Rejectomancy

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, bad luck.

I'm there at three days, so maybe I'll get an R sooner than I expected.

Project Deadlight, I don't know what to suggest. I've never subbed to them. I can't sub anywhere that takes postal subs until I get a new printer.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, bad luck. I'm there at three days, so maybe I'll get an R sooner than I expected.
I'm at two days at Apex and, with my sub to Clarkesworld, I might even got a double-R in my inbox when it all shakes out. Hurray! :(

Last edited:

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R's everyone :( I'm in the club yet again. Got a form from Analog today and the funniest personal rejection I've ever received:

"I'm really not sure what to make of this one. It's well-written, but decidedly weird, in a walking-talking-salmon, mind-expanding-hazelnut kind of way."

Mind expanding hazelnut lol I'm rolling over here.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A nice personal R from HFQ. They wanted to see something else, but I've got absolutely no heroic fantasy stories. Arghh!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R, Alex! That's kind of positive though, but I hear you about not having the right story to send to a market when they say something like that. I have like one sword and sorcery story. :)

And thanks, Suzanne! Hopefully someone else will want to lol

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
A nice personal R from HFQ. They wanted to see something else, but I've got absolutely no heroic fantasy stories. Arghh!

Incentive to write a new one, eh?

Other than my Apex R from this morning, crickets all around today. The story Apex bounced is going to just have to sit for a few weeks. The places I'd want to send it next all already have something of mine. Patience, grasshopper... Or something like that.

Crickets, grasshoppers... A regular insect menagerie in that paragraph.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
So I didn't win the Glass Woman Ghost Story Contest, but I am waiting to see if I was among the 'top contenders'...it would be a nice consolation at least :).

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
Definietly time to write a new story Alex. :)

I've received 4 in the past two weeks (F&SF, Apex, IGMS, Flash Fiction Online). All are back out. I have some others at pro markets way over expected turnaround and I've suddenly decided to haunt dyotrope. I hate it!!!

ok back to the novel. I'm writing a starlit beach scene where my guy realizes he's in love with my female protag. it's an impossible relationship, but he's so sweet...

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Argh, a two rejection day! Personal R from Shimmer. It's special in that I've now reached at least 50 rejections! Whoo! Now to find a new market for it.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((hugs)))) for everyone.

I've had a load in recently. I had crickets for ages, and then a pile of Rs.
Maybe everyone is clearing out the slush before Christmas.

Brenda, that's a cracker of a rejection for Salmon man. Hope he finds a good home.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for Lillie and Izatright. Izatright, Clarkesworld is ridiculously hard. Don't feel bad about it at all. But hugs anyway :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Since the admittedly disappointing R from TNY the other day it's been all crickets.

*cree-cree*

Nice. Not sure if the next batch will come in just before Christmas or sometime after New Years. :/

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Victoriajakes. It only hurts a little. Naturally, after the rejection I noticed the ending needed a little work. :p

how can you not try though, right? imagine being accepted there...
Yeah, exactly. I've been reading through their first book anthology for inspiration. (BTW, the fourth story Chewing Up The Innocent was amazing, though had absolutely no real spec-fic elements). My only hope is their standards for choosing are still the same now as they were then.

Resubmitted the rejected story somewhere else with a new title and a new ending.