Prewestern history of kissing

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I've really struggled to find a definitive answer on this.

Does anyone know if kissing as an expression of romantic love existed in any of the tribal cultures of Native American / First Nations peoples before the arrival of westerners?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss#History

First reference to kissing is 3,500 years ago.

I am familiar with that page, and it's really fascinating, but it generates more questions for me than answers.

Kissing another person's lips has become a common expression of affection in many cultures worldwide. Yet in certain cultures, kissing was introduced only through European settlement, before which it was not a routine occurrence. Such cultures include certain indigenous peoples of Australia, the Tahitians, and many tribes in Africa.[17]
This is specifically what I was wondering about. If Native Americans/First Nations kissed one another to show affection romantic affection.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I am familiar with that page, and it's really fascinating, but it generates more questions for me than answers.

This is specifically what I was wondering about. If Native Americans/First Nations kissed one another to show affection romantic affection.

I wondered about this, and there isn't much online. The American Indians were varied in their cultures before they were contacted by Europeans. Some are known to have found kissing very foreign, certainly the Inuits did. But some groups had contact with other cultures over long periods. There was some commerce between Africa and Brazil, and there were Europeans fishing off New England for hundreds of years before there were permanent settlements.

Then there this comment elsewhere that says no sign of earlier kissing.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_past-greats-colonial-women-draw-funny-faces

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
I would think that in a romantic/sexual way it has basically been around since cave men/women era. I am not sure what kind of kiss you are talking about, but I suppose you mean the erotic kind, not the "formal" peck on the cheek etc. I think it is part of human beings' natural instinct when they become aroused sexually to kiss, first on the lips, then deeply, just as other things come natual in that context

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
I would add that the acceptance of doing this in public must have come at a much slower pace :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And lips do contain a lot of nerve endings and are very sensitive. So I would agree that kisses have been part of sex since the start. But social kisses.... dunno.