Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Jaegur! Don't talk to me about "old!" I'm older than the Mayflower, that's how old I am! Gah! Kids today.

Jaegur

mmmm words.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so old,

That I forgot the witty thing I was going to leave here.

Bananas.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Revision takes longer than I expect. So do first drafts. I wish I could pick up my pace.

I'm nearing the end of my first draft and it's seriously bumming me out. As in, I woke up today feeling depressed and thought it was because of work. Then I thought about it some more and realized the plight of my characters was wearing on me. I'll be glad when I can start revisions and distance myself a little.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really teasing, folks. It was a rejection. But, Smiley, I'll PM you.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I lied, I'm e-mailing. Sorry for the incoming "inbox (1)" heart attack.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Got a personalized reply from the lady at Random House. She wants to see some chapters.

:chair

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome any Newbs to the OPTWFT thread!

PD, Woot! Congrats! Good luck!

Kansas, that's wonderful news!!!

(((((((Sage)))))))) so sorry, mama, but there seems to be something...good there? *Is confused*

Just got back from Miami. Hubs just graduated with a degree from Kaplan in Forensic Psychology/Criminal Justice. I'm sooooooo proud of him. It's NEVER too late to go back to school :D He starts his masters in Homeland Security in a couple of months. Miami was nice, but we seemed to have brought the damn NY cold weather with us. It was only in the 70's while we were there :( But it does beat the 20's/30's weather we've come back to, so...

Haven't opened my puter since Thursday, so I'm looking forward to finishing revisions (hopefully) this week.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a personalized reply from the lady at Random House. She wants to see some chapters.

:chair

Wonderful! :D

Just got back from Miami. Hubs just graduated with a degree from Kaplan in Forensic Psychology/Criminal Justice. I'm sooooooo proud of him. It's NEVER too late to go back to school :D He starts his masters in Homeland Security in a couple of months. Miami was nice, but we seemed to have brought the damn NY cold weather with us. It was only in the 70's while we were there :( But it does beat the 20's/30's weather we've come back to, so...

Miami has been on my mind so much lately, it's one of the settings in my WIP.
Congrats to your husband! What a cool thing to get a degree in.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see...

Parump! Awesome! Fingers crossed for you.

Sage! Sorry! You'll get 'em next round.

Mel! Congrats to Mr. MellyMel!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, Mel. Your hubby's degree makes me think of Dexter. I have a weak spot for smart guys, and I really miss that show since we cancelled cable. It has been a long year of waiting for Netflix to catch up.

Jaegur, I like your style. Welcome to the Old People thread. The title is a bit of a joke. If you are 20 or older, you count as old.

Boo, Sage, on the no. Am I being too nosy to ask if you queried your publisher for Love Sucks? Does the project not fit their list? Are you looking for something else in a publisher?

Request for pages is promising, Parump. Being cautiously optimistic with you.

I am hammering out this first draft. Some days, I love it. Other days, it is like slogging through sand. I am at 38K. I was at 20K at the end of NaNo, so I am making progress. The good news is I am in the meat of the story, which is better than setup, for me.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK! Go! Hammerin's the best way to write, I think. You can always go back and fix it up. And you name-dropped "Dexter." Therefore, I need to seek out your book.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get caught up on Dexter too. I am a huge fan of season one and four.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, Hubs and I are HUGE HUGE HUGE Dexter fans!

JK, We are in the same boat as you. Cancelled cable and have to wait FOREVAH for the new season. I hear the last one was GREAT. I have to admit though, other than Dexter's character, I LIVE for Deb's scenes. She freaking cracks me up. Love her so hard. *girl crushes* :) And with the way the last season ended, I am DYING to find out what happens next!!!!!

Nightowling, I have a scene in my current novel that takes place in Miami Beach. I used to live in Coconut Grove and then spent all my summers and vacations through my teen years there. But now as a mother with kids, it's not all that exciting anymore ;) But it was still good to re-visit the place. It had been a while.

Kansas, thanks for the Congrats. It is very exciting. He's been so passionate and I'm so excited for him. Not only did he get his full bachelor's degree in 2.5 years (because he earned 58 credits through a very intense experiential portfolio course), he got it with a 4.0! Srsly, I'm blown away by the boyz mad skillz. :D I'm excited for his future career (and I cannot wait to see him regularly in a suit because HOT DAMN THE MAN CAN ROCK A SUIT! LOL).

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! Deb does rock a crooked grin, don't she? Yeah, the new season of Dexter was good. Much better than last season's lackluster effort, I think. And I was squicked out by the pseudo-incestual content. I mean, what? Anyway, I digress. Digressing's what I do best. It's a pompous way of saying "procrastinating." But I LOVE me some Deb potty-mouth and crooked grin.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think I remember us talking about this while I was watching the season and I was soooooo not loving that aspect of the whole show. I would say last season was my least fave thus far, but I still enjoyed it.

And for you (though I may have already showed you this link?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74tubLUhiLI

And for all Deb lovers, this was the first time I saw her, so when I saw her in Dexter I was already in love with how hilarious she was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gy4xMgArmk

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! Loved the "white chicks" clip. Deb rocks like there's no tomorrow. She makes cursing an art-form.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Mel, I'm dying to visit Miami Beach, the Keys, etc. I've been to Florida but only Orlando for Disney World. I've just always had a fascination with South Florida and wanted to set a story there. I'm doing a ton of research on the area and am planning to visit and experience the real thing before I begin querying (which I'll do a century from now at the rate I'm going. *weeps newbie tears*)
And yes, LOL, love that dressing room scene. She is hilarious. And so good on Dexter! How does she not have an Emmy nomination?

Kansas, I wasn't a fan of season five and didn't hear good things about season six either. Heard good things about this season, aside from the Deb falling for him plotline. Which season is your fave?

Speaking of Florida shows, does anyone watch Burn Notice? I saw a few eps on Netflix while bored one day and it was pretty amusing.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score

Aww, thanks!

Request for pages is promising, Parump. Being cautiously optimistic with you.

I am hammering out this first draft...I am at 38K. I was at 20K at the end of NaNo, so I am making progress. The good news is I am in the meat of the story, which is better than setup, for me.

Thanks.

And congratz on 38k!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Florida shows, does anyone watch Burn Notice? I saw a few eps on Netflix while bored one day and it was pretty amusing.

I really like Burn Notice - Bruce Campbell is on it after all. BriscoCountyJr. was my favorite with him in it.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Nightowling! Gotta go with the John Lithgow season as my fave on Dexter! Dexter's only as good as his villians, and you can't get better than that one.

Parump! Let's give it up for Bruce "The Chin" Campbell! He's the only reason I'm still watching Burn Notice (although it's one of Mrs. Stuck In Kansas's faves). But I'll always know Bruce from the Evil Dead films.

Status
Not open for further replies.