Hells Angels - can they be mentioned?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I just got finished with my story and am now starting to edit it. A bit wary of the 81's reputation, I'm not so sure I should leave a certain thing unchanged.

I invented a resistance group within a ghetto similar to the Gaza Strip, only worse, in a dystopian Israel. They are mostly young men plotting the great escape, and helping out their fellow ghetto dwellers with gestures ranging from guarding them during curfew, over running over vicious military dogs, to trying to detonate the ghetto walls.
They call themselves the Hell's Angels because the ghetto is Hell, and they want to free/deliver its inhabitants, like angels. They are also militant and reckless, but only riding dirtbikes at best. Most of them are idealistic kids.
And in the epilogue I want to have them nominated honorary members by the real 81. I wonder if that's a good idea. Or if any inclusion or implication of the Club is.

Am I being paranoid or should I change the name and the outcome?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I just got finished with my story and am now starting to edit it. A bit wary of the 81's reputation, I'm not so sure I should leave a certain thing unchanged.

I invented a resistance group within a ghetto similar to the Gaza Strip, only worse, in a dystopian Israel. They are mostly young men plotting the great escape, and helping out their fellow ghetto dwellers with gestures ranging from guarding them during curfew, over running over vicious military dogs, to trying to detonate the ghetto walls.
They call themselves the Hell's Angels because the ghetto is Hell, and they want to free/deliver its inhabitants, like angels. They are also militant and reckless, but only riding dirtbikes at best. Most of them are idealistic kids.
And in the epilogue I want to have them nominated honorary members by the real 81. I wonder if that's a good idea. Or if any inclusion or implication of the Club is.

Am I being paranoid or should I change the name and the outcome?

Why don't you ask them? There is a link to a contat page.
http://affa.hells-angels.com/

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I had a reference to the Hell's Angels in my original draft, and then did some reading and found they vigorously defend their trademark. It seemed best to cut the reference, so I did.

Separately and in parallel to this, I ended up rewriting the motorcycle gang I portrayed in the book after meeting and working with a bunch of real-life Hell's Angels. I talk about why in a guest post on Chuck Wendig's site here. The long and the short of it is: Please don't rely on popular assumptions of what the Hell's Angels are like. (I don't know if you are or not, to be clear, but I'm mentioning just in case.)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between mentioning Hells Angels and inserting a logo. If you try putting the winged skull on the cover, then you can expect to be sued, but mentioning people wearing their colors is not a cause for action.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
There's a huge difference between mentioning Hells Angels and inserting a logo. If you try putting the winged skull on the cover, then you can expect to be sued, but mentioning people wearing their colors is not a cause for action.

It may not be a legitimate cause, but even a suit that ends up getting dismissed can cause major headaches. Not that I'm saying the HA would bring an illegitimate suit, just saying that personally this is why I always try to err on the side of caution when it comes to a vigorously-defended trademark.

eta: IANAL, this is not legal advice, etc. :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It may not be a legitimate cause, but even a suit that ends up getting dismissed can cause major headaches. Not that I'm saying the HA would bring an illegitimate suit, just saying that personally this is why I always try to err on the side of caution when it comes to a vigorously-defended trademark.

eta: IANAL, this is not legal advice, etc. :)

I don't think they would even consider suing over a mention of Hells Angels in a work of fiction. There is a huge difference between using a trademark without permission and mentioning something. It is completely permissible to mention Mickey Mouse, but if you make a picture of Mickey you can expect Disney to sue.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I don't think they would even consider suing over a mention of Hells Angels in a work of fiction. There is a huge difference between using a trademark without permission and mentioning something. It is completely permissible to mention Mickey Mouse, but if you make a picture of Mickey you can expect Disney to sue.

But aren't there cases of people suing over the trademarked group/product being portrayed in what they perceive as a damaging manner?

(Again, IANAL, this is a sincere question.)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
But aren't there cases of people suing over the trademarked group/product being portrayed in what they perceive as a damaging manner?

IANAL either but yes, I think so. Not saying that would happen in this specific case, just that I know the HA are very protective of their trademarks and identity (and rightly so IMO).

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer, you are creative. I'd think you can some up with something different to name the group. You shouldn't have to rely on bringing up an image by using the name of a group that reminds you of yours. There probably are some legal issues involved in you naming your group Hell's Angels, though you could compare it to them if you needed to.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Exactly - this is pretty much the whole premise of Sons of Anarchy - Angels by any other name

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

Sure they can file suit, but mentioning an organization in a work of fiction is protected, whether it's the Republican Party, Hells Angels, International Business Machines Corporation, or the Roman Catholic Church. If you write something that is false and defamatory, then they would have a cause for action, but that's a different matter.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Thanks everyone for the input!

Well, I definitely don't mean to portray them poorly, on the contrary the reference is supposed to be flattering, but you never know. Actually, I may have watched too much TV, but I was less worried about legal action ;)

I just wrote them to ask them directly as King Neptune so wisely suggested.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input!

Well, I definitely don't mean to portray them poorly, on the contrary the reference is supposed to be flattering, but you never know. Actually, I may have watched too much TV, but I was less worried about legal action ;)

I just wrote them to ask them directly as King Neptune so wisely suggested.

My mother used to work with a former Hell's Angel (retired from the group with honors). He was a huge dude with a long beard and full-sleeve tattoos down both arms. Basically he looked like he would chew you up and spit you out, but he was actually super-nice.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
My mother used to work with a former Hell's Angel (retired from the group with honors). He was a huge dude with a long beard and full-sleeve tattoos down both arms. Basically he looked like he would chew you up and spit you out, but he was actually super-nice.

When I was around 8, 9 years old that was exactly what I wanted to marry :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
he was actually super-nice.

Most of them are. Individually (and provided you don't fall foul of their particular honour, but that;s pretty easy -- don't be a dick.)

Ofc there's always one...but I've never had a problem with them and I've been to a couple of dozen Angels rallies. In fact they were incredibly helpful when a fire started at one, and helped everyone get medical attention etc (Not always in a conventional manner mind, but that's a whole 'nother story)

Also they make some pretty wicked wine.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Since this is set in the middle east, why not "cheat" and call your group Hell's Seraphim or something similar? I doubt even the most aggressive lawyer could get you for that.

James simpson

Registered
Reaction score
If you are that concerned about it you could always change the name slightly, for example from Hells Angles to Gods Demons. (Or something with more than two seconds thought put into it.)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
When I was around 8, 9 years old that was exactly what I wanted to marry :D

One of my favorite parts of my years working at a vet was getting to see the soft side of tough guys on a regular basis. There are few things quite as adorable as a giant tough-as-nails dude cooing over a tiny little puppy or dropper-feeding a kitten.

Getting back to the main topic. People are people, and despite what the media would have us believe, the majority of people are pretty awesome if (as Mr. Flibble so succinctly put it) you aren't a dick.

Last edited:

Luvspaghetti

Registered
Reaction score
You know asking the president doesn't mean all the chapters will agree. In jail I found out that having the blessing of one didn't keep the others from reacting.

I'd write your story with their name in it and take it on the chin. You may get threatened either way. You have to decide how you want to live.