay gals (and random guy)!

I'm glad to be proven wrong on Random House's epubbing venture! Unlike S&S, I think they're being kinda' savvy and realizing that epubbing's the blue-ray of the now in publishing.

I'm gonna' give 'em a shot. Y'all should, too, sounds like. Before they get swamped and that appetizing two-to-four week turnaround on a query goes away.

Write on! (Um, didn't mean to sound like an old hippy there. Even I'm not that old).

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a short to sub too if the MS isn't what they want ;)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck JB and parumpdragon ::e2cheer::

I hope you wouldn't mind my "innocence."

What are the major differences between subbing to digital-only imprints like RH and services like Amazon KDP?

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, old people.

I am in an odd mental space right now. My bff from college told me her husband's sister has terminal cancer. She should live through Christmas, but not long after.

I know that girl as well as someone can know the sister of her best college friend's now husband. I know she went through chemo. I had no idea she will die. I am a friend to her on Facebook, which I haunt now, as if everything she says is now super poignant.

Hard stuff, right there.

I want to send her F@ult in Our St@rs by John Green, but not sure that is proper. She is probably not reading novels in her last days on earth. In fact, she is watching Yes to the Dress.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, old people.

I am in an odd mental space right now. My bff from college told me her husband's sister has terminal cancer. She should live through Christmas, but not long after.

I know that girl as well as someone can know the sister of her best college friend's now husband. I know she went through chemo. I had no idea she will die. I am a friend to her on Facebook, which I haunt now, as if everything she says is now super poignant.

Hard stuff, right there.

I want to send her F@ult in Our St@rs by John Green, but not sure that is proper. She is probably not reading novels in her last days on earth. In fact, she is watching Yes to the Dress.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Jill.

It's always so hard in those situations. You want to help so bad, but you never really know how to do that.

I'll keep your friend and her sister in my thoughts.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Get ready to see MORE of me now. I'm done with the chorus concert, done with NaNo (except all the editing), and now I just have to get to flying home next Tuesday (and then you won't see me as much again, lol)

The concert was a blast! It was a full day event though, so I'm exhausted. I totally nailed my speaking part. People laughed when they were supposed to. For make-up and hair, I came in like Sandra Bullock near the end of Miss Congeniality and the other girls all fixed me up :D I looked like a painted doll, and I kinda loved it.

Also, the gals all thought I was 19. Okay! (I'm 32) And one of them is having her daughter review my book. Yay!

Have I mentioned that suddenly Musa's picked up the pace with reviews, and I'm seeing a lot more people reading LS. That's pretty exciting.

I hope you wouldn't mind my "innocence."

What are the major differences between subbing to digital-only imprints like RH and services like Amazon KDP?
I'd love to tell you, but I know nothing about Amazon KDP, lol. I might do some research later, just to inform myself

Hello, old people.

Hard stuff, right there.

That's so sad. *hugs* Yeah, it's hard to know if something like TFiOS would comfort or not. In my personal experience, but I am a weird person, cancer stuff makes me really uncomfortable, but that's because I get self-conscious about not *feeling* some sort of cancer affinity. Like someone's sitting there observing my reaction and expecting me to react a certain way. I haven't read TFiOS. However, Before I Die did make me cry... after the dumb first half (I had skin cancer 16 years ago, and I'm fine :) )

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
(((((((jk)))))))) so sorry. &%$^&@* cancer.

Sage, yay for more you. :)

I'm lost in re-writes. I'm going chapter by chapter, adding a character, and changing another character's role in the story (which was pretty major) and changing a few other things throughout. This mani is going to be a mess for a bit, but I do believe it will be better in the end.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone's doing better than I. Pulled out an 11,000-word chunk of ms that I was working on a few months ago. I hate it. Ok, not every single word, but at least half of them. The way it's told is all wrong.

Oh well, at least I just hate the words and not the story!

Sorry about your friend, JK. I think I'd only give TFIOS if it were someone I were very close to and I knew that person would appreciate it. But what a thoughtful idea for someone who would love it.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK! That sucks. Sorry, my friend. Cancer's affected a lotta my family and friends.

Wampus! Your writing will look better in the cold light of day tomorrow. Really! It will!

Remember, ladies. Things could be worse. You could live in Kansas. Just awful.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Does it ever snow in Kansas? Everyone in my neck of the woods is really happy because we had our first snowstorm of the year. Snowmen are everywhere!

It helped my mood a bit, although I'd still like to give cancer a kick in the @$$.

Glad to see you around more, Sage:)

Lisa! That link was fun and got some words on the page for me.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your friend, JK <<<<HUGZZZ>>>

Sage, You need to post your 19yo Miss Congeniality avatar.

So cool Wampus. I haven't written 10 worrds the entire week. My father's visiting us and it's been hella hella buzzy.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: JK. I'm so sorry to hear that. Ugh, I hate cancer. I agree with wampus, though, that TFiOS seems more like something you'd give someone you were pretty close to.

It's Monday, and it's gross and rainy, bleh. All I want to do is curl up under my desk and sleep.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Sunny but cold here, like 60 today -- I know that's not cold to most peeps, but it is here.

sorry to hear about your friend JK. :Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.